Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 23

Author Topic: Stephen Hawking is afraid of aliens  (Read 18781 times)

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stephen Hawking is afraid of aliens
« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2010, 07:07:36 pm »

His mother.

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2010, 07:10:43 pm »

On the subject of extremely advanced and ancient aliens, Sci-Fi has these all over the place. They are generally called the Precursors, Old Ones, and various permutations on the same meaning. Star Trek has these highly advanced aliens all over the place, although they are usually non-corporeal, having transcended mortal forms or changed dimensions long ago.

Who knows, maybe WE humans are the first ones to develop sapience, so maybe we are the Progenitors. However, given the fact that some dinosaur species had evolved pretty high intelligence, on par with some of the more advanced mammals, so if they had survived, maybe they would have developed civilizaton a couple of million years before we would have.

Nah. Cold blood is terrible in organizing and effectively doing anything.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2010, 07:13:35 pm »

On the subject of extremely advanced and ancient aliens, Sci-Fi has these all over the place. They are generally called the Precursors, Old Ones, and various permutations on the same meaning. Star Trek has these highly advanced aliens all over the place, although they are usually non-corporeal, having transcended mortal forms or changed dimensions long ago.

Who knows, maybe WE humans are the first ones to develop sapience, so maybe we are the Progenitors. However, given the fact that some dinosaur species had evolved pretty high intelligence, on par with some of the more advanced mammals, so if they had survived, maybe they would have developed civilizaton a couple of million years before we would have.

Nah. Cold blood is terrible in organizing and effectively doing anything.

Er, Dinosaurs were warmblooded and there is no proof that cold blooded creatures are terrible in organizing and effectively doing anything since we only have one example to look at, Earth.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 26, 2010, 07:17:09 pm »

This makes no sense. In what way exactly is Earth worthy of exploitation?
Is there some unobtanium hidden underneath my house?
Carbon, hydrogen, oxygen, titanium, aluminum, silver, gold, the list goes on.

@recent posters: There were supposedly both warm blooded and cold blooded dinosaurs.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 26, 2010, 07:20:31 pm »

The whole rest of the universe is composed of exactly the same stuff.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 26, 2010, 07:23:45 pm »

@recent posters: There were supposedly both warm blooded and cold blooded dinosaurs.

Well, there were three main lineages, the Sauropods, the Orthinopods (Iguanadonts, Hadrosaurs, Ceratopsians, Anlylosaurs among others) and the Theropods (pratically all, if not 100%, of the meat eaters), so its plausible. The theropods (the group birds evolved from) were definetly warm blooded.

The whole rest of the universe is composed of exactly the same stuff.

Not to mention that any aliens would have an entire GALAXY to mess around in. Its not like there will be a sapient alien living around the corner from almost anywhere, which is what Star Trek seems to imply sometimes.

I'm not ruling out the possibility of there being two civilizations within a few hundred light years of each other, which can be considered the local neighborhood.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 26, 2010, 07:32:25 pm »

How many planets have water?  Our solar system is pretty hot in terms of resources, I think.  What with the gas giants, and the moons of the gas giants.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Pillow_Killer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 26, 2010, 07:37:23 pm »

How many planets have water?
a lot.
Quote from: x2yzh9
every man faps to every person he knows/likes. I've done that for about 2 girls that I've liked really, and it's because they have big boobs. 'Nuff said amirite?

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 26, 2010, 07:47:40 pm »

And, heck. We don't have any real proof that there has to be water or oxygen for life. After all, we are only one planet in the uncountable number of planets in the universe.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 26, 2010, 07:47:53 pm »

I could never accept aliens on earth. Sure, maybe I am a paranoid xenophobe, but its better to expect them to betray and obliterate/enslave us then be TOTALLY SURPRISED when/if they do.

Also, Warhammer 40000.

kuro_suna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 26, 2010, 07:59:49 pm »

How many planets have water?  Our solar system is pretty hot in terms of resources, I think.  What with the gas giants, and the moons of the gas giants.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water#Water_in_the_universe

Renault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 26, 2010, 08:04:00 pm »

You know, most of these posts are making the unlikely assumptions the aliens would be anything remotely similar to us; which is fairly unlikely. Its just as probable they wouldn't even recognize us as alive, or if they did, sentient. Our patterns and languages, our mathematics, might be as foreign to their brains as the pheremones of ants to ours. Theres no cosmic law dictating all life needs to be the format we see on earth.
And, on the off-chance they did realize we were creatures, it seems unlikely they'd view us as equals. Even assuming the most anthromorphic, Star-Trek aliens possible, if they could essentially defy physics and get to our planet in trips lasting less than millenia, they've got things going on we can't yet imagine. It would be like an astronaut arriving on Nepture, seeing a worm, and declaring he comes in peace and giving it a laptop computer.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 26, 2010, 08:07:52 pm »

Theres also the possibility that they have some form of a "Prime Directicve" to protect lower technology species from getting too messed up by contact.

Pathos

« Reply #58 on: April 26, 2010, 08:08:59 pm »

I could never accept aliens on earth. Sure, maybe I am a paranoid xenophobe, but its better to expect them to betray and obliterate/enslave us then be TOTALLY SURPRISED when/if they do.

Also, Warhammer 40000.

Uplift series. Aliens are trying to make a claim on us being subservient to them in order to justify conquering us to the galatic council.

They saw our planet and the ONLY reason that they didn't wipe us out was because we'd uplifted chimps and were in the process of uplifting dolphins. ( Uplifting is making them sentient and capable of interaction with others. )

kuro_suna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 26, 2010, 08:10:47 pm »

You know, most of these posts are making the unlikely assumptions the aliens would be anything remotely similar to us; which is fairly unlikely. Its just as probable they wouldn't even recognize us as alive, or if they did, sentient. Our patterns and languages, our mathematics, might be as foreign to their brains as the pheremones of ants to ours. Theres no cosmic law dictating all life needs to be the format we see on earth.

Anything regarding the consideration of extraterrestrial life is going to be wild speculation since we only have a statistical sample size of one to work with. We really have zero evidence for or against the universe being filled with bipedal carbon based life versus something so enigmatic we can't even begin to comprehend it.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 23