Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: "You leave this Fortress to it's own machinations..."  (Read 896 times)

Canuhearmenow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
"You leave this Fortress to it's own machinations..."
« on: April 27, 2010, 11:43:10 am »

Let's face it, there comes a time in
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
when you get bored of a fortress, yet you don't quite want to have it crumble to it's doom (the little drunk midgets can grow on you.)

Currently, your only options are to either abandon the fortress (which doesn't make sense if it's a 2+ million Mountain Hall with it's own army) to let it die on it's own (fun, and Fun, but shouldn't be the only option) or to simply create another world and start up in an alternate game.

These leave out a fourth option, and that is for the player to choose to relinquish control of the fortress, freeing up the world the fortress inhabits for another fortress to be created. An option like this isn't without drawbacks, since it effectively makes the fortress you are leaving into an NPC Mountain Hall, so reclaiming should be impossible with this option.

Of course, to keep people from creating "flash" fortresses (one's which you barely embark, then leave) there should be a prerequisite of wealth, population, and you shouldn't be in a siege when you leave (a God doesn't leave there followers at the Eleventh Hour, even a psychotic one like you.)

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "You leave this Fortress to it's own machinations..."
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 02:30:57 pm »

ok which thead do i post on?
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Atanamis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 02:48:38 pm »

ok which thead do i post on?
The oldest or the longest, take your pick. Ideally there would only be one, which pulled in all the ideas from the others. Since the oldest was commented on by Toady, it might be a good one to pick.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 06:03:55 pm »

Keep in mind that this is already planned, and Toady is going to implement it, and that he's stated the problems associated with it.  I don't think there's really any need for discussion since it's a pretty cut and dry mechanic.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 06:30:14 pm »

Keep in mind that this is already planned, and Toady is going to implement it, and that he's stated the problems associated with it.  I don't think there's really any need for discussion since it's a pretty cut and dry mechanic.
Where did he talk about it?
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2010, 06:37:16 pm »

A few places, a few times, but in particular, scroll up and click the link that says "Comments by Toady"