Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 56

Author Topic: Godhood I Play Thread  (Read 75870 times)

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Godhood
« Reply #315 on: May 12, 2010, 09:48:55 am »

Several beams of light hit Natus. They weren't too well-focused, but some of them bore enough energy to heat up the organic material on the planet. Several trees caught fire.

On a planet with so much lush plantlife, a small fire meant a huge inferno. Quickly the flames spread from tree to tree, and within minutes an entire forest fire was ravaging the woods, eating through plants, arborites and animals alike. The burning forest contained none less than the tree of knowledge itself, and although most of the forest was cut off from the rest of the world by rivers or human-created plains, the flames started to lick the first leaves of the gargantuan tree..

<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>

Poena felt that much of the burden was taken off her, and she glared at the shade for a moment. It was helping her, and for some reason, she believed it didn't just do it because it was commanded to do so. It might be doing it because it wanted to do so, because it liked her.

Suddenly she felt she had to find a way to thank the being, feeling blood brightening her cheeks. An emotion crept up that was yet unknown to her. She kept her gaze on the floor for a while longer, before turning it up to face the shade again. "Th-Thank you.. I-"
She remembered that she was yet to think up a way to thank it, and the stammering continued.
"I- Well- You.."
"You should have a name!"
The words that left her mouth came out of nowhere, unexpected, spoken without thought. But they were good, fitting.
With slightly renewed courage in a field she did not yet experience before, she continued, her voice attempting to sound harsh. "Do you have one, shade?"
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 09:55:43 am by Caesar »
Spider Overhaul
Adding realistic spiders to Dwarf Fortress. (Discontinued.)

Godhood VIII
The latest installment in the Godhood roleplaying game series.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: May 12, 2010, 09:56:42 am »

The Shade cocked its head. It sensed the emotions running through its mistress, and saw the blush on her face. It felt strange emotions running through its shell of a heart, and decided that this assignment was quite interesting. It hazily remembered someone like her. A Daughter? A friend? A lover? the identity of that person was lost, and the painful route of questioning was abandoned for the present. "A name? From the day I began my service as the Voidwalker's vassal, I have never wanted, or needed one. Do you think I need one, Mistress? Very well... In life, or what I remember of it, I was known as Phaedron. Is this sufficient for you, mistress?" It shifted around a bit uneasily, and sat down on the cold metal of the floor.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 10:02:59 am by Acanthus117 »
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #317 on: May 12, 2010, 09:58:40 am »

Shadows around the library entrance take shape and draw themselves up into a standing form, a robed figure with an empty hood.

It moves with an ethereal grace, floating near threshold and into the library. The robe it wears flutters softly, as though moved by a wind which does not blow. A scribe passing the entrance stops, looking surprised at the visitor. The figure speaks from the empty hood, its voice a dozen soft whispers speaking in unison.

Find your master

Bid him come

We have questions

The scribe winces at the voice, then scurries off to find Dragnar. The dark form remains at the entryway, just outside.

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: May 12, 2010, 10:06:58 am »

"It is indeed, Phaedron."
She didn't feel entirely comfortable, unsure as to what she ought to say or do. Eventually she decided to look away, taking into her arms her baby brother, nurturing him to her chest for a while.
'Am I attractive?'
It was just a thought, passing through her mind for a moment, but it threw her off-guard. To answer her question she looked into the shield Gheronaton had provided for her.

What she saw, didn't please her. Her hair was dirty and long, just a little darker than the white hair of the Goddess she resembled. Her skin was pale, her eyes blue. Even her body wasn't as stunning as that of the other elves. It was graceful, yes, but it held less of the female qualities that even her mother possessed, relatively flat-chested and underdeveloped, meagre and frail.
Eventually, she decided that she was ugly.

To divert her mind, she spoke to the shade again, although keeping her eyes fixed on her mirage. "I am not your Mistress.. You are a free being, not a slave of some God..." She paused, sighing. "Tell me of your.. Life."
Spider Overhaul
Adding realistic spiders to Dwarf Fortress. (Discontinued.)

Godhood VIII
The latest installment in the Godhood roleplaying game series.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: May 12, 2010, 10:11:41 am »

One the librarians rushes up to Dragnar stammering about some strange figure with many voices appearing at the entrance. Dragnar continues to yell at Carnis for a while then walks off to meet him.

"Ah, hello, a much more courteous entrance than my last guest... From my librarian's description I presume you are Astra'ath, or at least a creation of his? What can I do for you?"
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #320 on: May 12, 2010, 10:17:10 am »

The figure nods.

