Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Love the Hospital!  (Read 8781 times)

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
Re: Love the Hospital!
« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2010, 05:11:54 pm »

Hi!

As far as I know, old wounds can only be seen through the health status of the individual dwarf - so you either have to select the dwarf via the health status screen, via the unit screen, or via viewing her.

However, I just checked, and the combat logs are also included in the gamelog.txt file. So, if you searched for the attack damaging the lip in that txt file, you should be able to find the name of the dwarf.

As for the cat bringing the dead vermin, that means the patient is the cat's owner. Cats will bring dead vermin to either their owner and/or the correct refuse stockpile. So, having a stockpile accepting the remains should help at least a little bit. As for any problems for the patients' health, I have not had any problems with that, even though my hospital was already drowning in blood like the rest of the fortress when I had those patients lie a year there, waiting to be diagnosed.

On the other hand, people are telling horrible stories about dwarves dying from infections (^_^;;

Deathworks

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2010, 09:52:29 pm »

It's awesome. My herbalist got trolled while gathering berries, and got a string of red injuries. I was ecstatic when he was walking around with them bound.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 01, 2010, 01:14:59 am »

So wait, your patients are actually fully recovering?

I've never had a patient fully recover. Coming on 15 years now and my first injured dwarf still has yellow wounds on his leg and head and still has the sutures in (the bandages eventually fell off though). Everyone else is similar - they keep some of the dressings and never completely heal (even though the preferences screen lists scars instead of wounds now).

It's not a big deal for most dwarves since they still run around working and fighting and whatnot, but one of my dwarves thinks his foot is still smashed and he can't walk so he rests all day even though his preferences screen has listed the wound as a scar rather then an injury for a decade. Also the doctor never gave him crutches, I don't know why, he just lays there forever.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

tastypaste

• Bay Watcher
  • "It's delicious!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 01, 2010, 05:03:01 pm »

Almost all of my dwarfs who have been in the hospital have fully recovered. Two have been there for three years, resting. Everyone else has healed and gone back to work.
Denethor cancels stewardship:  Went Insane.
Denethor went berserk!

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 20, 2010, 01:02:05 am »

Urist McSurgeon: Oh look, there seems to be rotting on this brain! Best to amputate...

Giant desert scorpion stings cause necrosis of the brain and nervous system. I'd be amused to see what sort of surgery would be prescribed for that...

Its the closest thing to a neurotoxin that we have, and it kills within hours in adventure mode in the arena. Without an antidote, even a megabeast who gets injected with it is going to be dead soon.

I had to forbid Giant Scorpion stings after Urist McGlaDOS flooded the fort with a deadly neurotoxin, to prevent her from flooding the fortress with a deadly neurotoxin.
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 20, 2010, 02:48:15 am »

Wow, necro.

Bronze Dog

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 20, 2010, 02:25:01 pm »

Might as well take advantage of it. (Oh, and M*A*S*H nicknames win the thread.)

Read various mentions of modded doctor training workshops, including one here. How exactly do they work out? Using corpses as raw materials to practice surgery?

Of course, I assume some less ambitious models just use the skill to turn a blank input into a blank output or something like that.
Bronze Dog has been feeling rather happy lately. He is fond of scimitars, black bronze, turquoise, and kobolds for their underdog status.

Heavenfall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 20, 2010, 07:41:36 pm »

All my guys who were taken to the hospital fully recovered (except a couple of fingers/toes that stay red forevva), even with no soap.

But when they all got dragged in there after the latest ambush, it wasn't really a case of "all doctors to the OR". Rather, the 6 or so doctors (I had noone with even minor skill, so I let em all in) would just casually wander in and bandage things. Seems like what the wounded did most in the hospital, including the time when they were really wounded, was laying in the bed someone dragged them to.

Still, it was amazing to see a guy with red upper left leg, lower left leg, left lung, one hand, and one hand brown, recover almost completely.

Apparently, yellow damage is just minor now, so once they were all down to yellow, even with red fingers/toes, they were all dancing around the barracks again.
Oh, those colours are with mayday. No idea what colour they would be in normal colours.txt,
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 07:43:24 pm by Heavenfall »
Upon him I will visit famine and a fire, until all around him desolation rings
and all the demons in the outer dark look on amazed and recognize
that vengeance is the business of a dwarf

afoninv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 20, 2010, 07:52:12 pm »

Read various mentions of modded doctor training workshops, including one here. How exactly do they work out? Using corpses as raw materials to practice surgery?

Of course, I assume some less ambitious models just use the skill to turn a blank input into a blank output or something like that.

Well, for example Deon's fantastic Genesis mod which, above all other great features, has a special Anathomical Theater building. There it takes a thread to train suturing, a cloth to train wound dressing or bone setting, a crutch to train crutchwalking, or a large dagger to train surgery (reagents preserved).
-
V.

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 22, 2010, 02:28:52 am »

Wow, necro.

Yeah, sorry about that, but i had to go for the Portal joke. No one found it funny, but i felt I had to try. The idea of a dwarven GlaDOS intrigues me.
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

Urist McOverlord

• Bay Watcher
  • [Evil_Genius]
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 22, 2010, 04:32:53 pm »

Yeah, sorry about that, but i had to go for the Portal joke. No one found it funny, but i felt I had to try. The idea of a dwarven GlaDOS intrigues me.

I laughed.
Magma: The cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.

If it moves, it wants to kill you. It may not try to, but it wants to.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 23, 2010, 07:22:39 am »

I laughed.
The *Dwarven Sugar Roast* is a lie.

Daetrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 23, 2010, 02:26:53 pm »

"We've both said a lot of things you're going to regret. But I think we can put our differences behind us. For science. You monster."

That actually sounds like something a player might say to a useless noble. Or an elf.
All you need to know about Ardentdikes
It is really, really easy to flood this place with magma fwiw.

Doors stop fire, right?

Richards

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 13, 2010, 05:58:20 am »

I was not expecting to see each injured dwarf with a complete medical record, with date of procedure *and* name of clinician.  Cool stuff!

Where exactly is this information?

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 13, 2010, 06:11:55 am »

I really like the health system at the moment, but the gypsum plaster bug annoys me to no end.

Also the thing where a dwarf with 4 compound fractures will get up and walk around as if nothing's wrong, too.

Once those are fixed, it will be incredible.
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5