Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 56

Author Topic: Godhood I Play Thread  (Read 75833 times)

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Godhood
« Reply #780 on: June 27, 2010, 09:12:47 am »

Coradin made his way down to the planet and entered the Refugium. He decided he would get straight to the point now.

'As you might know, I have an army ready against Astra'ath. However, I have lately become worried... I am not the god of war. In fact, I have almost no experience with the matters of warfare. You, however...' he indicated everything around them with a wave of his hand. ' They need to be trained. I have determined Incendium would be the best planet for such training. I doubt they would let your creations teach them - they are a proud race - but your planet is already filled with dangers. If you'd choose a specific area they could fight the denizens of this planet in, perhaps with opponents chosen by your warriors - in the process training them, even if my Valkyries would not know - I'd be most grateful. I would also create a fortress for them in orbit of this planet, one that would also help with the defense of this planet.
This is what I ask of you, brother. I hope you accept. Only together can we defeat the monster that is Astra'ath.'
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
  • Innocence proves nothing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: June 27, 2010, 09:30:07 am »

Gheronaton considered Coradins words. He liked the idea. "That sounds like a valid and reasonable suggestion, brother." Gheronaton walked to the table where a massive map of Incendium rested.

Incendium consisted of five big continents, and thousands of smaller islands. All Continents were too heavily populated and many islands offered only a small variety of creatures. But finally he found a medium sized island, without any permanent settlements but with every feature that Incendium had to offer: Mountains, volcanoes, caves, forests, rivers, hills.. And populated by various creatures and just a handful of tribes.

"Look Coradin, this island is perfectly suited for your purpose. You can find every creature there, yet there are no villages on it but enough ferals to test their skills against mortals. I don`t want that your valkyries harrass the populace of other islands, or continents, but you can do whatever you want with the tribes of that island. Theres no need for my warriors to select opponents for you`ll find everything you need on it: Dinosaurs, dragons, elementals, giants. Everything. "

"If you want we can organize manoeuvres with my chosen from time to time. The island will serve perfectly for this purpose, i think. Do you have any more wishes, brother?"

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: June 27, 2010, 09:43:59 am »

'We are done here, that island is good enough. I will go and construct the fortress now. My Valkyries can come down by shuttle once ready.'

The Valkyries would soon get on their ships and start the journey to Incendium. In the meantime, he had a fortress he needed to build...

The massive building complex began forming in his hands; quarters for all the Valkyries, basic medical facilities, equipment storages, docking bays for the frigates and naturally, an entire section dedicated for artwork of all kinds, where the Valkyries could spend their spare time and rest. All enclosed within two linked white-and-red, highly ornamented pyramids. Further facilities and defenses would have to come later on. He felt exhausted just from this.

Coradin creates the Stronghold in orbit of Incendium
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: June 27, 2010, 10:23:30 am »

A librarian approaches Dragnar with a message from Coradin, delivered it, and then left without a word. After reading it, Dragnar travels to Incendium where Coradin's new fortress takes little time to spot.

"Coradin, you were looking for me?"
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: June 27, 2010, 10:49:11 am »

Coradin's thoughts were interrupted abruptly by Dragnar's voice.

'Hmm? Ah, yes. There is a little town on Aether one of my Muses happened to stumble upon. There in the temple - a temple dedicated to our brother Gheronaton here - was the gift I saw Mania give you. Why is it there? And what do you know about this town? This same Muse sensed divine energies at play there, more than what would have come from simply your visit. I can't help but to wonder what is going on.'

Fortis

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: June 27, 2010, 11:07:32 am »

Luna again observed her creations, and those she brought as refugees from the nameless world. One village was prospering, where a temple to Gheronaton had been built. There, the beginnings of commerce and writing was being laid, and people from the different races were gathering, hoping to make their fortune as well. Luna thought it odd that Gheronaton chose to have a temple on a world of peace, but it did not overly concern Luna. He might be the god of war, but he was also the god of honor as well, she would trust him and leave the temple and growing village in peace. Meanwhile, she rested on the ground, and spoke with the young Aether.

