Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Bones as a building material  (Read 5073 times)

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
Re: Bones as a building material
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2008, 06:48:00 pm »

Practical consideration:  Do you have to use all the same type of bones/skulls?  IE for an elf skull throne do you need like fifty elf skulls, and you can't throw in any others?  What about elf child skulls, how do you group those together?  What would you call a throne of 90% elves and 10% humans?  And it seems like you'd have to track every single skull in there if you ever wanted to deconstruct it...

...or maybe you'd first have to "create skull/bone block".  You could pick 'elf skulls' or 'random assorted skulls' and the block would never be deconstructable into its component bones afterwards.

Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

GRead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2008, 07:20:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Sowelu:
<STRONG>Practical consideration:  Do you have to use all the same type of bones/skulls?  IE for an elf skull throne do you need like fifty elf skulls, and you can't throw in any others?  What about elf child skulls, how do you group those together?  What would you call a throne of 90% elves and 10% humans?  And it seems like you'd have to track every single skull in there if you ever wanted to deconstruct it...

...or maybe you'd first have to "create skull/bone block".  You could pick 'elf skulls' or 'random assorted skulls' and the block would never be deconstructable into its component bones afterwards.</STRONG>

When I made the suggestion, I was actually thinking you would process the bones into building material, like 'bone blocks', which would then be used to build with. I would personally want the specifics to become generic; as cool as it would be to have a specific skull wall or a specific skull throne the last thing I'd want to do, given the current constructions interface, is to have *more* building materials to sort through. I don't want to be building my elf bone tower and have to sort through all the salmon bone blocks to do it.

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2008, 03:42:00 am »

When building smomething out of wood you end up using all 25 types available on your map anyway unless you are realy picky so who should bone be different?
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2008, 08:48:00 pm »

I´m not sure about Bone as building material for walls and the like (i.e. bone blocks) but furniture out of bone would be well imaginable and cool   :D

Rapozk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2008, 04:44:00 am »

An evil dark fortress made out of human bones. LOL

legends:
<name> was killed in the year of 1051. Historicans thinks that his bones was taken for construction material in the evil fortress of <fortress>.

Rapozk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2008, 04:48:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Proteus:
<STRONG>I´m not sure about Bone as building material for walls and the like (i.e. bone blocks) but furniture out of bone would be well imaginable and cool    :D</STRONG>

Why not building walls with bones? You can build walls out  of ashes, don't you?

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2008, 07:09:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Rapozk:
<STRONG>

Why not building walls with bones? You can build walls out  of ashes, don't you?</STRONG>

You´re right, compared to Blocks made out of Ash Blocks made out of Bones or Skulls sound even more realistic  :D
Well, if I could decide which features I wouldn´t need in DF, Blocks made out of Ash would be among the few ones I would mention  ;)

Istrian

• Bay Watcher
  • Malevolent Manager
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2008, 07:40:00 am »

I rather appreciate ash blocks. They can give a more "dirty" feeling to my industrial sector.

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2008, 05:37:00 pm »

Bone walls. I love it. I want it. I pay my taxes, when can I have it?

And really... Bone blocks doesn't make less sense than other things I've built fortresses out of.

Truth to be told I usually dig them out of sand. Think about it for a while... A massive, three stories tall dining hall for fifty dwarves, dug completely out of sand.

I'd prefer bones if I were them. It's less collapsey-and-suffocatey-like.

I>What happens in Nefekvucar stays in Nefekvucar.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2008, 05:53:00 pm »

Okay, assuming that one bone block gives you the same production as one stone...  How many bones per block?

I'm leaning towards 25 or 40 or something large.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2008, 06:19:00 pm »

Given the lack of restacking currently, it'd pretty much have to be one stack per block, but I'd say that once restacking shows up (and assuming it also allows you to mix and match stacks as needed) you should use about 10 units of bones per block. Enough to be "expensive" without being so much as to totally destroy any attempt to undertake a serious bone-based project.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2008, 06:47:00 pm »

Ooo, good point about restacking (though maybe it could work like melting metal before then...nah, that's silly).  But I still think it should be a way bigger number.  Killing a single cow (or two?  how many bones is that?) for an epic throne of bones just doesn't seem right.  Building even a small wall of bones should take multiple goblin raids.  A tower of bones should need you to seriously depopulate a LARGE area.

GRead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2008, 07:00:00 pm »

Thought: I recall hearing somewhere that adobe bricks and the like are planned for future release. So you could always 'cut' the bone with clay\adobe\mud to get a bone facade over an interior that is made from a more plentiful resource.
Less menacing but much more cost effective, so I guess that would make the idea 'Evil lite'. It's like Diet evil, it looks the same on the outside but the taste is different.

Chops II

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2008, 08:45:00 pm »

It should definitely depend on the type of bones your using. 10 fingers of a mouse should not make as big a wall as the thighbone of a cow, which should pale in insignificance compared to a dragon's spine. and so on. etc.

Arven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2008, 11:21:00 pm »

This is the best suggestion ever.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5