Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: A Emotion-Free System of Ethics  (Read 4692 times)

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A Emotion-Free System of Ethics
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2010, 04:32:52 pm »

The existentialists will hold you reliable for an outcome, and not intention, whereas a christian-based religion will hold you accountable for intention, and not the outcome.

In the case of the study, extreme emotional morality will lead to misinterpretation, and extreme logic will lead to logical fallacies. For humans, we do not have enough information to rely on one extreme
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

TheDarkJay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2010, 04:37:08 pm »

Intention and Outcome are both factors, in that if your intent is to cause suffering and you fail, odds are you are going to try again so should be incarcerated (or alternative) to prevent this. Otherwise, outcome is what really matters.

That strikes me as the more rational approach...

Of course, this talk is pointless. Morality doesn't really exist as anything more than a social contract for mutual self-preservation...
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 04:40:29 pm by TheDarkJay »

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2010, 04:38:00 pm »

The existentialists will hold you reliable for an outcome, and not intention, whereas a christian-based religion will hold you accountable for intention, and not the outcome.

You're forgetting Kantian logic: "If everyone would do it and the outcome is undesirable, then nobody should do it"

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2010, 04:38:19 pm »

Both outcome and intent are important if you want to actually figure out why something happened and either discourage/encourage it from happening again.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2010, 04:43:38 pm »

Kantian logic

Of course, being human, everyone would end up practising 'Let's do and say we didn't'

More on Kantian logic?
While talking to AJ:

Kebooo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2010, 04:57:56 pm »

Survival instinct and emotion aren't directly related

Yes, we distinguish between the two concepts, but I'm just trying to argue they are derived from the same notion, desire.  Whether you feel the desire or not.  I have a desire to stay alive.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2010, 05:03:42 pm »

Kantian logic

Of course, being human, everyone would end up practising 'Let's do and say we didn't'

More on Kantian logic?

Wouldn't that be immoral according to Kant? :P

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2010, 05:28:41 pm »

Im fine with killing people, mass-murder and wars. I dont understand how "social animals" like humans work. My mothership will be back to analyze my findings in about a week, so somebody better help me out here.
Win
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2010, 05:32:04 pm »

Im fine with killing people, mass-murder and wars. I dont understand why some people view it as a bad thing.
I haven't studied Human Psychology since my days at Human High School, but I would guess empathy. You see, some humans are naturally capable of seeing how other humans feel, and sometimes react to these feeling as if they were their own. This ability to commune with other humans lets humans "cooperate", much like ants. Indeed, just like ants, humans are capable of building large and durable structures and hunting animals much bigger than themselves.

bjlong

• Bay Watcher
  • [INVISIBLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2010, 05:45:58 pm »

Im fine with killing people, mass-murder and wars. I dont understand why some people view it as a bad thing.
I haven't studied Human Psychology since my days at Human High School, but I would guess empathy. You see, some humans are naturally capable of seeing how other humans feel, and sometimes react to these feeling as if they were their own. This ability to commune with other humans lets humans "cooperate", much like ants. Indeed, just like ants, humans are capable of building large and durable structures and hunting animals much bigger than themselves.

Ah! This is why they seem so much like ants, despite a frivolous bi-gender society. Perhaps you could further explain their reluctance to uphold monarchies, the need to mate repeatedly, and the formation of so-called "boy bands".
I hesitate to click the last spoiler tag because I expect there to be Elder Gods in it or something.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2010, 05:53:32 pm »

These 'boy bands' that you speak of are key components of the power held by the 'overlords'. These groups have been brainwashed to believe they are special, and that people love them. These subsequent people are than conditioned through propaganda and repeated positive exposure to associate their sexual urges and desires for fame through them. With the common folk under control, the overlords can extract their precious 'money' from them, which they use to further ensnare the common folk. Given enough time, the common folk will soon forget their own individualization and have other aspects of their lives suffer a similar fate.
While talking to AJ:

bjlong

• Bay Watcher
  • [INVISIBLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2010, 05:56:35 pm »

These 'boy bands' that you speak of are key components of the power held by the 'overlords'. These groups have been brainwashed to believe they are special, and that people love them. These subsequent people are than conditioned through propaganda and repeated positive exposure to associate their sexual urges and desires for fame through them. With the common folk under control, the overlords can extract their precious 'money' from them, which they use to further ensnare the common folk. Given enough time, the common folk will soon forget their own individualization and have other aspects of their lives suffer a similar fate.

So human society is progressing... how intriguing.
I hesitate to click the last spoiler tag because I expect there to be Elder Gods in it or something.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2010, 05:59:04 pm »

Reminds me of the Vulcans.

No emotion, all logic.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2010, 06:01:50 pm »

The dopamine constantly circulating through our veins gives us pleasant tingling sensations without the requirement of an emotional trigger. Without emotions in the way, we are free to continue our search of collective knowledge to further improve the accuracy of our logic
While talking to AJ:

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2010, 07:00:20 pm »

Reminds me of the Vulcans.

No emotion, all logic.

If you mean the study reminds you of Vulcans, then you should read it again.  This has nothing to do with emotionless logic.  It has everything to do with a failure to connect intent with (potential;  no, make that probable) action.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6