Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 56

Author Topic: Godhood I Play Thread  (Read 75840 times)

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
  • Innocence proves nothing.
    • View Profile
Re: Godhood
« Reply #765 on: June 26, 2010, 12:14:23 pm »

The winged figure walked into the room followed by the other four. The big persons immediately flanked the winged one again, stoic, without any expression or movement, while the other two walked around, inspecting the room, occasionally hissing and sniffing.

"Greetings, High Priest. I`m sure you know who and what we are?" The firstborn sat down on a nearby chair, though it looked a bit awkward thanks to his wings. "If so, i don`t have to waste time explaining what we are."

"What is more important is what that here is." He said, gesturing at the walls of the temple. "We have watched you and your enterprise for quite some time.. Still, we aren`t exactly sure what`s going on here. My Lord wishes to know everything about your business here. So if you don`t mind, could you explain what you are doing here?" He seemed to be mildly amused, maybe because of Nemanis unease.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 12:22:07 pm by Lordinquisitor »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #766 on: June 26, 2010, 12:27:03 pm »

Progress... so much progress, and so quickly.

Astra'ath was pleased.

It looked upon the Elves, already construction large sailing vessels from wood hewn from the plants which grow on the islands; so ready to set sail and explore.

It looked upon the Humans, building their villages upon the atolls and sending out messengers to establish trade contracts and commerce.

It looked upon the Dwarves, who have just completed constructing their own first submersible, patterned after the divine constructions; a thing of hammered steel and treated iron that can withstand the caustic salt sea.

Astra'ath was pleased with the progress shown, but it must accelerate. Its creations would know sorcery.

The alien mind bent its will to the task, and the void boiled around the Eye. Links were forged with the elemental moons, allowing their power to flow freely to the Eye when called by a mortal hand. To the races of the world It gives the power of magic, the knowledge of the signs and sigils required to invoke elemental power.

Though all Races can use this power, the Elves show great ability with wind and water magic while the Dwarves lean more to earth and fire. Humans use the elements equally, while Orcs use it not at all.

But something unexpected happens...

A lone human, researching this newly discovered power over the weeks and months to follow, develops a different sort of magic. Dark sorcery which draws power from the Eye itself. The power is miniscule on the grand scheme of things, and noticed hardly at all by the Eye or the being within, but it is altogether different from the elemental abilities being embraced around the world.

It is the power of Astra'ath... the power of evil.

Astra'ath creates mortal sorcery and gives knowledge of its use to the races of the Eye.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: June 26, 2010, 01:00:39 pm »

After leaving the Homeship, the Morai had drifted back apart, becoming the Fourteen Tribes again. While tribe cultures and traditions had often been transferred between different tribes in their time together, it was not enough to keep them united. New traditions arose in the aftermath of the Homeship's 'destruction.'
The tribe of Shanrai lost over half of their number to the mad AI's security bots and other attacks, and had to adopt a fiercely militaristic and survival-oriented culture. Their inventors were forced to concentrate on creating more effective weapons, more powerful defenses, and warrior became their chief profession.
Talwain was the first tribe to actively worship Coradin, believing they had been saved from total destruction only by their creator's interference. They began constructing massive temples inside the dead starcraft of the Armada, and sent out missionaries to every other tribe and beyond. They were soon joined by the fully-converted tribe of Araidun.
Eneiri had invented the first advanced bodysuits, and did not stop there. They become obsessed with technology, and spawned a higher percentage of Tech-Heads than any other tribe.
The tribe of Yarail found a fully-working laboratory meant for genetic engineering on a wrecked ship, and immediately got to work. Their first experiments were catasthropic failures - brainless, shambling monsters and bloodcrazed maniacs - but slowly but surely, these failures began turning into successes. Lightning-fast warrior beasts, superhuman warriors and near-immortality became commonplace.

Other, smaller changes had appeared amongst the tribes, and it seemed they were growing even more further away from eachother every passing moment.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: June 26, 2010, 01:25:31 pm »

Nemani signalled the guards to leave the hall and took a moment before replying to marshal his thoughts.  What was the first rule of war again?

Ah, yes.  The first rule of war is to deceive.