“Hey, Luna, one of these villages is real scared of something,” Aether mentioned, her attention directed elsewhere. “Something shadowy keeps spooking the people. Hasn’t hurt anyone though.” Luna looked towards the village, but could see nothing.

“Where is it? I don’t see it,” Luna asked.

“There, that shadowy thing. It’s hiding in the trees. Did you see that? It just sent that elf screaming.” Aether said. Luna saw the elf in question, but not what had terrified it. A thing of shadow she could not see, but other eyes could.

“He sent it back?” Luna said, realizing what it was. “Aether, do what you can to contain the beast of shadow. I must go.”

Luna stood, and left the world of Aether. Behind her, Aether began to erect wards, trying to trap the Reaver, and keep it from terrorizing the village. Luna, meanwhile, took to space, moving through the great void between worlds. She made for Ss’Vadgrin, the volcanic and storming world the Chained God had made. She flew down amid the storms, looking over the bare, ash covered ground. She cared not for the beings of shadow and flame, but looked for their master.

“Chained one! Voidwalker! Come forth!” Luna called out amid the thunder of the storms.

<><><><><>

"Thank you, mighty Gheronaton," The Elysian replied. "I will let my mistress know. Send your warriors, but be discerning. Though they may be few in number, let those who have lost their taste for battle and lust for blood remain on Aether."

Aether tries to contain the reaver with wards.
Luna goes to Ss’Vadgrin, seeking the Chained god.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: June 27, 2010, 11:43:30 am »

"I sent Mania's gift to that village because it is a tool of discovery, and the people there were rapidly advancing even without it. With the Fork's aid they will most likely reach even greater heights. As for divine powers worked there... I do not know. There is something guiding those people, but there does not appear to have been any direct intervention from this force."
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: June 27, 2010, 12:40:16 pm »

'That is... interesting. I will keep an eye on this village.'

The Valkyrie fleet was approaching. He would give them some time before starting the training sessions. Then... he would see if they really were up to the task ahead.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: June 27, 2010, 01:30:06 pm »

Observe, Respond.
Chained Gate. Danger. Destruction, observation end.
Malian. Trickery/lies. Unpredictable/unreliable. Postpone possible bond.
Destiny. Indefinable/inconcievable. bond difficult/impossible.
Buathal. order/logic. Strong resonance. strong potential bond.
Mania, star. Multicoloured. Noteworthy.
Mania, planets. Appelations - Anger, Love, Epiphany, Greed. Observe.
Buathal, rift. concurrence/resonance.
Astra'ath, Eye of terror. Observe, caution.
Luna, Aether. Similarities/concurrence. Observe.
Coradin, warships. Noteworthy.
Astra'ath, creatures. Noteworthy.
Chained god, sanctums. Noteworthy.
Coradin, stronghold. Noteworthy.
Responses: Contact Buathal, other actions unneccesary.
Continue with primary plan.

Frandor blocks other gods from acting in the space enclosed by Chara's shell.

Query to Buathal
Mutual interests/resonance. Common danger/threat: Astra'ath. Offer bond - together grow, together fight, together fall.

Buathal, we contact you. We are Chara and Frandor.
There is a common threat that faces us all. It goes by the name of Astra'ath, and it will be the death of us all unless we act. Already the destruciton it has caused, both directly and indirectly, is immense. The very gods themselves are doing battle with this beast - twice before we have clashed, and its might has been terrible. Not even the gods are safe from it. Though you have not taken a side in this conflict yet, you will have to at some point. Neutrality cannot be sustained in this war. Others have tried to seek it, trying to escape destruction. They have merely postponed it, and some have not even done that. We come to you in the hopes that you will join us in this conflict. There will be danger and destruction, we will not lie. But this danger and destruction will await you no matter what you choose. By accepting our offer, the peril you face will be lessened.
To facilitate this, we are offering you a bond with us. Individually, we are weak and flawed. By bonding with others, we become closer and our weaknesses and flaws can be remedied. It is this bond that we offer you. Together we shall grow to be more than any other god. Together we shall fight our foes with a ferocity and might that is unparalleled. Together, we shall overcome death itself.
We therefore ask you: will you accept our bond?

