Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 23

Author Topic: Stephen Hawking is afraid of aliens  (Read 18821 times)

Creaca

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm Back.
    • View Profile
Re: Stephen Hawking is afraid of aliens
« Reply #225 on: May 07, 2010, 04:20:18 pm »

Earths minerals are not valuable. Billions of other planets have those, without the annoyance of trading, enslaving, or even talking to another species. Earth is a planet that sustains life. That's a valuable commodity in the Universe. If an aliens force comes to earth, and decides they want to colonize, it is very possible to have trillions of aliens escaping from overcrowding and low economic opportunity come to earth to find that. And we would be the 'ignorant' 'savage' species that was in the way.

If you're still not sure how this is going to turn out, ask the Native Americans. They know.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 04:24:47 pm by Creaca »

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: May 07, 2010, 04:27:02 pm »

Yes, slave rebellions never seem to work out by the slaves on their own, but that's the thing, the slaves are never on their own.
And who would these others be? Alien specie that's at war with our enslavers? Sure, they could arm us for rebellion, or they could just glass the whole planet to weaken the enemy's industrial base. Much easier than teaching monkeys how to use computers.

As for all insurrection stuff - just how would you do it? The enemy's homeworld is out of reach, and their war ships are in our orbit, where we can't do shit to them but they can kill us at their leisure. Best we could do is attack those that comply with aliens' demands, but then they'd just decide we need more examples because we're not meeting our quotas.

Also, I find the whole "but they have enough resources" argument naive. That's like saying they have enough dakka.

Other Aliens, or do you honestly believe that the entire species will be united under one single goal and never have any internal friction?

And that's the thing DJ; if they can cover the gulf of space in any reasonable fashion, they do have enough resources. Once you have a means of crossing interstellar space without expending ludicrous amounts of resources to do so you suddenly have access to an absolutely insane amount of raw materials and energy.

Earths minerals are not valuable. Billions of other planets have those, without the annoyance of trading, enslaving, or even talking to another species. Earth is a planet that sustains life. That's a valuable commodity in the Universe. If an aliens force comes to earth, and decides they want to colonize, it is very possible to have trillions of aliens escaping from overcrowding and low economic opportunity come to earth to find that. And we would be the 'ignorant' 'savage' species that was in the way.

If you're still not sure how this is going to turn out, ask the Native Americans. They know.

Maybe; we don't actually know how common Earth-Type planets are. They could be a dime a dozen.

Creaca

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm Back.
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: May 07, 2010, 04:40:41 pm »

Maybe; we don't actually know how common Earth-Type planets are. They could be a dime a dozen.

We can make an educated guess.

kuro_suna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: May 07, 2010, 04:45:28 pm »

Also if life isn't guaranteed to happen on a earth like planet they will probably prefer one without life so they can more easily create a ecosystem like their own and grow crops they can use.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: May 07, 2010, 04:57:08 pm »

Yeah, and that educated guess puts earth-type planets as surprisingly common.

Hell, even if they were suitably rare, say one per ten thousand stars (EDIT: This sounds really stupid without a clarified; clarifier i mean 1 per ten thousand sun type stars, although red-dwarf type stars would actually have better planets for advanced races, as bodies orbiting red dwarfs can exist in habitable conditions, but due to the turbulant nature of red dwarfs in their early years it is unlikely life would ever evolve on such plants by itself, leaving behind a perfectly habitable, but sterilized, planet. Red dwarfs also make up 70 - 90% of the stars in the galaxy, so yeah), there are enough stars in the galaxy that that still means millions of the damn things.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 05:02:57 pm by Neruz »

Creaca

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm Back.
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: May 07, 2010, 05:09:09 pm »

Hell, even if they were suitably rare, say one per ten thousand stars, there are enough stars in the galaxy that that still means millions of the damn things.
One of the cool things about a growing population is size alone doesn't make it slow it's grow. If there is room to expand, birthrates rocket up to accommodate. For instance, settlers in America had an average of 6-8 kids in the early years. The same is true in Africa today. Livable land will always be a valuable commodity.

In other words, lots of life-sustaining planets just means a bigger alien population, not a lot of unused habitable planets.
Also if life isn't guaranteed to happen on a earth like planet they will probably prefer one without life so they can more easily create a ecosystem like their own and grow crops they can use.
This is simple enough to remedy, alter the atmosphere artificially to what you need it to be, that'll kill off the majority of unwanted life. Some creatures will evolve to cope, the number depending on just how much the atmosphere changes. Then just begin ecosystem. Much easier then trying to say, start an ecosystem on Mars the same way.