"We are here to carry out the work of Gheronaton, of course," Nemani said as smoothly as he could manage.  "And the purpose of Gheronaton is... war?  But what is war?  Conflict, competition, a means by which the strong can emerge.  All things must strive.  Therefore the work of Gheronaton is strength.  Here we build strength.  Yet the peoples of the worlds have different skills, different talents.  In some places we are weak, and weakness must be eliminated, or else guarded against.  We have sought to guard our weaknesses - the limitations of our materials, our skills - and employ our strengths - the food we grow, the animals we herd, our ingenuity and resolve.  Trade is war, honoured Firstborn.  It is the means by which the strong can flourish and guard against their weakness, but its means are subtle.  The foe who does not realise you are his is best taken.

"Nor have we forsaken the traditional forms of combat, honoured Firstborn.  I train my closest here as I was trained, to fight for what is ours and in Gheronaton's name.  Through trade we seek to garner the skills of the dwarves in bringing forth metals from the crystal, in working them, through our own skill we will forge them into weaponry and armour, and through Gheronaton's guidance we will use them to defend our own - and to unite our people.

"We seek strength above all things.  We must strive, always.  We seek the stability of higher ground, of better defences such as the orcs control.  Of the secrets of their construction.  We seek unity, for division is weakness.  Through means I have set in place, we hope to achieve this - to unify our people and grow stronger.

"And throughout it all, we will honour Gheronaton - through prayer and trade, and combat as necessary."
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: June 26, 2010, 01:47:52 pm »

The Firstborn listened Patiently, nodding from time to time. After Nemani finished he chuckled softly. "Don`t try to deceive me. You aren`t believing in Gheronaton anymore. My Lord can hear your doubt in every prayer you lead."

"But don`t worry. We aren`t here to kill you, and we won`t drag you to the place where cowards suffer for all eternity. Unless you do something stupid. We were simply sent to investigate what you are doing here, for Gheronaton is a curious god. And while your faith might have waned we know that you still are a warrior for you have fought bravely when the orcs attacked the village. And even though you don`t believe in Gheronaton anymore you spread his name. Lord War is grateful for that.

Then there was a hiss, and one of the human sized figures was standing next to Nemani, his face now unhooded. It was a demonic face, twisted and cruel. It was an avenger. He was staring at Nemani, licking his lips with his tongue.

"Oh, stop it. You aren`t here for that." Complained the Firstborn. "He`s absolved of all his sins. " Resigned the avenger turned away from Nemani and started to walk around the room once more.

"So let`s talk about the trading part again. We have heard that you are giving out things you call "loans" and both parties swear oaths to Gheronaton. That`s no problem per se, but if one side should not stick true to the oath it would dishonour my Lord. And that`s the problem. Can you guarantee that both sides stick true to their promise?" He especially emphasized the word both.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: June 26, 2010, 02:40:41 pm »

"Self-interest," replied Nemani with the semblance of confidence, though in truth the Avenger terrified him.  "Preventing those who come to the temple for loans from defaulting is achieved by vigilance on the temple's part - we punish those who break their oath, either by seizing what is owed or more direct enforcement.  Preventing the temple itself is easier, for it is in our interest to maintain a reputation for honour.  If we do not honour our contracts, and it is known that we do not, many will break their contracts in turn, or else not come to us for loans.  The temple would suffer.  This cannot be allowed to happen.  As the temple expands - and I fully intend for it to expand - I shall endeavour to be as vigilant in preventing corruption within it as preventing defaults beyond.  More so, in fact.  Similarly, we will take a dim view of confidence tricksters selling false loans in Gheronaton's name."
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: June 26, 2010, 03:42:51 pm »

The firstborn looked content. "Pleasant. Self-Interest is the best motivation. Gheronaton doesn`t mind your lack of faith, though you have no reason to do so, but he would be most displeased if you would dishonour his name. But since being honourable seems to be in your best interest you certainly don`t mind that we help you to keep your debtors.. Loyal." He grinned a wicked smile.

"Those two will reside here at the temple. They are called judges of war, a special breed of the avengers. You have heard of avengers, i`m sure. They will punish everyone who breaks a vow sworn to Gheronaton. They have some experience with punishment, i`m told." And the avengers hissed in unison.

"They will also heal wounded warriors, another service your temple might offer. Further you don`t need to feed or house them, nor do you even need to look at them. Thus, as long as you stay true to your word, they will only help you." He pointed at the avengers. "You heard your orders, begone." And the avengers vanished.