HailFire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: June 27, 2010, 08:30:23 pm »

Satae strode across the frozen tundra of Natus' north pole, leaving fresh snow undisturbed in her wake. When she'd arrived on Natus, the tower hadn't been difficult to locate; while few of the Ta'rai native to Natus favored the frozen wastes, rumours of the forest of flowers there and the magnificent white spire that crowned it had spread quickly through the higher echelons of those  intelligent enough to communicate, as had stories of the legions of insect creatures that supposedly lived in labyrinthine tunnels below it.

It did leave her wondering, though: why would Natus, one so loving of light and life, seclude himself to the most frigid and barren part of his world, and surround himself with an army of such creatures? As it did contain the knowledge of the Over-God, though, there was no telling what sort of powers were contained in the tome her brother had aquired, or what it had done to his mind.

Each step carrying her miles over the plain, she soon arrived at the perimeter of the forest of Xarn's minions.

-----

"Ready... LOOSE!"

The order rang out across the half-completed crystal wall, and levers on war machines there were thrown, hurling great iron-tipped bolts towards the advancing force of orcish raiders. While the group wasn't perhaps large enough for them to be fully effective, great spears raining down, crushing and impaling orcs and mounts from afar was crippling to the raiders' morale. After three barrages, those who hadn't broke and fled were cut down by swordsmen and axemen as they approached.

Atop a watchtower, two cloaked figures stood, surveying the carnage. The taller of the two nodded with satisfaction, but his shorter companion shrugged dismissively, obviously less than impressed.

"Not too bad, but yer machines are too slow, and they aren't accurate fer piss out that far. You took down maybe a quarter of the group, a third of them ran like dogs, and my soldiers had to bring down the rest."

"Perhaps, Olon," Akkataromondamias conceded, "but these are only the prototypes, and their operators are untrained. By the time those raiders attack again, my ballistae with fire farther and faster, with greater accuracy.

Few manners of beast can survive the impact of one of those bolts, either; should something larger than these "Orcs" invade, they'll still be effective where swords and spears are not."

The dwarf took a swig from his flask. "True, true." He mused. "P'r'aps you could make a smaller version, one that doesn' need a stand. They'd be easier to make in quant'ty; give those ta men on the wall, and you could balance out power fer accuracy. You could'n' get as much range off 'em, sure, but they'd prob'ly still pack enough punch ta pierce armor."

"Hmm... An interesting proposition, and certainly one we can test. Shall we discuss the details over drinks, commander, and set the craftsmen to work on them tomorrow?"

In the final hours of the Nameless World, as Chara descended into the bisected planet to confront Astra'ath, most of the sentient races had taken Luna's dream to heart and fled the coming apocalypse. The Humans there had established a couple new villages by then, however, and had departed at different times, separating them, and each group had left the hall of refuge they had arrived at in a different direction, spreading the race across Aether.

When they arrived, Akkataromondamias had felt the presence of his kindred, lurking in the shadows of the forests and rivers, waiting to strike at unwary mortals. How could they be here? The twilit world was nothing like Natus, and as he led the humans up into the mountains, he could tell from the ones they encountered on the journey that these Ta'rai weren't like the ones there, either; No god had rounded them up and thrown the malevolent ones into a volcano, certainly, and, in fact, they seemed to be even more violent on average.

In the mountains, however, they discovered the dwarves who had immigrated there; while both sides were distrustful at first, Akkataromondamias had quickly grown fond of them- like himself and his charges, they were hardy, industrious, and curious, and soon, an alliance was forged.

