Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56

Author Topic: Godhood I Play Thread  (Read 75822 times)

bulborbish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Godhood
« Reply #795 on: July 01, 2010, 10:36:45 am »

You misunderstand me, Frandor. I am willing to aid in the fight right now, but I recognize the need for a different plan of attack than the one that lacks any subtle forces at work. Tell me, have you struck out against Astra'ath and failed to do any significant damage over the long term? Then you need a different plan of action. One can cut down a tree, given time, but it is not as effective as burning the roots and letting it weaken before you bring the axe to it. Like a tree, Astra'ath can be beaten given time, but it would be more effective to eliminate the source of his power so damage can be effective.

I agree to the premise that a bond can help cover the weaknesses of one with the strengths of another. Cooperation often leads to better results during troubled times. Our bond shall Increase both of our individual powers, leading to a more stable universe.

Buathal Gazed out to see the Eye of Terror and shuddered before continuing.

I can guess that the Eye of Terror will become the focal point of his power. Over time, I suspect that the majority of his efforts will stem from that area. If we initiate an inquiry to eliminate or weaken the effects of the Eye, an attack on his power would be easier to commence.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: July 01, 2010, 05:02:49 pm »

Nemani ate and drank lightly, preferring to watch the other guests of the banquet, many of whom took much greater relish in their food.    The tribal chiefs and elders feasted on the captured animals and gathered fruits strewn across the great wooden table (actually a series of smaller tables joined and covered with an extensive cloth) set up within the temple hall.  Quaffing ale from horns they toasted Gheronaton and sucked heartily on the fat and grease of roasted hindquarters.  Around them stood thirty young men in plain dress, carrying slightly concave steel platters upon which further fruit and drink rested.  At the far end of the table sat Tasset, resplendent in the one piece of leather and steel scale armour Thirk had managed to produce, more as a show of craftsmanship than a threat.  Besides, he had gone without a weapon to put the diners at ease.

Once enough food had been consumed that Nemani felt sure his guests were sufficiently weighed down by meat and ale, the priest rose and struck a copper goblet with a knife to attract attention.

"Elders, chiefs, friends, companions," he greeted.  "I thank you all for travelling here to celebrate this harvest eve, for great changes are coming upon our tribes.  As you know, I speak for the temple of Gheronaton on Aether, and I look out for the interests of our people - all our peoples.  Some of you agree with the word of Gheronaton and have pilgrimaged here yourself to pay respects to Him.  Some may have had their people make their own pilgrimages to this place.  Others may not believe, but have profited nevertheless from the temple's interests in trade and finance.  We are stronger now than before our trade links were established.  Is it my hope that we may continue such a profitable relationship!"  There was a small murmur of assent from the table.

"As you know, peaceful as Aether may be, there are still threats.  The orcs continue to raid and kill, and there are tales of a great beast that hunts our neighbours the elves - many of whom are beginning to band together.  I know some of you are feeling threatened by this.  Yet we have an advantage - we have steel, and the skill to shape it."

"Yet you will not share these secrets!" called out one of the chieftains.  Nemani recognised him as Galen, a sweaty, obese human in loose robes, fingers thick with bright stones on carved wooden rings.  "Why should your people keep the glory, the power of war - the power to defend yourselves while others must suffer the predation of the orcs!"  There was a rather loud rumble of assent from across the table.  Nemani raised his hands for peace.

"It is true that we have kept close hold of this knowledge, yes, but I am pleased to announce that this will no longer remain the case.  I can assure you that by the end of this meeting, steel will go to each and every one of your villages."

"And what of your interest in this?" demanded an elder, a thin and grey man by the name of Alden.  "I'm sorry, I meant 'Gheronaton's' interest.  He always takes such a large interest in our loans, I daresay He will take His tithe of this as well?"

"Indeed.  To represent Gheronaton's interest in protecting your villages from destruction and war, He will ask a tithe of you - a tax of one twentieth."

"A twentieth of what?" asked Galen.

"Of your harvest.  Of your crafts.  Of your young men."

The room rose into uproar as every elder tried to shout his or her own view on the matter.  Nemani watched silently through the raucous hubbub, and so great was the noise that none heard the subtle clunk of the temple doors being barred from the outside.  He remained standing until it became clear the chiefs were not planning on quietening by themselves, so Nemani picke dup his copper goblet and turned, lobbing it with such force at the copper bell above the altar that it rang out.  Liquid sound spread throughout the room, quelling every voice and lowering the elders to their seats until only Nemani remained standing.  He cast his eyes around the room from elder to elder before he spoke again.

"Let me talk to you about grass, revered elders, and why it is the reason we cannot build anything that lasts.  Not buildings, not farms, not societies.  Every human village I have ever seen suffers the same problem - we breed sheep, we raise crops, and the very ground is drained of the life we need.  Some say that this is just the way, but I have seen fields grow back.  I have watched land renew.

