Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Dealing with the unkillables.  (Read 3837 times)

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
Re: Dealing with the unkillables.
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2010, 12:35:30 pm »

IDK, but it'll probably stun it long enough for the cage trap it's walking on to spring.

Quote from: Retro
Dwarven economics are still in the experimental stages. The humans have told them that they need to throw a lot of money around to get things going, but every time the dwarves try all they just end up with a bunch of coins lying all over the place.

The EPIC Dwarven Drinking Song of Many Names

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about logic/computing; I'm majoring in the topic.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2010, 12:39:02 pm »

IDK, but it'll probably stun it long enough for the cage trap it's walking on to spring.
I could've sworn that I read that certain mega/forgotten beasts are now stun immune and thus cannot be trapped at all. I sure hope a direct hit in a cave-in still manages to kill!

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2010, 12:46:31 pm »

Really?  That's Fun....

Quote from: Retro
Dwarven economics are still in the experimental stages. The humans have told them that they need to throw a lot of money around to get things going, but every time the dwarves try all they just end up with a bunch of coins lying all over the place.

The EPIC Dwarven Drinking Song of Many Names

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about logic/computing; I'm majoring in the topic.

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2010, 12:57:09 pm »

Shrike, 1) Fortifications prevent cave-ins, use buildings instead.
2) Cave-ins still instakill, regardless of their material.

RNG, just in case your fortress design did not account orbital bombardment, build the traps on additional wall layering. They-mess-design-up problem solved.
Problems with reusability should be solved by loading more than one cave-in charge and recharging your traps frequently. To do so, use hanging supports(example is in spoiler).
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Quantum Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • Schrödinger's Breakfast
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2010, 01:15:44 pm »

I thought constructions break apart into their materials if you drop them?

Still, even if they do, I guess there's always obsidian-casting to load the trap.
That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2010, 01:31:42 pm »

Yeah, they break apart if dropped, but first they break apart everything below them. Figuratively speaking, because cave-ins don't harm any items and leave corpses intact.

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2010, 02:28:15 pm »

Perhaps as a compromise with the people who don't like to build traps or any kind of 'doomsday device' style defences, the FBs and other really epic superbeasts should spawn less often.  Getting one every year kind of lessens the "OMGWTFRUNNN!!" factor.  In my mind, when they come it should be like opening the HFS in the last version: difficult to defeat without serious preparation, but definitely possible.
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2010, 02:33:01 pm »

Shrike, 1) Fortifications prevent cave-ins, use buildings instead.
2) Cave-ins still instakill, regardless of their material.

RNG, just in case your fortress design did not account orbital bombardment, build the traps on additional wall layering. They-mess-design-up problem solved.
Problems with reusability should be solved by loading more than one cave-in charge and recharging your traps frequently. To do so, use hanging supports(example is in spoiler).
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Ohh... that's a good idea. Thanks.

Still, even if they do, I guess there's always obsidian-casting to load the trap.

Good idea, but if you have obsidian casting, why not just encase them? Other than that... yeah, it could work.
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2010, 03:23:17 pm »

Stun, unconscious, and web are the 3 ways to overcome TRAPAVOID.  If they have explicit immunity to all 3, there is no way to cage them.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2010, 03:27:36 pm »

Stun, unconscious, and web are the 3 2 ways to overcome TRAPAVOID.  If they have explicit immunity to all 3 2, there is no way to cage them.
Fixed.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2010, 03:28:05 pm »

Coulda swore stunned creatures set off traps.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

highholyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2010, 03:36:29 pm »

If your not adverse to modding, you could use dfhack to drop magma, then water on it.

Pyrogenic Freezing. Cures all ills.

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2010, 03:44:08 pm »

Coulda swore stunned creatures set off traps.
They don't, just checked it on .31.
Pages: 1 2 [3]