While the Scholar who had arrived at his village to teach so long ago had unfortunately perished in the chaos surrounding their departure from the Nameless World, he continued the exchange of knowledge, and his growing body of knowledge of architecture and engineering synchronized well with the dwarves' knowledge of mining and metallurgy. Together, they worked to expand the dwarf clan's mining camp into a sizable fortress over the course of the next year, repelling all invaders.

As satisfying as the progress of the last year had been, though, he couldn't help but wonder what had happened to the rest of his people... It was his divine mission to guide and protect them, after all. He resolved to send out scouting parties the next day, after the morning's tests.
[22:59] <apotheoseGrifter> COMMIT SUDOKU ALL NIGHT LONG FUCK YEAH
[18:14] <The_Gamemaster> I am here.
[18:14] <The_Gamemaster> I am always here.
[18:15] <The_Gamemaster> I have always been here, and I always will be here. I am the alpha and the omega, the beginning and the end.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: June 28, 2010, 02:25:54 am »

The Chained God appeared in front of the elf deity, ignoring her angry stares. It sighed, its voice rumbling, and closed its tome. Over the roar of storms and volcanoes, the deity asked its colleague a question, its voice curt.

"What is it, Luna? What do you want now?"
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: June 28, 2010, 06:42:21 am »

'Behind you!'
The warning came just in time. She threw herself to the ground just as a pair of razor-sharp branches slashed through the air towards her.
The air around her staff... twisted as she fingered the activation button. ' Come on then. Let's stop wasting time and do this' she whispered, bringing the staff up to a defensive position.

Her opponent was a... tree. It sounded ridiculous, but in reality wasn't. The tree was supernaturally strong, and could cut through a stone wall if it wanted.
Of course, it couldn't move much, though it's roots covered a huge area, but it was still an opponent like any other.

The branches came down, but she was already moving. With the help of the staff, she pulled herself up straight through the tree's attack, and sank the staff into the tree's trunk, the energy field easily burning through. The noise that followed sounded like screaming, and was accompanied by one of the roots of the tree arising from the very ground beneath her. Before she could strike at it, she was already flying through the air, towards an oddly-coloured cliff.
She crashed heavily against the cliff, and could feel her bones cracking, but the combat meds were already kicking in. She heard an odd sound, like growling, but was not sure where it was coming from. She climbed up the cliff and looked around. There were no signs of any predators, which was quite surprising, actually.

There was the growl again, but where...
The lizard opened it's eyes.

Not a cliff. Not a cliff at all.

For the second time that day, she was thrown through the air. This time she landed in a pool of dirty forest water. There was little water on Incendium, the seas were made of magma.

The reptilian beast was now fully awake, and took a few steps towards her. It was gigantic, and probably carnivorous. Almost everything here was.
The staff spun back into position, and she began to move towards the thing. Coradin had brought them here for training, but she had not expected... this.
They had challenging opponents, true. More than challenging.

The lizard suddenly leapt forward, and the next thing she saw was it's teeth. Rows and rows of razor-sharp teeth. She had brought the staff up, but it was no use.
The full bulk of the reptilian beast had crashed onto her and pushed her against the ground. The staff rolled away into the woods.
She doubted her armour would hold the beast's teeth for long. This was it, then. She had expected to die fighting, but not fighting this... animal. It was no worthy foe, it killed just to eat. She, a Valkyrie, had become prey. In the worst case, her name would be scrubbed from the Hall of Legends aboard the Instrument of War.
Just for the best. She was no true warrior.
She could feel the beast's mouth close around her, those teeth piercing deeper and deeper through her armour...

The beast growled - but in pain this time. She recognized the hissing sound of the shardgun. ' I do not like to see any of my sisters hurt. If that didn't impress you, how about this?'
The voice was familiar. Aryven. The words were followed by the 'whirr' of a shrieker powering up. Instinctively, she brought her now-free hands to cover her hears, despite the helmet. They had used to train without the suits.
Aryven opened fire. The shrieker rounds began to hammer the lizard's head armour, but it seemed more bothered by the sound made by the gun than the hits.
Growling one last time, the reptilian beast turned away from Aryven and disappeared into the landscape.

