Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Annoying mole and dumbass military  (Read 1188 times)

psychologicalshock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Annoying mole and dumbass military
« on: April 26, 2010, 03:34:34 pm »

My military went thirsty/hungry while being taught to fight by one dwarf, this constantly made them unhappy and fearing a tantrum spiral I disbanded the military. Then suddenly a giant mole crawls into my fortress (dunno how), its hardly dangerous but killing it is impossible. I recruited my military again but they wont pick up their old weapons and so they beat the crap out of this mole, it runs away into the cave , recovers and comes back for another beating. How do I solve this problem?

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Annoying mole and dumbass military
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 03:37:06 pm »

I want a setting where soldiers are not allowed to engage in combat without a weapon.  I'm tired of legendary axedwarves randomly deciding to fight with barehands :(.

Worldwaker

• Bay Watcher
  • Kitty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 03:58:25 pm »

If you have more then 20 dwarfs, you need to assign a someone to the Arsenal Dwarf position. Otherwise, they'll just ignore you and die all over the place.

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Arsenal_Dwarf

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 04:24:47 pm »

I still have this problem with an arsenal dwarf :(.

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010, 04:30:06 pm »

IMPORTANT: Do not assign dwarfs to train.  Training = goofing around, inactive is the best way to get them to practice because they will stand around doing individual drills. 

One more thing, for any defense or training or patrol orders, set the minimum amount to two dwarfs below the number you have in the squad (at least?).  This says that if the squad has 10 people its ok for 2 of them to be drinking or sleeping or eating at any given time.  You have it set at 10, and that means that the commander will never let anyone do anything until they are deyhdrated or starving because they only have 10 available dwarves to begin with. 
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2010, 04:32:32 pm »

Check the equipment screen next to each dwarf does it say 'individual choice Melee'? Or something close to that at least Im in the middle of genning so I can check just yet. Change that to a spacific weapon and they should go and pick up their weapons.
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

tastypaste

• Bay Watcher
  • "It's delicious!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2010, 04:58:26 pm »

They need several things to equip themselves and work right.

1. An arsenal dwarf with his own office
2. A barracks that is assigned to their squad for training (they don't have to sleep there or store equipment there, just train there)
3. Keep them set to Inactive on the alerts screen or they won't do anything
Denethor cancels stewardship:  Went Insane.
Denethor went berserk!

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2010, 05:07:04 pm »

yea, I don't believe in training.
I set them all to go attack cavern creatures which I modded to come in packs of 10-15 (skeletal jabberers by the dozen!) and if they die (which is often, and they don't get removed from the military screen, a major annoyance) then I replace them.  Survival of the fittest!
but now goblins are no fun to kill :(
Fifteen men on a dead man's chest, Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum

Dave Mongoose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2010, 05:07:42 pm »

If you have more then 20 dwarfs, you need to assign a someone to the Arsenal Dwarf position. Otherwise, they'll just ignore you and die all over the place.

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Arsenal_Dwarf

In my experience the number of dwarves doesn't matter: they won't equip anything unless you have an arsenal dwarf. Even if you lack the 20 dwarves required to unlock the position, they'll still refuse to put on armour or pick up weapons for themselves.

Another problem with the 'Active/Training' setting is that the recruits will start to complain about 'the long patrol', even if they're sat in the barracks.

Stik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2010, 05:23:03 pm »

With or without ars. dwarf i find that they pick up their stuff just the training bug, i did manage to get my guys to spar once... with steel swords and spears, luckly no major injurys

psychologicalshock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2010, 05:30:25 pm »

IMPORTANT: Do not assign dwarfs to train.  Training = goofing around, inactive is the best way to get them to practice because they will stand around doing individual drills. 

One more thing, for any defense or training or patrol orders, set the minimum amount to two dwarfs below the number you have in the squad (at least?).  This says that if the squad has 10 people its ok for 2 of them to be drinking or sleeping or eating at any given time.  You have it set at 10, and that means that the commander will never let anyone do anything until they are deyhdrated or starving because they only have 10 available dwarves to begin with.

Jesus , this is so complicated and confusing.......
I like it.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2010, 07:43:17 pm »

It's definitely a system with a lot of potential.  Once some of the bugs and quirks are worked out, it'll be excellent.

The biggest annoyances for me right now are the difficulties involved with dwarves swapping out their training weapons for their real ones (even with their equipment adjusted, they often carry both at the expense of their ability to use them/or at the expense of their shields) and the military screen not reporting whether dwarves are injured/dead/or in another squad.  It's also sometimes difficult to get them to kill things like I order, but that seems to be hit or miss.

However, the order system really is nice; it's good to be able to customize alerts and the way in which dwarves train.  Once I get a better feel for it I'll definitely apply it to civilians...I've been able to keep my cavern forts safe from attackers in the caves, but when they come out of the water it would definitely be good to have them retreat to safety zones.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

psychologicalshock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2010, 09:07:20 pm »

Well I took the advice from this thread and it worked, the dwarves got armed then chased the mole around for a few weeks but eventually someone put an axe through one of its nerves and then hacked it apart.

Meanwhile a dwarf who was traumatized by said mole goes to leader's office to complain lugging along with him a barrel of beer, he then proceeds to sit down and patiently wait for the  leader to finish his book keeping work while I assume he sipped his beer.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 09:09:02 pm by psychologicalshock »

Stik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2010, 09:36:03 pm »

Gratz on killing a tiny mole perhaps... elephants have a better yeild, are abundant, and just as easy to kill :D

psychologicalshock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2010, 09:50:17 pm »

It wasn't a tiny , it yielded about 30 units of foot total, when i checked its description it was said to be huge and fat. Welp a forgotten beast also showed up and killed all the kittens exploring the caves, I decided to wall up like a coward.
Pages: [1] 2