Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Love the Hospital!  (Read 8774 times)

Osdeath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Love the Hospital!
« Reply #60 on: July 13, 2010, 06:59:19 am »

I was not expecting to see each injured dwarf with a complete medical record, with date of procedure *and* name of clinician.  Cool stuff!

Where exactly is this information?

V the dwarf, go to their status screen, then health, then right 3 times to history.

Heavenfall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 13, 2010, 07:35:47 am »

I just had the strangest "bug". One of my dwarves had been diagnosed, and the diagnostician had decided that the dwarf needed - surgery - suture - setting - wound dressing - immobilization. All because he had damaged his sensory nerve, he had a compound fracture, and broken tissue.

Despite this, the dwarf was up and walking about - in fact, off-duty training in his barracks. I had to create a burrow in the hospital for that dwarf on a bed in order to jumpstart the healthcare process (which did work). The dwarf is now on the surgeon's table, getting the help he probably needed (lower right leg cut open and broken, lower left arm and left elbow broken).

Edit: Stranger and stranger. Since his WEAPON ARM is now in a splint, he can no longer train. Something he was well capable of, with his weapon arm severely damaged.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 07:49:01 am by Heavenfall »
Upon him I will visit famine and a fire, until all around him desolation rings
and all the demons in the outer dark look on amazed and recognize
that vengeance is the business of a dwarf

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 13, 2010, 08:24:04 am »

awesome dwarf fortress can now be used to reenact house episodes down to the letter... except without anything remotely like lupus

Osdeath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 13, 2010, 09:41:18 am »

I just had the strangest "bug". One of my dwarves had been diagnosed, and the diagnostician had decided that the dwarf needed - surgery - suture - setting - wound dressing - immobilization. All because he had damaged his sensory nerve, he had a compound fracture, and broken tissue.

Despite this, the dwarf was up and walking about - in fact, off-duty training in his barracks. I had to create a burrow in the hospital for that dwarf on a bed in order to jumpstart the healthcare process (which did work). The dwarf is now on the surgeon's table, getting the help he probably needed (lower right leg cut open and broken, lower left arm and left elbow broken).

Edit: Stranger and stranger. Since his WEAPON ARM is now in a splint, he can no longer train. Something he was well capable of, with his weapon arm severely damaged.

If a dwarf has "indefatigable" or some such in his status screen they tend to not care about being wounded, i for example have a dwarf with 8 yellow wounds walking about fine (He's actually my militia commander) they're all scars now, but i have one animal dissector in bed with a yellow scar wound, who's never gonna work again by the looks of things.

Personally I'm finding this a huge plus side, so I'm hunting down dwarves with such skills.

Heavenfall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 13, 2010, 10:03:53 am »

Will the wounds heal overtime, though?

Prepaid Lenin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 13, 2010, 10:04:33 am »

Heathcare is awesome... when it works.

I've got a legendary axedwarf who is just about to recover from 6 red wounds across the legs arms and ribs, and a yellow heart! It was one of those "Urist, if that bolt had been half an inch closer we wouldn't be talking right now" moments.

On the other hand I have an axedwarf who lost his arm at the shoulder and has completely ignored it. The worst that happened was a bad thought about sustaining minor injuries. ( :o) I guess he's just so hardcore. Since I can't retire people from the army I've given him an easy duty of gunning down the goblins that learn how to swim in the drowning trap with a legendary crossbow.

Osdeath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 13, 2010, 10:39:19 am »

Will the wounds heal overtime, though?

They appear to just scar over, they're still listed as yellow "wounds" in the basic wound menu, But they don't appear to be inhibiting him in any way, mine has had a splint on his lower left arm, I have not tested yet to see if he can hold a shield, but his splint is no longer on his arm, so one assumes so.

Heavenfall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 13, 2010, 11:06:14 am »

I've got a girl with a broken upper right leg, upper right arm broken, shoulder fracture, hip fracture, left upper leg fracture, left lower leg fractured. Refusing to visit the hospital, even with burrows.

It's reminding me of a bleach anime episode where a guy gets punched -through- the heart and shrugs it off in ten breaths.

NewsMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 14, 2010, 04:09:46 pm »

I like the hospital system currently in 31.10. In my opinion, the only flaw is that the injured dwarves won't got the the hospital beds. They just crawl their way to the beds in my dining hall. I currently have one injured dwarf out of 19. I breached the caverns before the first migrants. Elk birds and Giant bats.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 04:11:34 pm by NewsMuffin »

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 14, 2010, 05:48:18 pm »

Wow, necro.

Yeah, sorry about that, but i had to go for the Portal joke. No one found it funny, but i felt I had to try. The idea of a dwarven GlaDOS intrigues me.

So that's what a Hermit feels like...

Ok, this must be done. Fortress full of highly-abused Dwarven "Test Subject", with as much automation as possible.
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #70 on: July 14, 2010, 06:51:27 pm »

Will a mangled finger ever be treated?  I've tried the trick mentioned above in the thread, and confined the patient to a 3x3 area around the hospital bed, but nothing is happening.  I've got a good diagnostics Dwarf as Chief Medical Dwarf, and most of the required supplies.

Edit:  Next fortress, same problem.  Someone with a mangled toe isn't being treated.   >:(
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 02:28:53 pm by slink »
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]