She got up, but dropped to one knee as soon as she got to Aryven.  ' I beg for punishment. I was defeated by that... that creature.'
The other Valkyrie shook her head. When she spoke, her tone was almost amused. ' Don't be foolish. I saw the thing take enough shots to down any normal foe without flinching. I could only give you a punishment for wasting my time, Valkyrie. Now go and pick up your staff. We leave soon, but there is still time to... train.'
She frowned, but stood back up. She still should've won the creature, but there was no point in arguing with another Valkyrie, especially not with Aryven.
The staff was easy to find, the energy field still active.

The training continued.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 06:57:28 am by Digital Hellhound »

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: June 28, 2010, 02:30:48 pm »

Nemani admired the fork attached to the top of his new ceremonial staff, gleaming like steel.  Another fork hung over the door to the temple (on the inside), a third was concealed in a pouch around his chest and the remainder were hidden along with the curious ruby necklace the Firstborn had brought in the new concealed chamber within the altar, above which hung a shiny new copper bell for calling services.  Urist's work had been much appreciated, and Nemani had reallocated him to the forges making weaponry and ensured he could have enough drink to drown in - provided he wasn't on the job.

There were still matters that troubled him, however, and for this reason he had called Thirk to meet him.  The flint chipper-turned-metalworker gave a deep bow and Nemani could not help but notice the copper bangles around his wrists.  Evidently Thirk was doing well out of the temple's rise also.

"How are things progressing with the metalwork?" Nemani asked.

"We're trying to wrap our heads around it," said Thirk, "and a few of the men can work metal and even smelt steel, but we're not really equipped to outfit an army or anything.  We'll need more time to learn the techniques, but right now we're all still trying to learn from the metal men.  They aren't exactly chatty, you know."

"What about ore?"

"Ironborn again.  The one you named Dash helps that dwarf out at the old dwarf mining site, but we still haven't had a solid response from the dwarves yet as to whether they'll chip in.  It'd help if Urist would bloody teach us the tricks of mining.  I mean, we get the smash rocks until they come open bit, it's just picking out the right ones.  Trouble is the dwarf's too busy or too drunk to tell us."

"He's stretched out thin enough as is,"  said Nemani.  "I'm afraid we'll need to wait until we get a positive response from the dwarven clans to try and learn those techniques.  With the ore we've got and using your men to assist the Ironborn in putting them together, do you think you could outfit a large group with steel blades and shields?"

"It'll be a stretch, but aye," said Thirk.  "Do you have something in mind?"

"Yes," said Nemani, and moved back to the subject of smithing.  "Could you also work on something to provide better protection for the chest?  Perhaps plates of steel, enough to cover the chest and back?"

"Need a fair bit of steel for that," said Thirk, "not to mention the expense.  With what I've got, we could do something a little less extravagant - small plates of steel, like fish scales, woven into a thick leather backing.  Maybe not as good as a solid plate, but you've got to work with what you can afford."

"Very well, I want you to work on that, Thirk.  Leave the forging of the weapons and shields to your assistants and Dash - I want you to work with Star on making that better protection."  Nemani struck the staff on the floor.  The fork atop it rung softly and Nemani gently touched Thirk upon the head with the end of the fork.  "Go with Gheronaton's blessing."

As Thirk left, Nemani rang the bell to signal the arrival of his next visit.  Ruk entered the temple, decked in a variety of shell, bead and copper jewellery.  It was a very nearly comical appearance, as the poor farmer nearly buckled under the weight.

"Where on Aether do you even get all of those?" Nemani asked.

"Gifts from the places I go, of course," chuckled Ruk, taking a swig from a skin at his belt.  Nemani smelled the distinctive odour of beer.

