Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 23

Author Topic: Stephen Hawking is afraid of aliens  (Read 18870 times)

kuro_suna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stephen Hawking is afraid of aliens
« Reply #135 on: May 01, 2010, 02:02:34 pm »

Even if silicon could produce more efficient neurons it won't make much of a difference since in the earths 4,500 million year history its only been in the last 50 million years that brains complex enough to take advantage of it have appeared. 

Mandaril

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 01, 2010, 02:07:57 pm »

You know, when/if aliens do arrive to our planet, I sure hope they are more intelligent and compassionate than an avarage human being ;)

I don't think we would want to meet a more advanced version of us. Who knows, maybe they would start a "human hunting" -hobby, or "human farming" (for our precious skins? :o).
Oddom Adagsibrek, war Mandrill (Tame)
"He is incredibly skinny yet gigantic overall. His hair is brown. His skin is cinnamon. His upper body bears a very short straight scar. His left front leg bears the marks of old wounds, including a tiny straight scar. His right front foot bears a very short straight scar. His throat bears a massive curving scar. His eyes are orange."

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 01, 2010, 02:24:01 pm »

its only been in the last 50 million years that brains complex enough to take advantage of it have appeared. 
Nervous systems are far older than that. IIRC flatworms are the most ancient beings to have those.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

kuro_suna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 01, 2010, 02:31:13 pm »

its only been in the last 50 million years that brains complex enough to take advantage of it have appeared. 
Nervous systems are far older than that. IIRC flatworms are the most ancient beings to have those.

But most animals don't invest very much energy or body mass to their nervous systems and wouldn't benefit much from a small increase in efficiency, its only mammals that actually spend more than one or two percent of their energy on brains.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 01, 2010, 06:39:21 pm »

And Mollusks. Never forget the Octopodes.

If you're proposing that the hypothetical silicon-based life was designed rather than evolved, then sure

That's not what I was proposing at all. That would be silly. I'm saying that with infinite time (which I assume there is) no probability is so small that it will never occur.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 01, 2010, 10:13:05 pm »

But, entropy!
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 01, 2010, 10:21:34 pm »

Well, there's that. Then again, when the heat is spread out, the matter will still be there. Eventually (once the universe stops expanding) everything will slowly gravitate together, and the heat could be drawn in with the matter (due to heat being a property of the matter). Once it's all crushed up together into a singularity, it eventually builds up enough pressure to explode, creating a new universe in which silicon life forms have yet another chance to evolve.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 01, 2010, 10:27:09 pm »

Well, there's that. Then again, when the heat is spread out, the matter will still be there. Eventually (once the universe stops expanding) everything will slowly gravitate together, and the heat could be drawn in with the matter (due to heat being a property of the matter). Once it's all crushed up together into a singularity, it eventually builds up enough pressure to explode, creating a new universe in which silicon life forms have yet another chance to evolve.

Actually, doesn't thermodynamics pretty much render a Big Crunch impossible?

kuro_suna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 01, 2010, 11:40:33 pm »

Actually, doesn't thermodynamics pretty much render a Big Crunch impossible?

If we ignore friction a pendulum could swing forever, I think the big bang to big crunch works the same.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 02, 2010, 05:14:43 am »

I think the current observations rule out the Big Crunch.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 02, 2010, 10:49:44 am »

-snip-
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 10:17:45 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 02, 2010, 06:27:02 pm »

It would be like a brain spontaneously coalescing in a solution of amino acids.
Cosmically, that's exactly what happened. It didn't take all that much time for a bunch of Amino acids to form a thinking brain.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 02, 2010, 06:36:42 pm »

It would be like a brain spontaneously coalescing in a solution of amino acids.
Cosmically, that's exactly what happened. It didn't take all that much time for a bunch of Amino acids to form a thinking brain.

Estimated at a billion years between the formation of surface water and the earliest functional microorganisms forming from lightning-generated proteins and protocells.  Even at a cosmic timescale, a billion years is not insignificant.  All the same, I don't know how all this theoretical physics got mixed into talking about life.

Returning to the original subject, that miniseries of interviews with Stephen Hawking starts airing tonight.  Anyone going to watch it?  I can't of course, because I happen to work during the good TV hours.  Balls.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 05, 2010, 12:05:33 pm »

Not to necro this, but The Onion chimed in on this. I lol'ed.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 05, 2010, 06:15:28 pm »

I feel we should be looking for other intelligent life. Like it or not we've been sending out signals for quite a while now. Not just radio and TV signals, but also surface nukes. (wars, tests) That's a big "there's something interesting here" sign right there, to anyone looking.

As far as the crunch/rip thing goes, depending on curvature of space we may get infinite expansion or an eventual collapse. A more definite certainty is the heat death of the universe, as eventually new star formation will cease.

Oh, and the proton may be unstable. :)
When a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, he is tired of life.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 23