Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Anesthesia fears  (Read 4080 times)

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Anesthesia fears
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2010, 11:56:28 pm »

See if you can talk to the anesthesiologist beforehand, and tell them you had that reaction the first time around. I know there's more than one way to anesthetize someone, and some of the chemicals they use might be more likely to cause that kind of thing than others are. They should have access to your medical file to see what was used the last time. I know it doesn't really help a whole lot beforehand, but not having the same reaction on your second go-round might make it easier if you ever have to do it a third time.

I've been under anesthesia six different times, so I do sympathize. It's not a fun experience (and I never had any weird reactions to it). But I have to echo Shzar's sentiments. Temporary discomfort is better than non-temporary discomfort.

As to phobias: Bees and Wasps. I've never even been stung by one, which is probably why I'm so dang scared of them. I freak out anytime one of the little buzzing beasties comes near me.
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2010, 12:37:27 am »

If you blew your knee out, you have to get it operated on, fear or no.  Anyway, anesthesia is fun, I used to love getting laughing gas until they left me on it for an hour (At least I think it was an hour, after the first indeterminate period of time I lost track of what was going on) and I got sick.  They aren't allowed to give it to me anymore because of legal reasons.

And yeah, the real knock-out anesthetic works so fast you don't have time to get scared.

My phobia:  I have mild to moderate trypophobia, which is fear of clusters of tiny holes, especially in flesh.  Sometimes it doesn't bother me at all, sometimes just thinking about it makes me physically ill.  The first time I saw a surinam toad giving birth I almost threw up.

Shoes...

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2010, 01:11:06 am »

Spiders, but not so much these days.  Needles, but I can resist it when needed.  Heights and fear of falling on the other hand...!

Only had the knockout stuff once, it was more embarassing than anything else.  I was having my wisdom teeth removed, and when I woke up, I had trouble walking and my balance was off, but I managed.  Oh yeah, and my parents were there to drive me home.  I also talked.  For like half an hour.  About what an amazing experience that all was.  I talked so much, my mom had to put the guaze back in the proper spots, and thankfully by then I realized I needed to shut up, bad.  That was about it really.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2010, 03:26:01 am »

I don't think any surgeon in their right mind would perform joint surgery while the patient is still free to twitch under the restraints
It's not that unusual. Plenty of surgical interventions are done without general anesthesia. Granted, the patient is often given a sedative, but even then it's a far call from "being under".
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2010, 07:31:01 am »

When I had my teeth removed they put me under...was an odd experience... I remember them putting the IV in me then a couple seconds later it was an hour later and I was sitting in a chair in a different room waiting to be discharged.  Though I swear I woke up in the middle of the surgery but I just went right back out.

Wasn't scary or anything it was just like closing your eyes and opening to find yourself an hour in the future.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 07:33:06 am by Rilder »
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2010, 09:13:26 am »

I was under once, nothing happened but what was wrong was when i got it, I lasted for like 5-10 seconds and after 6 or 7 it started going dark, fading away. So don't worry about it and i also suggest the same thing Fossaman said, you might get away from the terrible experience you had.

I'm afraid of spiders
That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

God DAMN I love this game!

dizzyelk

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes kittens for their delicious roasts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2010, 05:53:30 pm »

I got put under when I broke my ankle and had to have surgery. I woke up feeling fine, not even groggy. Was starving, though.

But my phobia is heights, to the point where even looking at a picture of a high up rickety ledge or something gets my palms a sweating and butterflies in me stomach.
Dwarf Fortress - Bringing out the evil in people since 2006.
Somehow, that fills me more with dread than anticipation.  It's like being told that someone's exhuming your favorite grandparent and they're going to try to make her into a cyborg stripper.

Psyco Jelly

• Bay Watcher
  • It begins!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2010, 04:12:45 pm »

Anesthesia wasn't that bad. One thing I did was shiver and bite my tongue, but I don't remember it. I did hallucinate, but not visual hallucination. I smelled eggs, and felt like I was in two places at once.