We are... Projection / Creation / Temporary

Greetings child-god, we have questions

The figure raises one arm. The robe is as dark as night, and so deeply black that it reflects no light. The sleeve is open and empty, no hand protruding from it, but the god's otherworldly senses could perceive a telekinetic projection there in the shape of a hand. Above this hand several images flicker in rapid succession, the light from the star Chara lancing out at Astra'ath, being refracted back to Natus. The god Galt gesturing, and the titanic explosion he caused in Astra'ath's shell.

The child-gods assail Us unprovoked

We require knowledge of them

We require alliance
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 10:27:27 am by forsaken1111 »

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: May 12, 2010, 10:30:43 am »

"Yes, fear is a powerful motivator, and can cause otherwise rational beings to lash out without reason. Unfortunately, I am something of a loner, and have met with the other gods only rarely. I do not know much about them that might be of use to you. The only advise I can give you is to make sure you do not make an enemy of the elf-girl Poena. She is the daughter of Xarn, and no one has any idea what she is capable of."

Dragnar holds out a hand and a book flies off a nearby shelf into it.

"Here, this holds a record of all the things the gods have created so far. ((basically, it's that "knowledge" list ed boy has)) It might help, seeing as you have not been in this realm for long. It won't update itself outside the library though. As for an alliance... not now. I would still rather remain neutral in this, and until either you or the other gods Acts against me I do not wish to pick sides."
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #322 on: May 12, 2010, 10:39:42 am »

The figure's 'hand' takes the book, the tiny brush against Dragnar's flesh causes a chill to spread along his arm. The book shimmers and then vanishes, trans-located somewhere else. A few seconds later, the figure nods with understanding.

We have assimilated this knowledge

We reciprocate, per our pact

Above the figure's 'hand' appears a similar book, bound in leather with a steel clasp and lock. Runes along the book's spine read "Libri Antiquitas".

This book was recovered

From a world We consumed

It is the last remnant

Of a civilization

---

We will consider what you have shared

The figure shimmers and fades away, never having entered the library.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 10:43:42 am by forsaken1111 »

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: May 12, 2010, 10:43:14 am »

It had seemed like Natus had been searching through Dragnar's library forever. Had it been hours? Years? He could not tell, Time seemed to flow differently here. Every moment he spent here was a moment away from the defense of his world. He had not done anything to provoke this Astra'ath, but if his siblings were to be believed, he would not wait to harm Natus and his creations.

Just as Natus had thought that his search would be fruitless, the strangest of sensations overtook him. A slight tingle at first then stronger, and then a flood. His mind was overwhelmed with images of the void and a book. So familiar... 'Origins'? Xarn? Image after image bombarded his mind... Natus opened his eyes once more to find himself standing over a section of the library he had never been before, the books that surrounded him covered in thick layers of dust as if forgotten by even time.

He began sifting through books with a new-purpose. He knew exactly where this book was and he must find it and read it. Pushing aside a rather dusty tome, he saw his prize, 'Origins'. By the looks of it, it was very old, but it would suit his purposes.

Taking the book, he set it down. Reading every page and committing it to memory. He was careful to commit every detail to memory as he read.

Natus was certain some of his siblings would crave the rituals and powers described in this book. He could not let it fall into the wrong hands. Taking the old book he opened his chest and placed the book safely inside himself. Anyone who wanted the book would have to attack Natus to get it now. He would keep it safe from those who would intend to upset the balance of this universe.

But what was this? A new minion had entered the library, his power was also familiar. Astra'ath? No, it could not be. Why would Dragnar allow such vile creatures into his domain. Perhaps the library was not as safe as Natus had thought? He must leave this place.

Looking for alternative exits, he quickly looks up to see a large gaping hole in the library. This would suit his escape perfectly. With grace and speed, Natus launches himself upwards through the hole in the grand library, hopeful hat no one spied his escape, or which book was taken.

Natus gave a quick thanks to whoever had made this rather fresh looking wound in the structure and began back to the Refuge.

But a new sensation overtook his senses as he traveled. Natus, his world, was burning. The spirits of his world cried for his intervention. He must go.

“He burns my planet with no provocation!”

He arrived to find a small part of his world in a very sorry way. Trees burned by the hundreds and his creatures fled. While the damage would be repaired in time and balance restored, Natus feared most for the Tree of Knowledge. He could not see his creation destroyed. He would have to intervene.

