Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: DF2010: Treasures of the Deep - The Dam of Sinkfurnace!  (Read 5402 times)

Rockx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
DF2010: Treasures of the Deep - The Dam of Sinkfurnace!
« on: April 27, 2010, 04:39:05 am »

My first large-scale project! (And also my first post on the forums!) Draining a portion of the cavern water to produce arable land for my dwarfs.

In my first attempt I simply dug a channel into another cavern layer and attempted to drain the water into the lower cavern. It failed because cavern water flows in from the edge, producing an infinite supply of water.

My second attempt involved creating a dam! Two options were available, both using magma. The first was to create a dam with a series of floor hatches (or floodgates) to release the magma. The second was to create a channel that would direct magma to where it was needed, without the need for hatches. I went with the 2nd option.

STEP ONE: Create the outline of the dam using constructed floors. The create the walls that would serve to direct the flow of magma. This was done simply enough. Next, each floor tile was de-constructed, a painful task, as each had to be deconstructed one at a time, to avoid trapping the dwarfs:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

STEP TWO: Create a pump system to direct magma, and let the fun begin! As magma flows, it is channeled by the Walls into the Open Space tiles, where it falls into the water, slowly creating a wall of obsidian on the level of the water:

RESULT: The dam allowed me to drain the water, revealing...

Not what I expected. A massive underground forest! Here's a view from the fort-level. You can see the magma-dam, and the yellow and white specks of the trees at a distance.

Endless wood supply? Nearly!

Here's a link to my fortress before releasing the magma and after releasing the magma.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: DF2010: Treasures of the Deep - The Dam of Sinkfurnace!
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 04:44:21 am »

We welcome you to our humble forums! While your here please enjoy the ammonites, we have a fully functional waffle bar and an aquarium featuring several of the rarest species of jellyfish known!

We must congratulate you on your fine fortress, it is aseptically pleasing, functional and dwarfish! We hope you continue with future ventures and report back on your progress, brave sarigon.

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McDwarf cancels eat: Interupted by goat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 05:07:48 am »

Quite impressive and creative!

I get a tendency to do this too. How did you drain the water exactly?
New question! If I were to remove elves [INTELLIGENT] tag in the raws, would it work?
Dwarf Fortress: Where taking a creatures intelligence is an accepted way of modding.

Rockx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 05:22:35 am »

Initially I wanted to pump it out into the surrounding un-dammed water. But due to poor planning I couldn't drain the magma from my dam to build pumps on top of it. So I simply dug a channel down to the lower caverns and drained the water through there.

Shardok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 05:41:54 am »

Did you think of maybe using Bridges instead of floors and having the bridges attached to levers so that they could be withdrawn allowing the magma to fall? It would likely save some of the time spent disassembling floors.

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 06:09:25 am »

Did you think of maybe using Bridges instead of floors and having the bridges attached to levers so that they could be withdrawn allowing the magma to fall? It would likely save some of the time spent disassembling floors.

Just make them non-magma-safe bridges and they'll "open" by themselves..
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

Rockx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2010, 06:53:55 am »

Great idea! Didn't think of that. One problem I see though, is that there would be a 'hole' in the dam created below the tile used to construct the bridge (ie. the tile that the bridge is connected to). Any way around this?

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2010, 07:28:19 am »

Just make them non-magma-safe bridges and they'll "open" by themselves..

I thought non magma safe only melted once you raised them? well, even then, they'll nicely deconstruct themselves that way :p
Magma is overrated.

Grumman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2010, 07:39:57 am »

I thought non magma safe only melted once you raised them? well, even then, they'll nicely deconstruct themselves that way :p
No, they melt as soon as magma enters any of the squares possessed by the bridge.

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McDwarf cancels eat: Interupted by goat
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2010, 11:25:27 am »

Great idea! Didn't think of that. One problem I see though, is that there would be a 'hole' in the dam created below the tile used to construct the bridge (ie. the tile that the bridge is connected to). Any way around this?
That is no problem. If you use a retractable bridge you can build them to the side of the walls, amirite?
New question! If I were to remove elves [INTELLIGENT] tag in the raws, would it work?
Dwarf Fortress: Where taking a creatures intelligence is an accepted way of modding.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2010, 11:56:24 am »

Very impressive!
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Michaelsoftman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2010, 12:02:13 pm »

Not what I expected. A massive underground forest! Here's a view from the fort-level. You can see the magma-dam, and the yellow and white specks of the trees at a distance.

I've noticed this in the underground caverns too.  There are tons of trees growing underneath the lake down there.

Ratbert_CP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Enraged Primate
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2010, 12:26:43 pm »

We welcome you to our humble forums! While your here please enjoy the anemones, we have a fully functional waffle bar and an aquarium featuring several of the rarest species of jellyfish known!

We must congratulate you on your fine fortress, it is acerbically pleasing, functional and dwarfish! We hope you continue with future ventures and report back on your progress, brave quahog.

Fixed...
Ratbert #CP#Z
"For FUN and HONOR!"

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2010, 07:39:10 pm »

I've noticed this in the underground caverns too.  There are tons of trees growing underneath the lake down there.

Do oceans have trees underneath them as well? I've seen quite a few ocean squares listed as being heavily forested.

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2010, 09:39:26 pm »

Bug or feature? Either way that's really cool and I never thought of damming a body of water that way. I'll have to try that some time.

A LOT easier than using a double pump system with a floodgate brigade
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.
Pages: [1] 2