"We know about the book and the other artifact that appeared under strange circumstances. We also know that you sent envoys to the dwarves, asking for metal. Thanks to our invisible friends, of course."

"You seem to express a certain interest in smithing. Thus gheronaton, in his endless generosity, declared that i shall gift your temple with those two strong men here. I`m sure you heard of the Ironborn? They are the personal workers of lord War and are likely the most skilled smiths in the universe, but can also work on something else, if you wish. They can produce anything, as long as you show them how, and can work with every subtance, be it bronze, steel or wood. We have brought you some of their crafts to show you how skilled they are."

The ironborn stepped forward and laid the bundles they were carrying on the floor and unwrapped them. Inside where different weapons, spears and swords and axes, made from fine steel and ornamented with gold and gems.

"Recently we started to work with steel. In the past we preferred iron, since it takes less time to produce, but of late we have enough Ironborn to spare and thus we decided to replace our old weapons with new ones made of steel. This two here already know how to produce it, but you might want to show them your book, anyway. They will do everything you want, though they have no skill for improvisation.. Thus make sure that your orders are clear. They can also teach new smiths, if you desire it, but they make poor teachers for they have little empathy. Instead they might produce new ironborn, though these two should be sufficient if you don`t want to arm an army."

He made a little pause, to make sure Nemani understood everything and then went on. "You see? Whatever you might think of Gheronaton he does care for his subject. Maybe it`s time to renew your faith?" The Firstborn smiled amiable.

"Or not. Your decision. But consider every wounded warrior in the village healed and healthy again. The Avengers did it- And if you ask them they will even heal your wounds. You may be as nimble and strong as you once were. I`m sure you can use the tale of this wonder to increase your influence, oh most skilled of healers."

Laughing the firsborn stood up. "I fear it`s time to beg my leave. I have other matters to attend do, but first i will honour my god." He said, walked up to the altar and prayed a worthless prayer. "I heard it`s customary to offer the temple something. I should not break such customs, should i?" And he laid a necklace of silver on the altar, ornamented with many small swords made of rubies. Then he clapped Nemani on the shoulder and walked to the door. "Ah, also the god who sent the book was dragnar, i`m sure. He´s the god of knowledge and thus it seems likely that the book was sent by him. Alex is truly dead, a sad matter. You might not know it but the universe is in turmoil.. One day the big war might even reach this beautiful world, and only brave warriors like you will be able to save it. Be ready for it, and brave. Farewell."

And then he left.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 05:52:35 pm by Lordinquisitor »

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: June 26, 2010, 04:11:55 pm »

the twisted forms of the Korpr crowded the entrance hall of the Library. Equipment weaponry and personnel entered it and instantly moved to get to the doors leading to the fortresses. As if the librarians hadn't to do enough with keeping the library in shape, cleaning up after the mad and actualizing the records and books, now arme groups of Korpr moved towards the fortress entrances. In the midst of the flood of half-rotten,somehow still alive corpses Quôth discussed with an librarian.

Tell Dragnar that my people have arrived to clean up the mess in his fortresses.

Several Korpr in heavy iridium-vanadium-alloy armors came into his direction, carrying several communication devices. Several antennas broke from the backs of their armors seemingly grown to the layer of undefinable organic mass coating the armors here and there.

Oh and could you please take these here to the room from which you monitor the fortresses? They will establish communication and organize the groups.

Not further concerning himself with the librarian, Quôth turned around and tried to organize the vast bulk of huddled together equipment, personnel and weaponry, which was nearly piling up in the entrance hall.

A stream of blood steadily flowed down his side as the mad elf stumbled through the corridors of the fortress.

Where was kitty? And why  it vanished in a cloud of red drops?

as the elf stumbled further through the deserted,dark corridors he suddenly noticed a small group of strange people in the distance. It seemed that the heavy armors they were clad in, were covered by clumps of dying flesh. He further approached them, maybe they would know where Kitty went and if not he could always make a new kitty out of them.

Have you seen my Kitty?

suddenly one them lifted an odd construction he carried with him and pointed  it at him...