Flying downwards with great speed, he flew past great sections of forest, snuffing the flames where he went. But still fires persisted. Licking at the edge of the Tree of Knowledge. Natus called a great rain shower to soak the woods and douse the flames. Natus believed that the tree would be saved... but the damage had been done. A flame still burned, inside of him: a fire of hatred.

He could not allow something like this to happen again. The humans had helped quite a bit with their creation of plains which prevented the fire from spreading needlessly. But Natus would need help for next time. In case he were gone.

Channeling his rage, he took the essence and forged it together with the very waters of Natus. A new creation, Water Spirits. New guardians to protect his fragile world from flames. Controlling water they would be able to direct showers and douse flames themselves.

As his new minions set about containing the last of the fires on his world, Natus looked upwards towards the skies. He would be ready for the next attack. He tempered his fear, replacing it slowly with rage.

"I shall give no quarter. And no mercy."

ACT 1: Natus places the book, 'Origins' inside himself to protect it from falling into the hands of other gods.

ACT 2: Natus creates the Water Spirits. They are charged to assist the Arborites as guardians of this planet. They will use their powers to protect Natus against future fires.

Ooc: Hopefully nothing too unreasonable here. Could I get the book research resulted PM'ed to me? I feel like it's secret knowledge until I share it with people :)

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: May 12, 2010, 10:47:03 am »

"Interesting. Let us see what secrets this book contains..."

Dragnar sits down near the map and opens the book, beginning to read the ancient writings contained within.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #325 on: May 12, 2010, 11:27:14 am »

Astra'ath had completed assimilating the knowledge Dragnar gave It and decided to act.

Its titanic bulk sped suddenly out of the darkness between the stars, angling directly towards the black sun. As its form passes it disturbs tides on every planet and casts a shadow across the mortal lands. It swings very close to the dark star, using its gravity to slingshot around onto a new heading. The squirming moon-sized lump of tentacled godliness is launched directly at the green star which was once a god.

The body writhed, flattening out perpendicular to the axis of travel as tentacles spread in every direction. A slight course alteration and it is hurtling at the earth-like world inhabited by Elan's foolish creations. Within mere moments it impacted the surface, a mass of flesh as large as the orbiting moon slamming into the ocean, casting a tidal wave miles high across most of the coastal areas. Thousands die from the flooding and tidal waves.

As the froth and flooding dies down, Astra'ath busies itself at the bottom of the ocean. It consumes every form of life beneath the waves, sucking the ocean water in through vast feeding tentacles and filtering it for anything edible... and since it eats everything only pure water was ejected out the other side. Oceangoing vessels that were not smashed by the tidal waves are snatched up by tentacles from the deep and consumed whole. Hundreds of thousands of beings die now, all consumed within Astra'ath's great bulk. No subtlety is used, no finesse, just brute power and snapping jaws.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 11:59:15 am by forsaken1111 »

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
  • A Jump On The Daily Comic Bandwagon.
    • View Profile
    • ExKirby's Generic Randomness
« Reply #326 on: May 12, 2010, 12:06:52 pm »

Back to killing Astrath..
Derm would be a Half-Minute Hero boss. YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO FUCK HIM UP OR HE DOES IT TO THE ENTIRE WORLD!

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: May 12, 2010, 12:49:10 pm »

Observe, respond.
Astra'ath, eye of Chara. Grevious damage, retargetting. Incorporate into plans.
Natus, burning. Unimportant.
Astra'ath, dragnar. Noteworthy, observe.
Astra'ath, Elan's world. Hidden, feeding. Observe.

The eye of Chara burned its way through the universe. It burned its way through the massive bulk of Astra'ath, but it was redirected. Although it caused significant harm, Astra'ath managed to refract the shaft of light, sending its fury elsewhere. Elsewhere turned out to be the planet of Nauts, lush and full of life. There it caused great fire and destruction, a scar of fire and ash upon the surface of Natus. Chara saw this and was horrified, cutting off the shaft of light. Astra'ath took this opportunity and descended upon Elan's world, consuming what it could and hiding under the surface, shielded from the eye of Chara.