I just made it home, and this is the absolute worst pain I've ever felt. It comes in waves though. I might start posting regular after maybe a week. Good bye for now, everyone.
Not only is it not actually advertising anything, it's just copy/pasting word salads about gold, runescape, oil, yuan, and handbags.  It's like a transporter accident combined all the spambots into one shambling mass of online sales.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2010, 06:44:29 pm »

After having my teeth removed via surgery I had like no pain at all... seriously, my gums were bleeding for like 3+ days but there was no pain...  It allowed me to save the Vicoden for when I felt like relaxing... :P
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2010, 06:49:30 pm »

After having my teeth removed via surgery I had like no pain at all... seriously, my gums were bleeding for like 3+ days but there was no pain...  It allowed me to save the Vicoden for when I felt like relaxing... :P

Lucky bastard >_>  When I got my wisdom teeth taken out, the codeine they gave me didn't work at all.  Lost more than 5 pounds that first week because I just couldn't eat anything due to pain... and believe me, my mouth was doing that whole "spewing blood as fast as possible" thing, too.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2010, 06:59:30 pm »

I think I had the luckiest wisdom tooth extraction of all time.  They took all four teeth and gave me hydrocodone or something, which I only had to use for the first day, I think.  No complications, bleeding was basically done by the time I woke up, it was pretty cool.

The other time I had surgery was an appendectomy (laparoscopic).  The appendicitis was a lot more painful than anything resulting from the surgery, although the barium enema sucked.  Also, when I woke up, they brought me an NES with a giant stack of games, including Battletoads and motherfucking River City Ransom.  It was awesome.

Canalan

• Bay Watcher
  • A Chainsaw! Find some meat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2010, 08:34:19 pm »

Had to get anesthasized for some knee surgery. I thought it was delicious.

I have a crippling fear of cockroaches. If I even see one, I scream like a girl.

Rashilul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2010, 10:10:25 am »

That sounds like a pretty horrible injury, mate.

I have a horrible fear of... mirrors. More precisely, mirrors at night while I'm alone.

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2010, 10:27:57 am »

I think I had the luckiest wisdom tooth extraction of all time.  They took all four teeth and gave me hydrocodone or something, which I only had to use for the first day, I think.  No complications, bleeding was basically done by the time I woke up, it was pretty cool.

The other time I had surgery was an appendectomy (laparoscopic).  The appendicitis was a lot more painful than anything resulting from the surgery, although the barium enema sucked.  Also, when I woke up, they brought me an NES with a giant stack of games, including Battletoads and motherfucking River City Ransom.  It was awesome.

WHAT HOSPITAL?

OT: Glad the Anesthesia wasn't too bad, (I also felt like I was in multiple places at once when I was recovering). Pain sucks though.
I know it's unrealistic, but I can't help but imagine little bearded babies for dwarves. In my mind, they come out of the womb fully bearded. That's how the mother carries them around, too, she just drags them around by the beard or ties it to her belt. When the father's on duty, he just ties their beards together and the baby just kind of hangs there, swinging to and fro with Urist McDaddy's movements.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2010, 10:44:35 am »

last time I had full anesthesia was when I was 1 year old, so I don't remember much. I think I would be terrified of having to lose consciousness in such a way however.

my phobia is fear of syringes. Not needles, I have no problems hitting me with a sewing needle ( in the limits of what is reasonable. I am not afraid of it, but I am not crazy either.). But when I see a syringe, I completely lose any control and try to escape, scream, run, whatever. and it is even worse if said syringe is to be used to take blood from me. even talking about it makes me feel ill.
Of course, it is very bad when I have to get vaccines. And embarrassing, since I am 18 and everybody around me points to 8 year old children who calmly get injection.
Well, they are youg, sure. But they have no phobia, of course they are calm!
Pages: 1 [2] 3