The heavy caliber 0.6 round hit the elf square in the chest. Upon piercing his skin and flesh, the bullet exploded into shrapnels propelling themselves into the targets face, thighs and feet effectively crippling them. The core of the bullet released the highly aggressive fluoric-antimon-acid which dissolved the vital organs in mere mili-seconds. He was dead before he hit the ground.

Ulf spoke into the com of his helmet.
This is group Alpha 150. Contact! Male Elf, completely insane,
 terminated Target.

crackling noises could be heard from the other side of the com.

Understood Alpha 150. Resume mission, assimilate propable contacts if deemed auspicious. We will send a Gatherer to your position.

After radioing accordance the ten headed group moved on. Howevver as they passed the corpse of the Elf one Korpr stepped out of line and moved towards the dead elf. The "Dissolver"-gun released a quick jet of brownish liquid, rapidly converting the organic mass of the body into "Gjor" the brownish goo the Korpr had also gathered from the dead Starspawn.

The daemons were covered in the mutagens before they even reached the Korpr. Their bodies turned into undefinable clots of flesh, ever changing, never settling into one form. Horrible cries of agony echoed through the otherwise silent hallways of the fortress, as the painful process took it's toll. The sheer amount of pain took the lives of 5 of the daemons. However two seemed still to twitch. One of the Korpr went to kneel beside one of the daemons.

Somehow still a mouth was sticking out of the undefinable clot forming silently words.

Do you fear death, daemon?

mm..make it...stop! it...hurts...

I asked you if you fear death.

no..no...nothing is. as. horrible. as this p-p-paiin.

I can end your pain, daemon. I can release your soul from this pained and wretched body. I am the Reliever

kkill...me. al. already. you sadistic...

The Bullet entered through that what was once the forehead of the daemon, breaking through the frontal bone and releasing the acid in it's core, nearly instantly releasing the daemon of pain and eradicating every spark of life inside him.

Now the Korpr walked over to the other twitching mass.In the same procedure he knelt down beside him.

Do you fear death, mortal?

The other daemon having witnessed the fate of his companion twitched stronger.

Ppplease. don't.

So you fear death?

yyyes...please help..me..

Wordlessly the Korpr raised to his feet and walked over to his group which hadn't moved since he had talke to the daemons.

wait. please. oh. gods.

Another Korpr now approached him. Instead of carrying one of the "Reliever"-guns he had an altogether different tool. It was a large injection apparatus replacing his whole left arm.

what? what are you. doing.

the breathing of the daemon became harder, the pain even stronger.He felt the numbness of death slowly encompassing him. Although it seemed like the hoped relieve he still struggled.

Still fighting mortal? Good. Trust me young One. I was once like you. But in the embrace of the great Crow, i became what i feared the most. Death. And with me you will never feel the natural serenity of leaving this world. With the power invested in me by the God of Decay i will bless you. I will free you of the chains of time. I will make you immune to disease. I will relieve you of pain. forever. I am filled with the generosity of Quôth. I am the carrier of  the blessed gift. But i am also the one who shares the gift.

The Korpr stopped for a second bringing his mouth close to the ear of the daemon. With his bitter-sweet voice, dripping and disgusting like pus, smelling of a rotted corpse he whispered into the ear of the daemon.

So i ask you again mortal: do you fear...Death?

The last word he wisphered nearly unhearable.

Yes.

this small faint answer was everything.

But it was enough.

With this last word, the daemon exchanged eternal servitude for immortality,immunity to disease and the inability of feeling pain.

The Korpr pressed a button on the strange device.

Prepare for your final anguish...

The 20 cm long needle punctured the red skin and sunk deep into the body of the daemon. As it released it's content horrible cries, cries not meant to be released from a mortal throat could be heard throughout the whole fortress...

The Korpr begin to clean the Fortresses connecting the libraries.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: June 26, 2010, 05:50:50 pm »

Attack, he had expected.  Defeat, certainly.  Perhaps simply imprisonment.  But generosity?  That made Nemani nervous.  He sat down on one of the wooden chairs in the temple and studied the expressionless faces of the Ironborn.

"As long as you stay true to your word, they will only help you."  Nemani considered the words in silence.  Invisible guardians... and watchers.  Gheronaton intends to protect His interests, of course.  A pair of deathless warriors to keep me in line.  And yet the aid they could offer...