"I can't help but notice what look like pottery beads on a string," Nemani pointed out.  "Does that mean a positive return from Curio?"  Ruk shook his head.

"A gift to keep things pleasant, but still no positive yea or nay.  Same from the elven villages.  Our immediate human neighbours have been much more responsive, though.  We have at the very least loose trading arrangements with them."

"It'll have to do," muttered Nemani.

"Have do to for what?" Ruk asked.

"I called you in to give you another opportunity to escape your wife," said Nemani.  "I'd like you to visit the human villages we are more closely associated with, invite their elders and chiefs to a banquet to be held at the turn of the next harvest season - two seasons from now.  Imply that they will be showered with favours, and that important things shall be discussed."

"Imply, holiness?"  Ruk raised an eyebrow.

"Don't make any promises or oaths.  Just make sure they get here for the banquet.  That's all, Ruk." 

Ruk shrugged and made his way out of the temple.  A short while later a heavyset human carrying a spear entered the temple.  He saluted by pressing the spear's pole against his chest.

"Hail, your holiness," said the man.

"Greetings, Tasset.  I called you here because you are one of my most skilled followers in the ways of battle, and because you have displayed something of a knack for strategy.  I understand you slew three orcs in the attack those few weeks ago?"

"Yes, holiness."

"And it was you who organised the ambush on the second raiding party sent to assault us?"

"It was, holiness."

"And how loyal are you to Gheronaton?" asked Nemani carefully.

"I would kill a thousand orcs for him, holiness," said Tasset with pride.  Nemani leant forward, eyes narrowing with intent.

"And how loyal are you to me?"

Tasset's brows twitched fractionally in confusion.  He straightened his face and, after something of a pause, answered.

"I would die for you, holiness."  Nemani studied Tasset's eyes and nodded, straightening up.

"Please walk over to the altar, Tasset."  Tasset obligingly walked over to the altar.  Upon it was a woven cloth stole, bearing the image of a fork.  Upon the stole was a dagger.

"Pick up the knife," ordered Nemani.  Tasset picked it up and set his spear down against the altar.

"Now plunge it into your heart."  Tasset froze, knife in hand.

"I beg your pardon, holiness," said Tasset, "but why?"

"Does there need to be a reason?" asked Nemani.

"I- I... surely I can serve you better alive, holiness?" said Tasset, stuttering a little.  Nemani sighed.

"Gheronaton requires a sacrifice.  The greatest of our warriors, or disaster will fall upon us."

"I see."  Tasset looked at the blade forlornly, then gripped the hilt with both hands and turned the knife inward.  He shut his eyes tightly.  "For you, holiness!"

The knife clicked softly as it touched Tasset's tunic, and its blade retracted into the hilt.  Aside from a sharp bruise on his chest, Tasset found himself surprisingly alive.  He let the blade fall to the floor, where the blade clicked back into position.

"But how?" Tasset asked.

"You were judged worthy," said Nemani, silently thanking Urist for crafting the trick dagger.  "There is no sacrifice, that was a test of your loyalty.  Had it wavered in the slightest, the blade would have cut out your heart.  It is because of this loyalty that you are to be my second."

"A priest, holiness?"

"No, my lay second.  You are to command my soldiers, and soldiers we will have.  First, though, you must train them.  Teach them everything you know of war, of combat, of fighting as a group.  You are to select thirty men from the village and from the pilgrims that visit the temple.  Choose them for their vigour, choose them for their loyalty.  Make soldiers of them.  Teach them to be loyal to me, to the temple, to Gheronaton.  You will have less than two seasons to do this."

"We go to war, holiness?"  Tasset picked his spear back up and stood to attention once again.

"Not yet, and hopefully not for many seasons, but we must prepare.  And part of that preparation will require soldiers, I am afraid."  Nemani broke into a deep frown.  "The Firstborn who visited those weeks ago told me that the universe is at war, a war greater than any other, but that it has not yet reached this world.  The goblin, Knife, told me of a terrible deity, a creature it dared not name for fear of its Eye.  It may well be that a time will come in the future when Gheronaton will call us to fight."

