Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Dealing with the unkillables.  (Read 3835 times)

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
Dealing with the unkillables.
« on: April 27, 2010, 02:45:05 pm »

Has anyone found an effective way to deal with the unkillable bronze colossi/titans/forgotten beasts? I know bronze colossi can be caged, and forgotten beasts can have a cave-in engineered to crush them, but aside from that it seems like there is no real way to get rid of these guys. When I lost a fort to a Lapis Lazuli FB, I swore myself off playing until this was fixed under the dilusion that it would be fixed within the next week or so... but it's been three weeks and we only just got an update from Toady saying that he will be working on the merge for a while, then interface/equipment problems after that, so apparently this problem isn't very high on Toady's priority list and won't be getting fixed for quite a while.

So I started a new fort, hoping maybe things would be slightly different. Maybe I just got unlucky with that particular FB. Not so. I lost my next fort in the same way, after getting one weak blood monster and a moderately difficult dinosaur, I got a steel beetle that crushed my dwarves again. So... I decided to post here. Does anyone know any way at all to make these possible to deal with? I know Bronze Colossi can be killed if they're changed from inorganic bronze to organic bronze(not sure what organic bronze is) but forgotten beasts are apparently hardcoded. I'm just looking for one of the following, in order to most preferred to least:

1) Way to kill them(seems unlikely)
2) Way to stop them from coming to visit my fortress.
3) Way to remove them from the game entirely,
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

Pickled Tink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dealing with the unkillables.
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 02:51:50 pm »

Deep pits, magma immersion, wall usage.

Deep pits: See if a really huge impact will kill them. If it doesn't, who cares? They are at the bottom of a really deep pit and won't bother you again.

Magma: Melt the suckers. If magma alone doesn't work, add water and encase them in obsidian. That will kill em dead.

Walls: Build walls so they can't get to you. They just get to sit outside bemoaning their dwarf- smashing-less fate and writing depressing poetry while your dwarves Attend Party. You don't need to hold the whole underground, you just need enough for farming.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 03:33:54 pm »

Don't breach the underground.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 03:57:26 pm »

3) Go into your raws folder under creature_standard and remove the entire raw for it.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 04:05:55 pm »

But what about the unkillible Forgotten Beasts?  They aren't in the raws.

Quote from: Retro
Dwarven economics are still in the experimental stages. The humans have told them that they need to throw a lot of money around to get things going, but every time the dwarves try all they just end up with a bunch of coins lying all over the place.

The EPIC Dwarven Drinking Song of Many Names

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about logic/computing; I'm majoring in the topic.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 04:10:47 pm »

Wouldn't temporary modding of your own dwarves solve the problem? Make them Slade Colossi, tweak their min/max strength to be at DBZ levels, then undo all this boosting after the unkillable is dead. As I recall from Arena test reports, Bronze Colossi and such inorganic monsters can be killed if you can cleave/behead it - something no dwarf can do but giants with slade 2H swords could.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2010, 04:24:17 pm »

something no dwarf can do but giants with slade 2H swords could.

Or 2-sworded hands.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

derekiv

• Bay Watcher
  • The smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2010, 04:31:26 pm »

If your not adverse to modding, you could use dfhack to drop magma, then water on it.

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2010, 05:19:54 pm »

Wouldn't temporary modding of your own dwarves solve the problem? Make them Slade Colossi, tweak their min/max strength to be at DBZ levels, then undo all this boosting after the unkillable is dead. As I recall from Arena test reports, Bronze Colossi and such inorganic monsters can be killed if you can cleave/behead it - something no dwarf can do but giants with slade 2H swords could.
No, with the latest update raws are stored alongside saves, and changing them can cause widespread system failure.

Quote from: Retro
Dwarven economics are still in the experimental stages. The humans have told them that they need to throw a lot of money around to get things going, but every time the dwarves try all they just end up with a bunch of coins lying all over the place.

The EPIC Dwarven Drinking Song of Many Names

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about logic/computing; I'm majoring in the topic.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2010, 06:06:54 pm »

Don't breach the underground.

And... what about the Titans? They still wander around... on the surface.

guess that could work... though it seems a little difficult.

If your not adverse to modding, you could use dfhack to drop magma, then water on it.

Hmm... easy and simple. I like it. Do you have a link to this dfhack? Can it also just delete them instead of encasing them in obsidian?

sinan

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2010, 06:23:12 pm »

i've found the best way to deal with them is a 20-25z drop, every un-killable i've dropped down there has turned into shrapnel. retractable bridges don't function for anything > size 10, so you need to made a bridge out of floor tiles with a support you can pull when the time is right.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2010, 06:28:13 pm »

i've found the best way to deal with them is a 20-25z drop, every un-killable i've dropped down there has turned into shrapnel. retractable bridges don't function for anything > size 10, so you need to made a bridge out of floor tiles with a support you can pull when the time is right.
Works for some I guess... but what about flyers?

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2010, 06:42:35 pm »

Aren't flyers also susceptible from cave-ins from above?  I have yet to try this out yet, but my plan to deal with my own unkillable is to create a 3x3 platform supported by a single pillar in the entrance to my fort.  As I understand it, unkillables will destroy most non-wall, non-fortification constructions.  So there's no lever-timing to worry about.  Absent any dwarves due to burrow alert and other destructibles, the baddie should head straight to the pillar, destroy it, and seal its own fate.  The pillar is its own bait!  Testing this as soon as I play next!

se5a

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2010, 06:50:01 pm »

No, with the latest update raws are stored alongside saves, and changing them can cause widespread system failure.

I've been piddling with the saved raws the last two little updates to no ill effects.
giving hair and cartilage the [shell] tag for example stopped me loosing yet another bunch of dwarfs to moods where I can't get any shell - in the middle of a game (save, edit, load)

Shrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2010, 07:55:18 pm »

Aren't flyers also susceptible from cave-ins from above?  I have yet to try this out yet, but my plan to deal with my own unkillable is to create a 3x3 platform supported by a single pillar in the entrance to my fort.  As I understand it, unkillables will destroy most non-wall, non-fortification constructions.  So there's no lever-timing to worry about.  Absent any dwarves due to burrow alert and other destructibles, the baddie should head straight to the pillar, destroy it, and seal its own fate.  The pillar is its own bait!  Testing this as soon as I play next!

In much the same way as a statue can be used to stopper a magma vat from below.
Pages: [1] 2 3