"It is the responsibility of a leader to look out for his people.  His own concerns are nothing to that of his tribe.  The interests of the tribe are prosperity, are proliferation, are continuation.  Every time a tribe must move, this is put at threat.  Every field you turn to dust is a failure of your responsibilities to your people.  I judge that each and every one of you has failed to care for your people."

"What nonsense is this?" Galen scoffed, his rings jingling.  "We eat well in my tribe!  I have brought great prosperity!"

"No, I have brought prosperity," said Nemani.  "I worked to wring the best out of people, me and my acolytes and the temple, we made people sit up and work for their living, work harder than they ever did before, and everyone has prospered by it.  It was Ruk who travelled to each of your tribes, who set about the work of fighting through your prejudices and petty hatreds, of helping you overcome them just enough to look after your own self-interest rather than succomb to spite.  You eat well in your tribe, Galen, any man can see that by looking.  But your people?  Your people will starve when the lean season comes because you fail to store your provisions.  Your tribe has moved six times in your lifetime, Alden, once here and five upon the world you left.  Each time you have left nothing bust dust in your wake.  Already your own lands are growing barren.  How many more seasons can you wring out of it before you have to move again?"

"This will not do," Nemani continued, leaning gently forward so his palms were pressed against the tabletop.  "So as of tonight, I am taking control.  Of this village, and of every one of your villages, to save them from you."  The angry shouting began to rise again, so Nemani picked up another goblet and slammed it hard against the table until he had the elders' ears again.  "Any man who does not agree, who feels that it is not worth surrendering their power for the best interests of their people, who wishes to stand against me, may stand and I promise that they will never have to submit to my rule.  Any who do not, or who feel that this bears consideration before they disagree, by all means sit and remain to hear the extent of my proposal, which will include protection, the power of steel and stronger trade than ever before."

Alden stood first, followed by his guard.  Galen rose an unsteady second, wobbling slightly with the effort.  One by one a total of seven chiefs and their companions stood.  Nemani sighed, frowning inwardly - just over half had chosen to oppose his decision.  With a heavy heart, he nodded to Tassel.

"Now!" shouted the commander.

Fourteen of the servants tipped their steel serving platters until, robbed of the food they carried, they quite suddenly became shields.  They drew long steel knives from their backs and with lightning swiftness plunged them into the backs of the opposing chiefs and their companions, again and again.  The initial strike was so quick that the opposition was already bleeding out on the ground before the remaining chieftains began to scream in panic and try to rise.  The remaining sixteen bared their shields and weapons, forming a ring around the suddenly captive leadership of the opposing Aetheran tribes.

"Now that I have your undivided attention," said Nemani as the bodies cooled, "let me explain to you how things are going to be.  Those of you who have agreed to submit to my rule will be allowed to continue in your capacity as chiefs.  However, your position is no longer sacred.  I will be your Tyrant, and as such can and will replace you as necessary with men of my choosing.  You will otherwise continue to run your tribes as normal, with a few exceptions.

"The first exception is that there will now be laws, codes of conduct that will be enforced by yourselves and myself on pain of various penalties.  Not only is this to ensure the honouring of contracts, but to preserve life and property - except for that of those who break those laws, let us call such an act a crime and such men criminals.  The first such law, before any provisions against murder and theft - of which there will be, I assure you - is to keep off the grass.  There will be prohibitions against having too many animals on a piece of pasture, against farming a single field too long without letting the ground rest and recover.  These laws will ensure the safety and prosperity of our people.

"The second exception is that you will no longer keep warriors of your own.  Your warriors are now to travel to this place to train in our new military, to serve the united state as soldiers and to help build.  Once done, warriors of a different village will return to your village to act as your protection, skillfully trained, armed and armoured to help protect you.  I will see no more squabbling between different tribes - we are all now one people under Gheronaton.

"Third, the worship of Gheronaton will now become standard for our people.  A shrine will be built in every village, and all who serve in our army will pay their respects to war, in the hope that we may have peace.  Our villages will unite as a city, a ruling power over the land we hold.  All land was made by the gods, and since Gheronaton protects our land, we will pay Him His interest as tax.

"And finally, we shall unite beneath a name for our city.  It will not be named after me, for that would be hypocrisy given the responsibility of leaders, nor shall it be named after Gheronaton, for He needs no such appellations.  Our city shall be named after the metal that made it strong.  We unite under the name of Steol.

"You are to return to your villages to spread the news, each of you accompanied by my guards.  Any dissent will be met with swiftly and decisively.  You are to carry out my orders and then resume your responsibilities as leaders.  Those tribes now without leadership will be appointed new governors.  Would anyone like to say anything?"