Why now, though?  Well, because we are successful.  Didn't they always say Gheronaton favoured the strong?  Was I wrong?  Is this my efforts finally being rewarded, if not my faith?  But then Gheronaton rewards success, not faith.  Hm.

His eyes traced over the forms of the Ironborn, statue-still while awaiting orders.

"Do you have names?" he asked.  There was a soft whirring behind the metallic masks and a pair of voices emerged, thin and reedy as if being scratched out of metal.

"Designation twelve-dash-seven-six-four-one-two," said one.

"Designation forty-three-star-eight-nine-three-one-four," said the other.  Nemani stared blankly at them for a moment.  They stared blankly back.

"Your names are now Dash and Star," he said.  "Understood?"

"Understood," replied the Ironborn in unison.

"And whom do you serve?" he asked.

"Gheronaton," replied Dash and Star.

"Well, that clears that up," half-chuckled Nemani.  And should Gheronaton decide He needs to pull His weight, I can't trust you.  And of course, I may well need to equip an army some day.  The problem is that Ironborn are too reliable.  What I need are followers... less reliable.

"I'd like you to begin training men in the village in the craft of smelting metals and making steel.  I will provide you with the book given to us on the subject to aid you.  Thirk will tell you who to teach.  You'll find him trying to set up the forge with the dwarf."

"Understood," said the Ironborn.  He picked the book from the altar and passed it to Dash.  It and Star both turned and trumped out of the building in search of Thirk.

Nemani pulled the Fork from beneath his shirt and struck it lightly against the altar, resting its base so the sound spread.

Aided by the Fork of Influence, the Book of Steel and the Ironborn, Nemani's village attempts to learn the secrets of Smelting and Steelmaking.  [mortal]
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 03:54:25 am by Iituem »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #774 on: June 26, 2010, 06:54:20 pm »

Time works differently so close to the Eye.

Months have passed for its inhabitants, and they have shown significant progress.

Elven weather magi now lead massive sailing ships across the world. They control a growing trade empire by projection of naval might, and regulate trade between the human settlements.

Humans trade their natural talent and ability with elemental magic, and make skillful objects of art. They control a modest fleet of sailing vessels and steamships, and already seven new atolls were under construction.

Dwarves mine the ocean floor using deep submersibles and trade their bounty for all manner of goods and services. They teach their steam-based technology to others for a steep price, and their ironclad steamships are a terror in combat, though they are extremely expensive to manufacture.

A second undersea dome is being constructed near the first, the dwarves having mastered the use of the construction machines left there.

But something was brewing in an unknown corner of the world-spanning ocean.

A green tide was forming beneath the sea.

And they hungered.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: June 27, 2010, 02:35:25 am »

There was it again - a sound no mortal instrument could make. Niande approached the temple carefully. There was no-one looking her way right now, but you could never be to careful.
She made her way up to the entrance and... two humanoids almost crashed into her, practically running out of the temple. It did not take her long to recognize the two beings. They were some of the war-god's creations. If this was the war-god's temple, it made sense for them to be there, but she doubted Gheronaton would grant his Ironborn to every single temple in the land.
They stared at eachother in silence for a while. After many long minutes, the war-god's servants turned away from her and raced down into the village.
Good. She wanted to avoid confrontation with anyone. Especially because it would've required Coradin to come to fight for her.

Niande took a few more steps towards the temple, focusing on the divine energies filling the temple. There was an... artifact of somekind.
She felt recognition and... surpise in the back of her head. Coradin. This was not the first time he had seen this artifact.

'Stay here for now and wait for instructions, Muse.' Her creator's voice boomed inside her head. Niande nodded. She stood at the entrance, but could easily shift through the wall if needed.

---

Coradin made his way through the Void into the Library, seeking for Dragnar.

'Dragnar, brother, are you here? I need to speak with you!'
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: June 27, 2010, 03:53:56 am »

The guards dragged the lanky, filth-strewn creature into the temple.  It was the first time Nemani had seen an orc up close without trying to kill it - yet, at least - but the apparent weakness of the beast surprised him.  All the orcs he had fought were massive brutes of men, not these scrawny things.

"Why have you brought this into the temple?" Nemani asked of the guards.

"We thought it might make a good sacrifice to Gheronaton," one of the guards chuckled.  "Caught it sneaking around outside town, probably scouting the area so his brothers could wipe us out."

