Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Dwarf Surgeons Get Strange Moods  (Read 9631 times)

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Surgeons Get Strange Moods
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2010, 11:12:17 am »

IT'S ALIVE...

IT"S AAALLLLLIIIIIIIIIIIIIIVVE!!!!!!!!!!

Quote from: Retro
Dwarven economics are still in the experimental stages. The humans have told them that they need to throw a lot of money around to get things going, but every time the dwarves try all they just end up with a bunch of coins lying all over the place.

The EPIC Dwarven Drinking Song of Many Names

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about logic/computing; I'm majoring in the topic.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2010, 11:17:22 am »

The surgeon takes a horse and a dwarf, and creates a dwarven centaur.

I like this suggestion, though. Toady would have tons of fun with this.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2010, 12:11:07 pm »

come to me and hear the words of the wise toady (The great. All hails to him):

Quote from: Toady One

Quote from: bombcar
Are the medical skills moodable? If not, why   not? Provide examples.

Ha ha, no.  I'm not sure what a   legendary crutch walker would do as a mood.  The surgeons and bone   setters and suturers might work with the fell mood or the macabre mood.    It would certainly make them more creepy.  We'd obviously need   electricity before they can make anything alive out of dead stuff,   though I guess you don't need electricity to make living stuff out of   stuff that's already alive, or something.

This was mentioned here
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Coidzure Dreams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2010, 01:04:25 pm »

Scared.

Also, confused.  Didn't he come out and say electricity was one thing he was definitely not going to do when bauxite came up?

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2010, 01:19:03 pm »

Electricity could come in with magics as addtional damage type way to harm things, as Lightnings etc. It does not need to be bound to any kind of technical progress and especially bound to making aluminium. I atleast want a fucking electric eel and Gods that can throw actual Lightning ...
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Firehound

• Bay Watcher
  • !!human!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2010, 01:24:10 pm »

"It is with this I'd like to introduce you all to urist Mchackslash... He's got a new arm too."
*Que dwarf with a full-sized ballista armed with adamantine tipped balista bolts replacing the arm*

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2010, 01:25:18 pm »

Oh man ... and I wanted to have nice dreams today.

This brought back my memories to horror film Human Centipede ... oh ... I guess I just could go sleep tommorow.
It is so much easier to measure life in experience points...

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2010, 02:02:58 pm »

Too modify my two latest statements:

Quote from: Toady One link=topic=5839.msg73692#msg73692   date=1194342960
Electricity is in about the same category for me as   steam locomotives, I guess, as far as whether I'd ever find time to work   on something like that for this game.  I'd really rather detail the   current picture than expand the canvas so much, since there'd likely be a   lot of empty space in curious places.  Exploring ideas like that might   even be more time-efficient in separate projects without hauling the   constraints from DF along, though of course some of the mixing with   existing DF elements would lead to amusement.

So electricity isnt out of the window but very unlikely at the moment. This wasnt thought the maintheme of this thread so i have to say that i am sorry for the derail.

Proud to be a Furry.

Blackburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2010, 05:43:40 pm »

Actually...instead of reviving a recently dead dwarf, how about a surgeon's strange mood makes them reanimate a skeleton of a dwarf?

SKELODWARF: ULTIMATE WARRIOR.

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2010, 06:06:26 pm »

The medical dorf should take a hospital patient(or make one....) for his atrocity making(probably the worst hurt one and the one with the best skill on what atrocities the doctor wants to do with him). Imagine a miner with an adminite pick for an arm.
Hello Hunam

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2010, 09:44:12 pm »

I think that all surgeon moods should be Macabre, unless he qualifies for Fell.

If he's Macabre, he'll take an animal or a freshly/almost dead dwarf and make it "better".  (So, it's Dr. Moreau, Dr. Frankenstein, or the 6,000,000☼ Dwarf.)

If he's Fell, than he'll "make" whatever he needs, and expect something closer to Resident Evil.

Now I wonder what would happen if a grower got a fell mood. (Little Workshop of Horrors)

Quote from: Retro
Dwarven economics are still in the experimental stages. The humans have told them that they need to throw a lot of money around to get things going, but every time the dwarves try all they just end up with a bunch of coins lying all over the place.

The EPIC Dwarven Drinking Song of Many Names

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about logic/computing; I'm majoring in the topic.

Tinker Thinker

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRESSES_BUTTONS:RED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2010, 08:32:00 pm »

I was always under the impression that the absurd power of adamantine armor (and adamantine weapons in 40d) was not the intended result. My impression was that they were to be clearly a cut above the rest even with mediocre working, but still not THAT powerful that you can replace your entire military with a legendary dwarf kitted head to toe in adamantine. So, giving a dwarf a prosthetic chainsaw arm (a la Ash) would somewhat defeat this purpose, unless it also came with drawbacks.
Does anyone else find my avatar looks crooked?

Duke Drake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2010, 06:01:03 pm »

Urist McDreamy, surgeon has created a *<+=*Stibnite Head.*=+>*.
Urist McDreamy, surgeon has been struck down!
Urist McDreamy, surgeon is more experienced.
Urist McDreamy, surgeon has organized a party at Limestone Table.
Urist McDreamy, surgeon cancels Drink: no mouth.
Urist McDreamy, surgeon has become enraged!
Urist McDreamy, surgeon has been struck down!
Because I just know that's how it would end up with my dwarves, being the second worst idea right behind attempting to get a bucket of lava to feed the animals.

Robocorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2010, 06:31:35 pm »

I was always under the impression that the absurd power of adamantine armor (and adamantine weapons in 40d) was not the intended result. My impression was that they were to be clearly a cut above the rest even with mediocre working, but still not THAT powerful that you can replace your entire military with a legendary dwarf kitted head to toe in adamantine. So, giving a dwarf a prosthetic chainsaw arm (a la Ash) would somewhat defeat this purpose, unless it also came with drawbacks.
A chainsaw arm would be heavy, a dwarf with an iron limb who hadn't already gone through some sort of military training would find this to be more of a curse than a blessing, would Urist McFishdissector who lost his arm to wolves right after migrating do very well with an artifact lead axeblade for an arm? The encumbrance would be worth the trade off, unless you cherry picked to make a limb out of adamantine or aluminum, even then you'd have to make sure that the dwarf who got it would be useful to use it.

blizzerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2010, 06:32:17 pm »

the surgeon is able to replace a lost limb by a material as a prostetics
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4