Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: DF2010: Treasures of the Deep - The Dam of Sinkfurnace!  (Read 5395 times)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF2010: Treasures of the Deep - The Dam of Sinkfurnace!
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2010, 09:48:46 pm »

The trees and plants spawn everywhere, but don't appear/grow until you remove whatever might be on top of them: water, stones, etc.

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2010, 09:57:50 pm »

But then they all should be saplings, those are fully grown trees giant mushrooms!

Quote from: Retro
Dwarven economics are still in the experimental stages. The humans have told them that they need to throw a lot of money around to get things going, but every time the dwarves try all they just end up with a bunch of coins lying all over the place.

The EPIC Dwarven Drinking Song of Many Names

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about logic/computing; I'm majoring in the topic.

NFossil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2010, 11:03:34 pm »

An elegant damming method for a more civilized age!
I would have just cut out a piece of the cave roof and collapsed it into the lake.

TheDancinZerg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2010, 03:15:06 am »

Two options were available, both using magma.
Every option should involve magma.

Also, that is an awesome idea.  Personally I would have just used up/down stairs in the path and built the walls off of them,  Up/down stairs are handy like that.  No need to deconstruct them either, because fluids can flow through them, as I am sure all of us have had 'fun' with while experimenting with more dwarven ways of irrigation for our fields....

Rockx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2010, 05:04:14 am »

Fun indeed, I had 3 dwarfs die while constructing this. One fell into the cavern water due to a collapse, by the time the water was drained (ie. when the project was finished) he was reduced to a mere skeleton.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2010, 05:17:47 am »

I can confirm that there are almost always trees growing  underwater in the caverns.

Boingboingsplat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2010, 04:14:58 pm »

Nice damming method! I'll have to try it out to get to my underwater addy pillar.

MMad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2010, 06:51:29 am »

Wow, clever damming method. :) Impressive and elegant.
"Ask not what your fortress can do for you - ask what you can do for your fortress."
Unapologetic ASCII abolitionist.

bmaczero

• Bay Watcher
  • Smokie, Tame Parakeet (On Head)
    • View Profile
    • I make games
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2010, 08:29:25 am »

But then they all should be saplings, those are fully grown trees giant mushrooms!
I think what happens is the game increments their age, but they aren't allowed to actually grow to full size while covered.  Once the obstacle is removed, they spring instantly to maturity ;).
The Forgotten Beast Art Archive.  Nightmares 100% guaranteed!

Rockx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2010, 09:39:31 am »

Actually, while I was loo(k)-ing at the tiles underwater, before draining, there were quite a few trees already fully grown mixed in with saplings and shrubs. So these trees were already fully grown before I drained the water. Maybe it just so happens that the cavern was once a forest-cavern that got flooded during world-gen... who knows!

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2010, 05:53:17 pm »

No, I think that it's coded so that the entire surface of a cavern is covered with trees: Toady forgot to make an exception for underwater.

Quote from: Retro
Dwarven economics are still in the experimental stages. The humans have told them that they need to throw a lot of money around to get things going, but every time the dwarves try all they just end up with a bunch of coins lying all over the place.

The EPIC Dwarven Drinking Song of Many Names

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about logic/computing; I'm majoring in the topic.

Shiv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2010, 08:07:20 pm »

Seems that it used to be that water would kill any sapling/tree that was submerged.  It no longer does this anywhere, cavern or not.  Whatever's causing that is likely your culprit, not a blanket cavern seeding.
I still don't think I'm crazy enough to play this game properly.
Pages: 1 [2]