Some things, like the Gravity of the planet would be much harder if impossible to alter.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: May 07, 2010, 05:15:43 pm »

Hell, even if they were suitably rare, say one per ten thousand stars, there are enough stars in the galaxy that that still means millions of the damn things.
One of the cool things about a growing population is size alone doesn't make it slow it's grow. If there is room to expand, birthrates rocket up to accommodate. For instance, settlers in America had an average of 6-8 kids in the early years. The same is true in Africa today. Livable land will always be a valuable commodity.

In other words, lots of life-sustaining planets just means a bigger alien population, not a lot of unused habitable planets.

And once again you show you literally have absolutely no conception of just how big the numbers we are talking about.

If we take Humans as an example, we could indeed colonize every habitable planet in the galaxy.

It would probably take us longer than the lifetime of the universe, but otherwise we could totally do it.

This is simple enough to remedy, alter the atmosphere artificially to what you need it to be, that'll kill off the majority of unwanted life. Some creatures will evolve to cope, the number depending on just how much the atmosphere changes. Then just begin ecosystem. Much easier then trying to say, start an ecosystem on Mars the same way.

Some things, like the Gravity of the planet would be much harder if impossible to alter.

That's a hell of a lot more expensive and time consuming than just travelling one or two star systems over and finding a useful uninhabited planet.

The Red Dwarf planets would be ideal; they're more common than dirt and will most likely be completely sterile, perfect for a bit of fungal seeding. That saves you all the time and effort of wiping out the native life when there is no native life.

Creaca

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm Back.
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: May 07, 2010, 06:54:11 pm »

And once again you show you literally have absolutely no conception of just how big the numbers we are talking about.

If we take Humans as an example, we could indeed colonize every habitable planet in the galaxy.

It would probably take us longer than the lifetime of the universe, but otherwise we could totally do it.

Since Humanity became seriously civilized, it's taken. Oh, let's be generous.  ten thousand years to get to the population we are at today? That isn't even a blip on the radar of the galaxy. Hell, that isn't even a blip for Earth. Considering Lifespans will continue to increase, deathrates will continue to get lower, if we brought 1 million people to a habitable planet, we'd be able to fill it in 4000 years. And thats if we magicly where able to do so today. That planet becomes a huge population center, people leave to new planets. Repeat as needed.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: May 07, 2010, 07:07:07 pm »

That would fill up planets pretty fast. But as Neruz said, you have no idea what a ridiculously huge number of available planets there are.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: May 07, 2010, 07:15:01 pm »

That would fill up planets pretty fast. But as Neruz said, you have no idea what a ridiculously huge number of available planets there are.

Once transporting large numbers of people to other planets becomes feasible though, I have this feeling that humanity will expand exponentially. This assumes there aren't any horrible disasters that wipe out most of the human population.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: May 07, 2010, 07:19:26 pm »

Look at it this way, there are several ways to wipe out massive amounts of people:

Star problems.

Nearby star problems.

Planet problems.

New diseases.

War.

Asteroids.

Comets.

And Black holes.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: May 07, 2010, 07:27:00 pm »

Since Humanity became seriously civilized, it's taken. Oh, let's be generous.  ten thousand years to get to the population we are at today? That isn't even a blip on the radar of the galaxy. Hell, that isn't even a blip for Earth. Considering Lifespans will continue to increase, deathrates will continue to get lower, if we brought 1 million people to a habitable planet, we'd be able to fill it in 4000 years. And thats if we magicly where able to do so today. That planet becomes a huge population center, people leave to new planets. Repeat as needed.

Once transporting large numbers of people to other planets becomes feasible though, I have this feeling that humanity will expand exponentially. This assumes there aren't any horrible disasters that wipe out most of the human population.

Like i said, you clearly have absolutely no idea just how many goddamn planets there are.

Look at it this way, there are several ways to wipe out massive amounts of people:

Star problems.

Nearby star problems.

Planet problems.

New diseases.

War.

Asteroids.

Comets.

And Black holes.

I think you just gave me a migraine, congratulations.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: May 07, 2010, 07:30:44 pm »

If I was ruler of a civilization that could feasibly travel between stars, I'd forget about planets all together.  Who needs those pesky gravity wells anyway?  We'll just build everything in space out of melted asteroids.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: May 07, 2010, 08:08:43 pm »

If I was ruler of a civilization that could feasibly travel between stars, I'd forget about planets all together.  Who needs those pesky gravity wells anyway?  We'll just build everything in space out of melted asteroids.
Funny, that's what that guy in the irc channel said 10 days ago. With the same words.

I still disagree, for the record. Being able to do that doesn't necessarily make it more practical

« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 08:10:47 pm by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: May 07, 2010, 08:12:06 pm »

Funny, that's what that guy in the irc channel said 10 days ago. With the same words.

I still disagree, for the record. Being able to do that doesn't necessarily make it more practical

Do you have any idea how much energy a handful of solar power stations in close orbit around a star would make?

No wait, stupid question, you ovbiously do not.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 23