Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23

Author Topic: Stephen Hawking is afraid of aliens  (Read 18755 times)

Creaca

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm Back.
    • View Profile
Re: Stephen Hawking is afraid of aliens
« Reply #300 on: May 08, 2010, 11:52:14 am »

Aliens? Stephen Hawking? Please Barbarossa, stay on topic~~

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: May 08, 2010, 12:08:01 pm »

I never knew you were cold-hearted enough to blow up a man and his wheelchair.

;D

Shoot, how did you know I was secretly an alien?
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: May 08, 2010, 05:56:39 pm »

I'm afraid of aliens, too! I want them to be all Star Trek, but they're more likely to be all [insert relativistic weapon system] and annihilate us without even saying goodbye. Not real good movie material!

Or they'd all be too simple for space travel.

I want to find some space monsters, though, that we can tame to pull ships through space. Yeah. Like the Doctor Who episode with the star whale thing.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: May 08, 2010, 07:26:52 pm »

Pretty much. Also, why would you have to return containers? You can make new ones on the Moon.

You want to set up factories on the Moon...

If you honestly cannot see the gigantic problems with that concept, then we have nothing further to discuss.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: May 09, 2010, 03:23:20 am »

Please share insight as to the problems with setting up factories on the Moon? The lack of gravity might actually open up new possibilities for us.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: May 09, 2010, 03:29:08 am »

I guess the sheer difficulty of getting raw materials up there is one thing.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: May 09, 2010, 03:30:35 am »

Yeah, too bad there are no minerals on the moon. Or that we didn't shoot some with us in our shuttle container.
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Pillow_Killer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: May 09, 2010, 03:48:36 am »

You both fail. hard. We dont know about minerals on moon. Yes, we fucking dont. We never prospected.
Moon has no gravity? Seriously? You're stupid, F for "You failed life."
Quote from: x2yzh9
every man faps to every person he knows/likes. I've done that for about 2 girls that I've liked really, and it's because they have big boobs. 'Nuff said amirite?

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: May 09, 2010, 03:55:58 am »

Yes, because knowing about the moon is so important to life.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: May 09, 2010, 04:12:54 am »

Well, I am sorry for saying that getting fuel, metals, and all the bare necessities for sustaining life (food, water, OXYGEN) is gonna be a massive undertaking to even get funding. I mean, developing suitable spacecraft, not to mention a closed system that can feed people is quite daunting. Face it, even making routine supply routes to feed the people will be difficult.

(On people, I don't think we can truly make true automated factories. With our current tech level, there still needs to be a human element.)
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: May 09, 2010, 04:12:54 am »

Oh god, now you want to mine the moon? You have any idea how fucking expensive that would be? Clearly not, you just suggested it.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: May 09, 2010, 04:46:46 am »

I sense trolling in the form of one who murders pillows.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: May 09, 2010, 04:48:25 am »

You're the one who suggesting mining the moon would be a cost-effective solution to the problem of, well, mining the moon.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: May 09, 2010, 07:36:51 am »

Wasn't Bruce Lee the one who was asked by a student how he could make his kicks stronger and he got for an answer "kick harder"?
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #314 on: May 09, 2010, 11:14:27 am »

Oh god, now you want to mine the moon? You have any idea how fucking expensive that would be? Clearly not, you just suggested it.

It's not really that preposterous. Currently the engineering hasn't been done to support it, but it's well within the realms of scientifically 'possible', and at the very least, it would be an excellent place for a drop-off site for mines on Near-Earth Orbit objects.

Look up solar furnaces, ilmenite oxygen production, and vacuum refining. A critical part of most metal production is degassing low-quality metal slag to produce higher concentration ingots that will not burn or transition to other minerals. The moon and space in general provides an excellent place for this - vacuum degassing is expensive but effective, and in space it'd be extremely cheap. More, a solar furnace could take advantage of the vacuum's insulation properties - the only heat loss would be through the crucible into the ground, and from IR emission, which is minimal compared to what you get due to contact with air and other materials. The solution of -not- retrieving cargo containers sent to earth is also practical, particularly if those containers are composed of valuable materials themselves such as titanium. The escape velocity of the moon is low enough (roughly a fifth of earth's) that a mag-rail launch system is practical, especially for non-time-critical freight. It's also an excellent start for a larger facility. The first company or government that makes the investment of an automated production facility on the moon that is self-maintaining (something that is very possible with current science, mind you not current engineering) is going to have a lot of power and money once they cover the initial debt.

In short, don't be so damned quick to shoot down ideas based on "OMG SPACE IS BIG" without thinking about them first :P
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23