"Just one," said a grizzled old huntsman to Nemani's left.  He grabbed a knife from the table and lunged, screaming; "Death to the Tyrant!"

Nemani caught him by the wrist and, with motions practised over years of fighting, broke it and caught hold of the knife.  With a sudden thrust the knife cut beneath the old huntsman's sternum.  Nemani twisted, false ribs cracking under the pressure until he had carved a ragged semi-circle, into which he thrust his free hand.  To the shock and awe of everyone present, he wrenched the dissenter's still-beating heart from his chest and took a bite from it.

Staring down the entire hall, Nemani chewed three times before spitting the fragment out, apparently in disgust but mostly because it is impossible to chew raw heart for any length of time.

"I am your Tyrant, and I rule.  You are dismissed."

Nemani forcibly attempts to unite the surrounding villages into the first mortal City-State, Steol.
Steol is governed by a Tyrannical Theocracy.
Nemani institutes Tyranny.
Tyranny is a stable enough government to allow permanent settlements with agriculture.
Nemani orders Gheronatonic shrines to be built throughout the city-state.
Gheronatonism becomes the state religion of Steol.
[all mortal, all of merely questionable success]

----

Nemani wiped the last of the blood from his mouth and sipped at the horn of ale.  Nearly everyone had left, save Tassel and Ruk.  The normally jolly trader and farmer had grown pale at the evening's events.  He worked up the courage to approach the new Tyrant.

"This isn't how I thought things would go," said Ruk.

"None of us did," said Nemani, "but that's how they've turned out."

"I joined up with you for peace, Nemani.  For prosperity!"  Ruk ran a palm down his face.  Nemani gave him a sad, almost pitying look.

"Then why join a temple devoted to war?"  He sighed.  "This is the way to peace, old friend.  To prosperity, even.  Even now they will think of fighting back, but left to their own devices the tribes would fight one another for eternity.  We are bringing the people together, and through that we will move forward."

Ruk shook his head.  He stood up and walked away.  The temple doors slammed behind him.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: July 01, 2010, 05:41:54 pm »

Mania awoke from his coma in a pure white room, the walls and roof made entirely of a single bone. There were native flowers to the region in pots, again made of bone. The whole display was rather disturbing, though it managed to be calming at the same time. Mania felt himself, and winced. He was out of power, as well as too long in this form. He shifted himself to a woman with black tar seeping from her eyes and mouth, and honey coating her skin. Mania shifted the covers beneath her, spreading the tar and honey throughout the bed. The demigods sitting beside the bed smirked.
"Good evening, my Lord. I trust you slept well?" they said simultaniously.
"Q-quite." Mania stuttered. His throat felt quite dry.
"Good. You should be up and about soon."
"I feel... I feel like..."
"Hmm?" said the woman. Reaver stood at the foot of the bed, waiting.
"Sanity is growing again. The war is over. Ish."
"Astra'Ath has calmed down for the time being." Said Reaver, his voice a deep rumble. "The war is not over, but a cease-fire has been called. The gods are calming."
"That's no good! How am I to create myself a world that's actually interesting without madness, without discord?!" Mania sputtered tar all over her bare chest. Her breasts were heaving, and her breathing was rather heavy too.
"Mortals. Mortals! MORTALS! I need insanity! I cannot feed myself!" and Mania evaporated, leaving nothing behind but a foul odor and two frightened subjects. They feared for their lord.

Behind Nemani a man appeared. His face was a gaunt thing, black as midnight and wreathed in shadow. He wore a colorful jesters outfit, and carried a cane made of a living, writhing snake. His mouth was... Well, he had no mouth.
  "Turn, mortal. Look upon the god of madness." He said, his voice a chorus of small children.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: July 01, 2010, 06:16:13 pm »

Nemani's first impulse upon witnessing the bewildering, unnerving sight in front of him was to cry like a little girl and be reduced to a gibbering wreck - which was in fact what the only other mortal in the room, the commander Tasset, proceeded to do.  The elf priest very nearly followed suit, but a soft humming in the back of his mind seemed to stop him from going completely mad, and settled for simply being brought to the edge of his sanity.

The edge of sanity tasted oddly like cod liver oil.

For want of a better word, Nemani settled with; "Gleep?"
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: July 01, 2010, 06:25:26 pm »

Mania blinked. "Hardimin gizzle dormo gatu?"
Thou art I, I art Thou.
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: July 01, 2010, 06:26:38 pm »

Behind the two, a shard of the Voidwalker manifested itself as a black wasp, buzzing about the room. It simply watched the interesting mortal, buzzing about.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: July 01, 2010, 06:33:20 pm »

"Uh..."  Ohhh crap.  What is this?  God of madness?  Aaargh!  What do I say?  Maybe if I just mumble incoherently he'll go away?

