Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: My First Serious Fortress  (Read 2252 times)

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
Re: My First Serious Fortress
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2010, 02:24:29 pm »

Okay, EASY was the wrong word. But isn't the STANDARD method using bridges?
I know it's unrealistic, but I can't help but imagine little bearded babies for dwarves. In my mind, they come out of the womb fully bearded. That's how the mother carries them around, too, she just drags them around by the beard or ties it to her belt. When the father's on duty, he just ties their beards together and the baby just kind of hangs there, swinging to and fro with Urist McDaddy's movements.

Ilmoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2010, 02:32:53 pm »

Okay, EASY was the wrong word. But isn't the STANDARD method using bridges?

Probably.  But someone mentioned using floodgates in the channel, and that wouldn't work.  The closest working equivalent is hatch covers.  A step further from there is bridges ;)

jarganaut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2010, 03:18:59 pm »

What I used to do for my entrances was create long s-shaped hallways.  Putting siege equipment facing the longer hallways that can just be redirected to face another long hallway.  Generous application of stone fall traps (by generous I mean every single tile of the hallway) since weapons will be hard to create en mass at the begging.  Mix in rows of cage traps.  As a last line of defense near your main stair case build cave-in traps that prevent invaders from reaching any other z-level.

As for industry organization I have 10 levels of stacking that have worked really well for me:
10: Noble Dorms
9: Dorms
8: Dining / Meeting
7: Farms
6: Kitchens (This include the cloth workshops because of pig tail storage and leather because I have no other place)
5: Hospital
4: Jail / General Storage / Trade Depot
3: Workshops (Both Wood, Stone and Magma - important for my glass industry, moving ash/potash/pearlash bars around)
2: Tree Farm (excavated level with the underground trees makes cutting and storage easier than using the outdoor)
1: Obsidian Farm

1 Primary stair case runs up and down all levels (3x3) while the farms, kitchen, dining room has a secondary set as well because the traffic in that area is heavy.  The exact order and placement to the entrance of the fort depends a lot on the z-levels available and which are stone.  Its easiest to put the farms below your water source, but because you can easily pond mode mud or pump water up its not a deal breaker.

Mumbologi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2010, 04:48:12 am »

Well! Thanks for all these answers. So, this is what i should do:
1. Move the fortress back. farms, Rooms, dining room etc. to the stone side of the fortress for engraving and more traps.
2. Traps all down the hallway, or build a gatehouse with walls, then both later on.
3. Use third layer as major workshop area, fourth for magma.

Is that all? Or fill me in. What should i do with the huts? Let them be barracks or just leave them? And I made the entrance 3 swaures wide because the first tutorial said it was a good opening.

How wide should it be?

Jurph

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Belt-fed Weaponry
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2010, 08:12:38 am »

Generous application of stone fall traps (by generous I mean every single tile of the hallway) since weapons will be hard to create en mass at the begging.  Mix in rows of cage traps.

If you plan to strip the armor and use the captured enemies as sparring dummies, don't set cage traps behind more than one or two rows of stonefall traps.  Stonefall traps can cause wounds that are lethal but not immediately lethal, and you don't want to waste a spot in your cage traps on an enemy who will be dead in a few more steps anyway.

My preferred trap setup is a thin line (2 rows) of cage traps and a thicker line (4 rows) of stonefall traps, followed by one or two rows of weapon traps loaded with whips and scourges.  The weapons that do gore damage tend to cause so much pain that the enemies pass out or bleed out long before they've taken a truly lethal hit.  One last thin double rank of stonefall traps is a nice safety net, but make sure to leave a killing field that has no traps in it.  You need a fairly large area where your military can safely fight without worrying about trap fratricide should they fall unconscious.
Dreambrother has my original hammer-shaped Great Hall.  Towerweak has taken the idea to the next level.

Marconius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2010, 08:47:15 am »

I personally prefer to build my fortress deep underground. That means I start with ramps going down, and I only start digging rooms when I hit rock. Apart from this being more dwarvenly (the surface has elves, you know), it allows me to smooth all the rooms and make my beardies happier.

The downside is that I have to irrigate my farms, but 1) I like doing that 2) I have to do that in the new version anyway.

Plus it also means I won't be bothered by damp stone when I accidentally dig under a river... or a moat... or a lake... oh, and more room for traps! Traps are good!

Mumbologi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2010, 12:04:20 pm »

Thread Creator here again.

I have found not a single, and absolutly no metal at all. Just different types of stone and gems. Where should i dig to get some metal around here?

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2010, 12:29:16 pm »

Thread Creator here again.

I have found not a single, and absolutly no metal at all. Just different types of stone and gems. Where should i dig to get some metal around here?