"Please masters!" the scrawny orc wheedled.  "I only wish to-"

"Silence in the temple!" snapped the other guard, smacking the orc across the back of the head.  The orc tried to crouch into a submissive pose, but was impeded by the two guards holding his shoulders.

"You talk?" asked Nemani of the orc.  The orc did not immediately respond, so he looked to the guards.  "Any weapons?"

"No, holiness, but he still has claws and teeth.  For now, that is."

"Then release him, but stand close and be prepared to strike.  I want him willing to talk."  He lifted up his palm as one of the guards raised the butt of his spear.  "Not like that."  The guard lowered it and Nemani looked down at the orc.

"Can you stand?" he asked.  The orc whimpered.

"Yes, master," it said.

"Then stand."  The orc did so, unsteadily and looking as if he might faint at any moment.  It already bore several thick bruises from the treatment of its captors, but Nemani could not help notice the dozens of old scars across its body.

"What is your name?" Nemani asked.

"Knife," the orc replied.

"And why are you so small?  I've never seen an orc so small before."

"Forgive me, master, I am not an orc.  I am a goblin.  We serve the orcs in the building of the great fortresses."

"And in return?"

"They beat us, master."  There was less resentment in Knife's voice than Nemani would have expected.  The goblin seemed to believe it was simply the way of things.

"So why have you come here?  Are there more of you coming?"

"No master!" yelped Knife, cringing and huddling into himself on his feet.  "I simply came to serve."

"You already serve the orcs.  Why change masters now?"

"I wish to serve..." and here the goblin lowered his voice almost conspiratorially, "Gheronaton."

"Speak up, Knife.  You can say His name freely here.  Do your people not already follow Gheronaton, skilled as they are in the ways of war?"

"No, master!  We follow no god, save the holy mission of our Creator - to spread, to be victorious, to prove our strength.  At least, most do.  Some would follow... the Other."

"Other?" asked Nemani, raising an eyebrow.  Knife cringed and sunk back again.

"I dare not speak Its name!" the goblin squealed.  "Its Eye is all-seeing, it knows the minds of man and orc!  You must never invoke It, or It will rend your body from your soul!"  Involuntarily, Nemani took a step away from the goblin.  What god could inspire this kind of fear, other than Gheronaton?

"You say you wish to serve, but you are weak and thin.  How can you fight alongside our soldiers, against your brethren?  Either of my men could snap you like a twig."

"There are other ways to serve, master!  Other things that I can do.  I told you that my people built the great fortresses.  I led other goblins, taught them how to build, what to do, where the stones should go.  I can build also!  I can teach your people to build as we do!"

"Or this is a trick, and you can betray us," said Nemani sternly.  He looked to the guards.  "Two of you must accompany him at all times.  Rotate shifts with the other guards."

"You are not thinking of taking up this creature's offer, holiness?" exclaimed one of the guards.

"War is about taking risks, and knowing which ones to take.  Knife here is a great risk, but if his word is true-" - Nemani assumed the goblin was a he, but it was hard to tell - "-then we will gain greatly."  He turned to Knife.

"Do you, Knife, swear upon the name of Gheronaton to serve this village in His name, to obey my orders and to teach my people of the secrets of construction, and not to betray us to our enemies, in exchange for freedom and protection within our lands?"

"Yes, master," squaled the goblin with delight.

"Then so be it.  I expect you to begin immediately.  Oh, and I feel I should educate you on a little more about Gheronaton."  Nemani knelt so that his face was right next to the goblin's.  "Gheronaton has servants, the Avengers, that watch over the oaths mortals swear upon His name.  Those who fail to keep them..." Nemani grinned viciously.  Knife let out a tiny whimper.  "And in case you think my words are false, ask around the village about the wounded men from battle."

Nemani reached beneath his shirt and drew out the Fork.  He rapped it lightly on Knife's head, creating its soft, unmistakable ring.  Knife blinked a little, but something in his eyes seemed to clear.

"Now go, teach my people."  Knife nodded hurriedly and scurried out of the building, followed closely by the guards.  A short while later, Urist entered the hall with a flagon of ale.

"Ah, Urist," said Nemani with a smile.  "Thank you for the excellent work on the altar's lock and compartment.  I thought you might be of service again."