"And we will fight," said Tasset confidently.

"Of that I am sure," said Nemani with a hint of bitterness.  "We may well have to fight against a God."  Let us pray, thought Nemani, that I never have to tell you that it will be Gheronaton.

After Tasset had saluted again and left to pick out his troops, Nemani found himself hoping dearly that there was some sanctity in the mortal world, that the minds of men and elves remained their own.  For if the Gods could pluck thoughts from his own head, what hope did any mortal have against Their schemes?

There was a rustling from behind the altar.

"You can come out now, Knife," said Nemani.  The goblin scampered out of his hiding place and stood up, or rather half-stood in a kind of permanent grovel.  "Did you hear all of that, Knife?"

"Yes, master," said the goblin.

"Do you understand what it means for the future of this village, of these people?  What it means for your future?"

"War will come, master," said the goblin, the fear clear in his voice.

"Yes, and there will be nowhere you can run but here.  So what must we do, Knife?"

"We must build, master!  We must make defences!"

"Yes, we must.  So that is your job.  You are to take men to build walls and defences for this place, to dig pits and traps if need be.  You are to prepare us against attack."

"Yes master, yes!" squealed the goblin, who made to leave.  Nemani caught him by the shoulder and spun him around.

"And remember what awaits you if you betray me."

The goblin shrunk back and scampered out of the hall, leaving Nemani alone with his thoughts.  And, of course, the invisible Avengers.

Orders are given.
Thirk, under the influence of the Fork of Inspiration, works with the Ironborn Star to develop Armoursmithy.
The Ironborn Dash, with the aid of Thirk's assistants, prepares arms and armour for thirty soldiers.
Tasset recruits and trains thirty soldiers to be effective and loyal combatants - loyal to Nemani.
Ruk sets about convincing the leadership of the neighbouring human tribes to join together at a banquet in Nemani's village.
Knife is assigned to develop the village's defences.
[All actions are mortal.]
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 02:33:50 pm by Iituem »
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

bulborbish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: July 01, 2010, 12:27:35 am »

Buathal had found an Isolated patch of the world, and again he was at rest. In his mind, he pondered the question that had bothered him since his consiousness. What was the capabilities of mortals on their own? Could they manage to even form sapience, or would that be beyond them? Could they grow without a god to guide them? All of these questions were curious, and he sought answers.

Before he initiated his planned experiment, he heard the words of Frandor. Clearly, his experiment had to wait.

What you ask for intrigues me, Frandor. I find that this Astra'ath you speak of is a threat to the natural order of thinks. Yet, I command little power of my own at the moment. If I was to aid you in the war, my death is but assured. Furthermore, any damage we deal to it can be quickly recovered using divine acts. Compounding these facts, I have concluded that a Direct assault will guarentee death.

Still, I will help when I can. With all of the fools that are running around in this universe, It's good to see a god that is somewhat reasonable. If you have any requests of me, I shall do my best to complete them.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: July 01, 2010, 07:56:16 am »

Response to Buathal
individual weaknesses:remedied. Bond strenghens, joins.

You make a valid point: that you are weak, and Astra'ath is strong, and a direct assault shall result in only your destruction. However, I think that yo have misunderstood what we mean by 'bond'.
When we bond with others, we grow closer. The relationship we have with other beings is an investment, which we can reap the benefits of. When we bond with others, we can grow close enough to consider themselves, in effect, an extension of ourself. Although individually we are weak, as our bond strenghens, we grow closer. Our individual flaws will be remedied by the others in the bond, and we can grow mightier. If an individual member of the bond is threatened, then it would be in the best interests of the rest to act. We would not want you to do anything that would put yourself in danger, for that would be putting a part of ourselves in danger. To allow harm to come to those in the bond would be to allow harm to come to the self.
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 56