Chara stop? Stop Astra'ath harm: Illogical.
Illogical? It was perfectly logical! Astra'ath had twisted my eye to its own purposes, destroying that which was not itself! It was not logical to continue with the attack!
Attack still cause harm. Continuation logical.
It's bloody well not logical! The harm to Natus and its inhabitants was too great to continue!
Natus, unimportant. Irrelevant to plans. Astra'ath, dangerous. Imporant. Importance outweighs unimportance.
I can't accept that. What is is that makes Natus and all its inhabitants unimporant?
Astra'ath: possible interference in plans. Natus: lesser danger of interference.
And now it's back to the plans. These mysterious plans, that you keep hidden from all, the mysterious plans that will fulfill the even more mysterious goals, the mysterious plans that you won't reveal to anyone, not even me! If you consider me to be a companion, then tell me more than just fragments and snippets. You are, by your own admitting, weak and flawed. Your plans, by extension are in danger of being weak and flawed. You have created me to solve these problems, yet you do not let me solve them fully. Tell me the plans, and I can aid you, I can improve the plans, I can render us better and stronger than before. Remember our bond, the strongest of bonds. Together we shall grow, together we shall fight, together we shall fall. This is your chance to show it. Tell me these plans, and together we shall grow to something greater than we are!
I cannot. The master plan cannot be revealed.
Why? Why can you not do this?
That would be against the master plan.

Spoiler: knowledge (click to show/hide)

Fortis

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: May 12, 2010, 12:58:40 pm »

From Refuge, Luna looked out over Aether. Despite being shrouded in darkness, the Nightgaunts were not hidden to her, the goddess of night. “Poena, I must go. Evil has come to my world, and I must do what I can to stop it. I will return before long.” Luna said, fading into the night. Moments later, she again stepped upon Aether’s shimmering sands.

She felt the presence of the nightgaunts, fed and nourished by the evil thoughts of mortals. She could not starve them, for while mortals had free will, some would turn to evil. But she could drive them from her world. Already, the aether dragons were taking offense at their presence. And she could hinder their efforts to gather fear for their dark master.

She went again to Maia, and walked among the Elysians on the surface of the crystal star. “Gentle spirits!” Luna called out, gathering a crowd of the ethereal beings of starlight. “A grave need has come upon us. The corrupted one has sent slaves of darkness to corrupt the dreams of men. Even now, they dwell in the darkest reaches of Aether. If you will, I wish to send you out, to counter their corruption, and bring peace to the dreams of mortals. Will you aid me?”

A great multitude of the Elysians answered her call, and gathered around her. She blessed them, and sent them to the different worlds. There, they hid in the light of the sun or moon, or in the flickering flames of fire. Wherever they went, if they should find the nightgaunts at work, the Elysians would enter the dreams themselves, and bring peace to the mortal’s mind and quell the terror.

With one task done, she turned to the next. A means for the Elysians to move from world to world to do their task. To this end, she took some of the crystal of the mountains, and shaped it into smooth, glittering arches. They were tall and wide enough for a dragon to pass through. When set upon a world, a mortal or god could will it, and it would open a path to another gate upon a different world. Authority was given to the gods to close the gates, if they so willed, and prevent anyone or anything from coming to or leaving their worlds. She sent a few gates to each god who opposed Astra'ath to do with as they will.

Act 1: Give the Elysians the ability to purifiy dreams, and send them to all the worlds.

Act 2: Create gates to connect the worlds. Give a few gates to each god who opposes Astra'ath.
(Basically anyone besides Astra'ath and Dragnar)

<><><><><><><>

Bulotha rested on the floor of the cavern, attended to by Feral thralls who had accepted his song. Gone was the sleek beauty the aether dragon once possessed, he was now covered in scars and the marks of battle. His wings were holed and tattered, his face bore a jagged scar over one eye, leaving it a sightless orb, and all over his body, wounds were still healing, and oozing ichor. He liked the appearance though, and when one wound managed to close, he used his claws to wound himself again. But never enough to be a danger to him, he just wanted to give Astra’ath more fear and pain to feed on. The ferals brought him meat, and though his crystalline body needed no food, he gorged himself upon it. It rotted inside of him, giving his breath the stench of decay.

You have done well, my kin. But more needs to be done. Spread the gospel of fear, and bring me those who refuse to brand themselves with Astra’ath’s mark. If they will not worship him, I will make them fear him.” Bulotha commanded.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 01:03:52 pm by Fortis »

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: May 12, 2010, 01:36:35 pm »

"I think we should follow that streak of light there..." Said Carnis.
"But, Sire, we just got to the library!" Complained Or'Oner
"So?"
"You blew a big hole in another gods creation!"
"And?"
"ARE YOU BARKING MAD, MAN?!" Screamed Or'Oner. Carnis blinked.
"Possibly. I'm not entirely in control of my own head, at any rate..." muttered Carnis, looking away shyly. And then he was gone, leaving Or'Oner to contemplate the meaning behind the rapidly cracking gods words.

And for the last time, there was.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 56