"So long as you keep the ale and whores rolling, why not?" laughed the dwarf.  Nemani's smile remained fixed, and he picked up a sliver of bark.  Etched upon it were drawings of the Fork of Inspiration from several angles, with dimensions scrawled in the new Writing along its sides.  He passed it to Urist.

"What's this for?" Urist asked.  "Some sort of double-headed spearhead?  If so, you should really sharpen the ends."

"Not quite.  How are you doing with the new Steelmaking process?"

"Well, since none of my brethren have come back with an offer - slow.  I've had to go out to the nearest ore vein and mine it out all by my lonesome, since your lot can't tell rock from rock.  But the principle works - I've been able to smelt a little bit and use it to teach the others.  Those metal men of yours are pretty helpful in that respect, on account of they can mine too and help with the teaching, but they're daft as two short slabs put together."

"Since you have a little steel, then, do you think you could make this?"  Nemani nodded to the drawing of the Fork.  "I'd say... about six copies?"

"Sure, we've got enough for that."  Urist raised his flagon and left, taking the designs with him.

With the aid of the Fork of Inspiration, Nemani's Tribe will attempt to learn Construction from the orcs.  [mortal]
Nemani orders Urist to construct six mundane replicas of the Fork of Inspiration.   [mortal]

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: June 27, 2010, 04:58:12 am »

"So you felt something.. godly?" Gheronaton concluded.

"Yes, m`lord. I couldn`t say which one it was, though."

"And have you completed the other task i gave you?"

"Yes, m`lord. The necklace is hidden well."

"Good, you are dismissed."

The firstborn hesiated but finally he turned. Gheronaton, though, called him back. "What do you want to ask me? Tell me." That was something that had never happened before, his firstborn usually were content with obeying.

The firstborn looked uncomfortable. "M`Lord, if i may be so frank.." He started. Gheronaton interrupted him, annoyed, "I just gave you leave to be frank. Now tell me."

"M`Lord, i can`t understand why we had to leave the priest alive. He`s a heathen and instead of fighting he trades. I have been your most trusted servant since you created us, but even i don`t understand why you choose to left him alive."

Gheronaton was amused. "I will answer you. Look, there are many good reasons. The most important one is that a new god seems to show interest in Nemani. I don`t want to make myself too many enemies till i won the current war. Further, he lives on Aether and that`s Lunas domain. I doubt that she would take it kindly if i would start to murder random creatures on aether."

The firstborn nodded, apparently he understood. But Gheronaton went on. "Further, why should i kill him? He does more good than harm. He might have lost his faith, but he still converts others. And with him we have a good foothold on aether. If any enemy tries to invade it, we will know it and we will be ready to strike back. On incendium and ferraria our might is concentrated and unbroken and the world of plates i almost fully converted.. Yet on the other worlds our influence is quite limited. His temple coverts more men each day and every additional soul that prays to me gives me strength.. And a possible recruit for the war. Are you satisfied, now?"

Indeed he was. "Yes Lord War, i`m. I`m sorry for being so insolent." The firstborn looked deeply ashamed, but Gheronaton just laughed. "Insolent you call it? Thinking i call it. If i wanted advisors who just nod and agree i would converse with the Ironborn."

When the firstborn was gone, Gheronaton had time to think about the whole matter. Apparently a new god had chosen nemani.. But for which task? And why does that god acts only through him? Most of the old gods preferred to act themselves and didn`t overly rely on mortals.. And acted on a larger scale.

He dismissed the idle thoughts. He had a war to win.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: June 27, 2010, 08:13:08 am »

Coradin cursed in frustration. His brother was nowhere to be seen. Nevertheless, he had left a message to Dragnar's servants, that he needed to speak with him.
Coradin left the Library. The situation of the Aether village would have to be resolved later on. He had other matters to focus on for now.

He was not entirely sure where the war-god presided, but if Gheronaton was willing to meet him, he would hear him.

'Gheronaton, brother! I wish to speak with you!'

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: June 27, 2010, 08:45:53 am »

Gheronaton heard the call of Coradin, and while he couldn`t fully forgive him that he remained neutral at first in the conflict, he valued his advice and decided to hear him.

"Coradin- If you want to speak with me just visit me in my Refugium. You are always welcome."

« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 08:58:57 am by Lordinquisitor »
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 56