Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

Author Topic: Play Now! is bad....very bad  (Read 18247 times)

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
Re: Play Now! is bad....very bad
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2010, 08:19:06 pm »

the best part was in thos 4 seconds the only thing i thought of was  whys my wagon smoking

Because that smoke signal is a mile high! The royal navy will be here and all we have to do it wait for them.

BUT WHY IS THE RUM GONE?
I lol'd
this sounds like a hilarious scenario
are fire snakes really food?
I usually do play now in hopes that I get a reincarnated dwarf with a super kill list.
Fifteen men on a dead man's chest, Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum

Duane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2010, 08:19:30 pm »

I used it once. I will never prepare carefully again. You get all you need, 2 picks, 2 axes, and you can just make people miners. >.>

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2010, 08:26:03 pm »

This is the most awesome "Losing is Fun!" scenario I have ever heard of.  Oh, and I hope you reported this as a bug if it isn't already in the tracker.

The closest I ever got to this was the time when my dorfs embarked on a frozen river and it melted after about 30 secs or so.  No where near 4 seconds, though.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2010, 08:36:46 pm »

There was that fort back some while ago which showed the bug where a magma vent basically erupted, its a real famous one around here, forget the name though.

That one probably lasted less than 4 seconds.

Was that the one where the volcano was generated above a bottomless pit?

If so, I think the dwarves survived for more than four seconds since the person posting it was able to describe the wreckage left afterwards.

Coidzure Dreams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2010, 08:40:38 pm »

Embarking over a volcano, I'm very happy for you and I'm-a let you finish, but Embarking with 15 live firesnakes is the most Dwarvenly Embark of all time.  OF ALL TIME.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 08:45:59 pm by Coidzure Dreams »

denito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2010, 10:25:45 pm »

I wonder if anyones embarked directly over a vent mouth...

I recently embarked like this.  The wagon came out overlapping the magma so was "exploded" (no wagon and gear strewn everywhere).  But part of the volcano rim also extended overhead.  It caved in on top of my dwarves as soon as I un-paused, killing 3 of my starting 7 in the first frame.  Had they all been standing in the same place, it would have set the new record...
My wife: "Are you playing that midget fort game again?"

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2010, 10:28:59 pm »

Ok, death by the first frame would have been AWE INSPIRING!!
Shame it didn't work out, maybe next embark.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2010, 10:37:59 pm »

I'm almost certain there has been a scenario of death by first frame before, but I don't know where the thread is.

Also, I've heard of a player who normally caved in his wagon to drop it 1 z-level so that it would be protected from enemies.

Once, he started directly above the magma pipe, but didn't know it.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2010, 11:48:05 pm »

so i hit the play now button (my bad) so im like OK i can do this!!

4 seconds  after embark BAM ever ones dead..... yea play now embarked me with 15 fire snakes as food that set the world on fire yea ( play now)  is really dwarven for (DIE FAST BY FIRE)

I'm sorry you got burned.

You must be steaming mad!

I wouldn't blame you for being red-hot with anger.

Let the rage ember out though, food types are random with Play Now, it wasn't intentional.

Ok I'm done. :)
I agree that hazardous materials should not be included with "Play Now" by default.
When a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, he is tired of life.

Canalan

• Bay Watcher
  • A Chainsaw! Find some meat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2010, 12:53:36 am »

4 seconds  after embark BAM ever ones dead..... yea play now embarked me with 15 fire snakes as food that set the world on fire yea ( play now)  is really dwarven for (DIE FAST BY FIRE)

Let the rage ember out though, food types are random with Play Now, it wasn't intentional.

I agree that hazardous materials should not be included with "Play Now" by default.
So... new pun thread?

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2010, 12:58:53 am »

So... new pun thread?

Maybe. But this one would likely burn out faster, there's just less to go on.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2010, 01:03:54 am »

Hi!

I guess you shouldn't invite dwarves who like their food extra-spicy when using embark now :) :) :)

Actually, this makes me wonder: If your home civ gave you that extra-boon, shouldn't they also be on board the trade caravan? Or were your initial 7 just very unpopular with the king? Questions upon questions :)

Deathworks

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2010, 01:18:37 am »

I embarked on a volcano to find the caravan was placed on top of the vent. The dwarves who randomly appeared on the north side fell into the magma and melted. The dwarves who randomly appeared on the south side fell about 40 z-levels to splatter on the ground level. The wagon was apparently placed on the 1 tile edge, which made it poof and drop most of the supplies off the sides - either into the volcano or off the cliff. A few bits of junk remained on the top, but both my picks were gone and all the food and drink was either in the volcano or on the ground level and inaccessible. The two remaining dwarves trapped on the top probably would have died on their own pretty quick, but I just abandoned since they had absolutely no way down.

If I would have had a pick I would have just drained off the first two levels of magma by channeling and then built a stairway down out of the obsidian mined from those two layers. The expedition leader was still alive, and it would have been an epic start to have the two survivors build their way down the side of the volcano using obsidian stairs just in time to reach the alcohol on the bottom. But alas, my copper picks were nothing but puddles in the magma sea.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2010, 01:55:25 am »

So... new pun thread?

Maybe with a little effort we could have it rise from the flames.

Coidzure Dreams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2010, 02:13:45 am »

So... new pun thread?

Maybe with a little effort we could have it rise from the flames.

If you like it extra crispy, sure.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9