It really depends on what layers you have in that embark location.  If you are not getting metals on the levels you have, try digging deeper then exploring a bit.  Look up Exploratory mining on the wiki if you don't have an idea on how.  Even on "gem" maps (of which I've had a few) you can usually find elements that when smelted produce a chance of metal.  Like Tetrahedrite  (look here)
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Shiv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2010, 01:17:39 pm »

What version of the game are you playing?  In the 31 series the metal is abundant.  In the 40 series (which came BEFORE the 31 series), metal is relatively scarce.  I'd look at the wiki for 'exploratory mining' if playing 40.  I'd just dig out a base normally if playing 31. 
I still don't think I'm crazy enough to play this game properly.

Altaree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2010, 02:55:37 pm »

Unless you have edited them, in Dig Deeper the orc are TRAPAVOID.  This mean that they don't set off any traps or pressure plates.  They are also building destroyers.  If you don't have a drawbridge over a moat that seals you in, they will get in by bashing down any doors/floodgates/grates/bars/etc.  They really like killing statues :)  I just wish it took them longer to topple one.  Statues would make a great orc delay device. 
So, to have a safe entrance:
  • dig a channel between two walls, make sure that the orcs can't even get a diagonal on the raised bridge
  • build a draw bridge over the channel (moat) so the orcs can't touch it when it is raised
  • Build a lever
  • link the lever to the bridge
  • use o->i to get the dwarves inside
  • pull the lever when the orcs arrive.

After this, build a nice little castle on the surface but have all the fortifications facing into the courtyard from over the main entrance.  The orcs walk through the entrance and get shot in the back.  This seems to reduce the casualties caused by ranged orcs.  Don't worry too much about steel with dig deeper.  If you have magma the orcs will keep you supplied!
Dan Pearson:
This is a game which calculates the volume of blood in every creature it generates so it knows how much alcohol it would have to consume to get drunk, an update which, remarkably, ended up covering people's fortresses in cat vomit.

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2010, 03:56:35 pm »

You should put floodgates across your entrance, and link them to a lever far back in your fortress proper. You can leave them down until attackers show up. When you have seigers, then you pull the lever, and you can defend as wide a hallway or entrance as you like.

For the record this doesn't work in the 31 version, if that's the one you're using.  Goblins come with Cave Crawlers and Trolls now, which are both building destroyers.

Not to start with, they don't. At least, I haven't seen the first goblins show up with any such help. By the time they do, my traps guarding the entrance have been replaced with large iron serrated discs (2 per trap, minimum), and that takes care of it.

But if I was going to ultimate defense, I'd build a 2 tile wide moat, and put a couple of draw bridges across it. 1 is only there to allow dwarves to cross out to get wood and plants while the main bridge is first being tested up. After that, it stays withdrawn for the rest of the game, unless needed. I had several main bridges destroyed in version 0.28, so that's just a habit of mine. Always have a backup way across your "impenetrable" moats. Although with the richer underground in 0.31, I suppose that isn't as vital as it once was. I like to have levers inside my fortress for controlling the bridges. That way, you don't have to worry about having someone run out and pull the lever and getting scared away from the job because of what is nearby.

What version of the game are you playing?  In the 31 series the metal is abundant.  In the 40 series (which came BEFORE the 31 series), metal is relatively scarce.  I'd look at the wiki for 'exploratory mining' if playing 40.  I'd just dig out a base normally if playing 31.

OP is using 28..40d from what has been said in the thread.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 04:03:58 pm by Lord Darkstar »
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!

Mumbologi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2010, 04:15:41 pm »

Its all over fellas. I didn't realize what i was getting into using Dig Deeper. I got crushed, blood everywhere. I built a bridge. The dwarf was one square from taking it down. The horror as 15 gobins rushed in to my untrained squad. Blood, was, everywhere.

The expedition leader, named with my name was the last one to fall. He took down two Goblins before dying. My sad first loss and hopefully many losses in DF.

Thanks for the help though. I'll update with my new fortress tomorrow. Got a lot of digging that needs to be done.  :)

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2010, 05:32:23 pm »

Goblins, you only got goblins? LUCKY!

Orcs are what you have to worry about. Oh god the Orcs. They're 10x meaner than any goblin!
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 05:35:41 pm by Calhoun »
I know it's unrealistic, but I can't help but imagine little bearded babies for dwarves. In my mind, they come out of the womb fully bearded. That's how the mother carries them around, too, she just drags them around by the beard or ties it to her belt. When the father's on duty, he just ties their beards together and the baby just kind of hangs there, swinging to and fro with Urist McDaddy's movements.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2010, 07:17:39 pm »

Yeh?  What about the goblins in the current version?  Those things are bastards.

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2010, 09:53:14 pm »

Those guys have been beefed up, but mostly I lose to them because of them semi-working military system doesn't always work for me.

Still not as bad as Orcs.
Pages: 1 [2] 3