"Bleeb apargle ftarg'n?" mumbled Nemani.  He really hoped nobody was watching this, because right now everything sane in the world had just leapt out the window or collapsed into a heap by the door.  Somewhere in the background, Tasset was sobbing into his knees.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: July 01, 2010, 06:40:19 pm »

"You know, you really ought to speak a language you know. This one doesn't flatter you. Oh, and theres a bit of saliva hanging off your lip ther."
Mania reached over and with a single gloved finger wiped the bit of saliva off of Nemani's lip. He tasted it.
"Interesting. You eat alot of oats."
Mania waited patiently for a comprehensible sentance from Nemani. It's bad form to read others thoughts.
Thou art I, I art Thou.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #803 on: July 01, 2010, 06:42:17 pm »

Shadows flow and coalesce next to Mania, forming a robed figure with an empty hood floating about a foot off the ground.

It stared silently at Nemani, waiting while Mania conversed.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: July 01, 2010, 06:44:20 pm »

"Right.  Okay," said Nemani.  He was vaguely aware of a moth in the room, and somewhere in the background Tasset had curled up into a ball.  Try not to remember that it's a faceless thing that can destroy you on a whim, he told himself.

"Well, ah... Greetings, oh God of Madness!  Forgive me, but the only gods I've heard about by name before now were Gheronaton, Luna and Alex.  What's your-  uh, if it's not too impertinent to ask, do you have a name?  And what can we do for you in this temple?"

Nemani suddenly became aware of a empty robe floating next to Mania and, deciding the whole day was likely to be written off as a bad batch of ale, decided to genuflect briefly to both of them.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #805 on: July 01, 2010, 06:49:01 pm »

As Nemani drops to one knee, the robed figure approaches. It fades directly through Mania as though it were made of smoke.

nemani, you have come to the attention of my master

and now we find you consorting with our enemy

It stares down at Nemani, the empty hood somehow projecting malice.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: July 01, 2010, 06:56:39 pm »

"I'm here as a messenger, as well as in my own capacity to drive as many people mad as possible. But mostly that first bit. Everyone else seems to be here as well. I am Mania, and only Mania. I prefer to be called Mania, as being tied even to a gender pains me."
He gestures to the nightgaunt.
 "This would be one of Astra'Aths creations. Astra'Ath is a giant tentacle moon with some very evil happenings going on in his cults. I don't think he cares about good or evil though."
He points at the wasp, bidding it to show it's true form.
 "This is The Chained God. We don't know his name, so I call him Nick. He's a bit of a downer, but not a total Harentur like Astra'Ath."
 "There are also others, like the God of Crows, who eats dead people, Destiny, who you've met, but never known, and Xarn, who is the big cheese." Mania drifts off a bit, his 'eyes' glazing over. "Mmm, cheese. But whatever, the point is, you've been terribly misinformed! You act as if the pantheon is all one or two gods! It's not! There are..." Mania attempts to count on his fingers, but uses the same hand repeatedly and loses count. "...Alot!" He exclaims, a gout of flame shooting from the snakes mouth and singing the wasp a little. He glances about, as if noticing the others for the first time. "Oh, did you want to speak? Say your peice." He bows and backs into the far corner, where he begins to juggle.
Thou art I, I art Thou.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: July 01, 2010, 06:59:12 pm »

Nemani looked warily at the shadowy figure, trying to keep down the instinct to run and find a nice, safe rock to hide under.

"I beg your pardon, spirit, but who is your master?"

Then Mania intervened and spoke, and Nemani listened.  It took a short time for the information to soak in.

"It seems there are... many more gods in the heavens than I had been led to believe.  But what do they wish of us mere mortals?  Beyond, ah, driving us insane."  Nemani felt himself edging away from Mania as the mad god juggled, albeit edging on one knee.  The naming of Astra'ath sent prickles up the back of his neck for reasons he could not understand.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #808 on: July 01, 2010, 07:03:38 pm »

Several more gaunts fade into existence from darkness which had seemed mere mundane shadow but now twisted into nightmare apparitions.

The room begins to dim.

The shadowy figures form a semicircle around Nemani, baleful gazes directed at the kneeling mortal as they speak in whispered chorus.

We are the Brood

Servants of Astra'ath

Glory to Its Name

You would do well to avoid conflict with our Master,

Or dealings with Its enemies.

The shadowy figures are slowly, slowly drifting closer and closer to Nemani.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: July 01, 2010, 07:08:17 pm »

"Stay away from him Astra'Ath. He's been claimed. You have no right to be encroaching on anothers territory." Said a teenage boy, in a silken tunic. His muscles looked flimsy, but from the way he held himself it was obvious he was more powerful than he looked. He carried a sword just a little too big for plausability, even for a god. He looked mad.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56