Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Bones as a building material  (Read 5076 times)

Urist McDetective

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bones as a building material
« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2009, 01:28:17 pm »

I'm imagining CarpKissed - the fortress that spent all it's embark points on fish, then built a tower out of their bones. I like the building idea.
WELCOME TO FUCKING BAY12!
 - not only do they have the weapons, they also have the Fortresses -
I have noticed a rather mixed reaction with microcline, but what do people think of olivine?
Oh I love olivine.  I think dark green furniture makes the fortress tasteful.
Wait, what?

Aldaris

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIBERAL] [WANNABE_DORF] [CAVE_ADAPTED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2009, 03:40:22 pm »

I'm imagining CarpKissed - the fortress that spent all it's embark points on fish, then built a tower out of their bones. I like the building idea.
A fort made out of only Carp bones, all above ground... Imagine it, in the shape of a stuck up middle finger...

Thank you for this legendary awesomantine artifact, all craftsdwarvesship is of the hightest quality, it menaces with spikes of awesome, it is adorned with hanging rings of TAKE THAT!
but Baron Aqizzar had the firm advantage, battering Cthulhu with his Mighty Chin.
^Totally not out of context, promise.
The Liberal Crime Squad Community game, now with a Liberal Overdose of Liberally aplied Liberalism. -Liberally. (UBER-Hiatus, next update somewhere between now and 2012.)

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2009, 07:28:16 am »

Skulls for the skull throne!

Being serious, where would you build these "bone blocks"? And as much as I love this idea, it would conflict with creating practice bolts for my markdwarfs.

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

Rakeela

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 21, 2009, 05:12:41 am »

What?  You would build a fortress out of fish?  I have no time for such nonsense!

---

This phrase has been haunting my dreams for the past bloody five days.  I figured it'd be better to revive a thread than post a new one.  I keep imagining an entire fortress built out of materials gathered from the sea, with its exterior a gleaming white layer of bone.  Set on a low narrow peninsula, so its construction appeared to rise out of the ocean like a seaweed-draped monstrosity.
Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the blood god, for it is a dwarven number.  It's number is five-hundred and eighty nine.
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=53222.0

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 21, 2009, 03:45:16 pm »

While we're at it, why don't we just put blood in the glue for that added grimness?

...Also, apparently someone necro'd this. Why did a suggestion that's awesome like this need to be necro'd?
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 21, 2009, 04:53:54 pm »

Why did a suggestion that's awesome like this need to be necro'd?

Because there is just so much awesome in this forum that it drowned anyway.

But yea, good question. Who would have the expertise to make building blocks out of bones? My best guess would be the mason or the bonecarver.
I>What happens in Nefekvucar stays in Nefekvucar.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 21, 2009, 05:03:25 pm »

skull furniture and buildings should give your fort an EVIL rating ^^<P>if all requirements are met, the fort is considered evil!<P>1:bone infrastructure
2:merchants are pillaged
3:ritual sacrifices of civilized beings
4:stone littering your hallways!

But why? Bones aren't necessarily evil. You're judging it from the perspective of your own culture.

DF is planned to move away from the good/evil surroundings framework in general, I believe, and even now more of the civ wars are determined by actual ethics and not "good" or "evil".
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 21, 2009, 11:01:19 pm »

Well, if undead become a result of a particular race, then I want to be able to play as that race!!!

If you like the idea of what dwarves could do with a bone fortress, just think what a necromancer would do with it...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 21, 2009, 11:59:01 pm »

I'd imagine that bones themselves would make up the majority of furniture/blocks, with skulls and similar bits working as decorations. (skull handrests on the bone throne. Even better, skulls of past elven kings making up all of the corners of said throne, with polished ribs making the back and femurs making the base.)
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

Felblood

• Bay Watcher
  • No, you don't.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 28, 2009, 10:08:17 am »

I favor the idea of being able to encrust constructions with skulls, since the Skull Tower linked earlier provides an actual historical precedent.

However, the rest of these ideas are also pretty cool.

I remember, I once saw a documentary on some catacomb in Europe, where they build retaining walls out of interlocked bones, to keep the tons and tons of jumbled skeletons from spilling into the pathways. Some of these things are really elaborately patterned, with the different shapes of bones being arranged in the walls to form artistic designs, that repeat for miles. All of this gets more surreal, when they point out that subway vibrations collapse the walls every few months, and the whole thing has to be built all over again.

There are actually modern people who make their living by arranging piles of human bones into aesthetically pleasing and structurally sound patterns. In keeping with the theory that dwarven society should be at least as screwed up as our own, we need to have bone walls.
The path through the wilderness is rarely direct. Reaching the destination is useless,
if you don't learn the lessons of the dessert.
--but you do have to keep walking.

ousire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 28, 2009, 09:02:07 pm »

the second i saw the title for this thread i realised my king needed a throne made from the bones of a dragon

this must be implemented. now.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 09, 2009, 04:52:21 pm »

Bones can also be ground up and mixed into mortar. Bone meal and bone ash have lots of uses too, if I remember correctly.

Makes great fertilizer, for one thing.
For they would be your masters.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 10, 2009, 07:34:24 am »

All this talking of castles made of bone makes me want to make one entirely of teeth.

Just so you know. ;)

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 13, 2009, 11:05:55 am »

Once we have necromancy.. Walking skeletal towers! Ohhhh yeah!

Or bone golems. That cave in on people, lol.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 13, 2009, 12:55:30 pm »

This idea rocks.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5