Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: using blood barrels  (Read 6953 times)

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
using blood barrels
« on: April 26, 2010, 01:58:57 pm »

Well.  Apparently diplomats can still meet while the game's paused.  I'm...still not entirely sure what my awesome stair autodesignator ordered, but next year they came with more blood than booze.  I bought it since it was cheap, and maybe I can rescue the barrels somehow, but I'm a little unclear on that.
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: using blood barrels
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 02:08:33 pm »

If you add the [EDIBLE_COOKED] to [MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:BLOOD_TEMPLATE] in material_template_default.txt, you can then cook the blood into prepared meals.  It will as a liquid suffer from the same problem as cooking booze or syrup, in that a meal made entirely from blood will dissolve into useless puddles when a dwarf tries to eat it, but meals made from mixed liquids and solids seem to hold together.  Otherwise, I don't know of any use for the blood, or way to get it out of the barrel.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Elvin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 02:17:27 pm »

Not to be cliche or anything but...magma might solve your problems...

Simply apply magma very carefully to the barrels, so that you melt the contents without destroying the barrel. Kinda like a reverse Baked Alaska.

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 02:28:56 pm »

Isn't...  blood already molten?  And would melting things leave their barrels?

backflip

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010, 03:34:36 pm »

!!Blood Barrel!! sounds like an awesome component for a weapon trap.
No, its realistic.

I dont think realism is a major concern in a game about alcoholic midgets fighting dragons and soapmen.

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2010, 04:12:54 pm »

The day we can catapult arbitrary objects will be a good day for DF.

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2010, 04:55:06 pm »

The day we can catapult arbitrary objects will be a good day for DF.
Although frankly, I'd imagine, say, goblins and elves would end up as the ammo of choice over blood.
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2010, 06:37:25 pm »

Well.  Apparently diplomats can still meet while the game's paused.  I'm...still not entirely sure what my awesome stair autodesignator ordered, but next year they came with more blood than booze.  I bought it since it was cheap, and maybe I can rescue the barrels somehow, but I'm a little unclear on that.

While it can be modded to be cooked, as an above poster mentioned, there is currently no use for blood... thought you might be able to dump it if you select the blood itself(not the barrel of blood) for dumping.
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

Keuran

• Bay Watcher
  • not made of spiders
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2010, 06:58:42 pm »

You can't dump liquids (I tested this trying to make bloodstains on the ground after finding that dumping powders makes stains) but if you set the melting temperature high enough, it'll become a blob that you can dump. I can't guarantee that your dwarves won't instantly die of solid blood, though.

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2010, 01:38:53 pm »

You can't dump liquids (I tested this trying to make bloodstains on the ground after finding that dumping powders makes stains) but if you set the melting temperature high enough, it'll become a blob that you can dump. I can't guarantee that your dwarves won't instantly die of solid blood, though.
That sounds like an unpleasant way of dying. Not necessarily as unpleasant as flash-boiling and poisons that make your intestines explode, I suppose, but it certainly ranks.
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

HammerDave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2010, 03:40:15 pm »

Regarding solid blood -- must make it happen, and call it Andromeda Strain!   ;)

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2010, 03:49:17 pm »

On the topic of modding blood to make it usable, can custom ranged weapons be made to fire liquid as ammo? I'm aware cats can be used as ammo but what of liquid?

Alternatively, add/edit a custom reaction so that blood gives you blood gems.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

BitLooter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2010, 03:59:35 pm »

Blood diamonds?

I can't guarantee that your dwarves won't instantly die of solid blood, though.
Somebody do this, please.
Well really, if you can't be an insane Dwarven dictator hellbent on genociding Mermaids for their precious bones in a video game, where CAN you?

Mfbrew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2010, 04:04:01 pm »

Coagulated blood is a real food, even when it isn't combined with meat to make sausage or pudding, so you'd be completely justified in editing the raws.  Is there an actual use for blood-in-barrels in vanilla df yet?

Devast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2010, 09:13:40 pm »

Would blood painting work if you drop the barrel several Z levels above the target?
Pages: [1] 2