Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Love the Hospital!  (Read 8788 times)

Ubern00b

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Love the Hospital!
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2010, 06:19:22 am »

I gave one of my starting Seven 10 points spread across all the medical disciplines, weighted toward diagnosis and wound dressing.  From what I've read, other players' doctors have a bad habit of sitting around twiddling their thumbs instead of actually helping their patients.  I think this *might* be from misdiagnosis.  My chief med dwarf wastes no time in diagnosing patients and cleaning their wounds.  Then he moves on to the next patient while other medical dwarves get to work on stitching them up and setting bones.  Oh, and don't worry about plaster.  My hospital has dealt with broken bones with just splints.

I'll just say this was my hunch to, but alas I havent had a chance to test it yet. Everyone is either healthy or dead. No inbetween
Quote from: Canuhearme(Facepunch Studios)
Isn't Dwarf Fortress just a game of delayed free-fall into a hideously painful and frighteningly horrific death?

Akjosch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2010, 06:49:33 am »

Good to know I'm not the only one with a couple "Urist McCoy"s floating around.

Actually, mine are typically named McHawkeye, McTrapper, McHunnicutt, McBurns and McWinchesterTheThird ...

Thelogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2010, 10:16:02 am »

I always name my best diagnoser Dr. Gregory House, Master Diagnoser.

And then I name my best surgeon, wound dresser, suturer, bone doctor and all that after either House Characters or Trauma Center character.

TigerPlushie

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_DRAMA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2010, 10:31:44 am »

And then I name my best surgeon, wound dresser, suturer, bone doctor and all that after either House Characters or Trauma Center character.

It's not lupus, apply suturing, then magma.
Dwarf cancelled making adamantium short sword: Strange mood.
Dwarf has entered a marital trance!
Dwarf has claimed a bedroom.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2010, 10:37:12 am »

Carving a star on people, zapping aliens from the sick to suggesting illnesses that aren't correct to Greg Mchouse now with beards and booze.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2010, 11:16:57 am »

Actually, mine are typically named McHawkeye, McTrapper, McHunnicutt, McBurns and McWinchesterTheThird ...

You're kind of my hero
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2010, 11:22:41 am »

Hi!

Out of the four patients I have had, only one required traction bench treatment, and that was one of the two dwarves who died (the other got killed by the late hospital designation).

I noticed another thing, though, successfully treated wounds do not seem to leave any scars: One of the patients has no scars at all, and the dwarf who had a broken knee has scars all over his body, but NOT on his knee.

To add insult to injury, since my chief medical dwarf didn't care to even diagnose my patients, I activated health care labors on some UNSKILLED dwarves, and my sheriff/broker did a fine job on patching the two patients up.

I guess, "chief medical dwarf" means "this is the one dwarf who will NEVER treat a patient". Or maybe the greedy %$&^%$& only treats patients who pay cash?

Deathworks

P.S.: I don't rename my dwarves.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2010, 11:25:00 am »

I usually don't either, I just though the M*A*S*H names were brilliant.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2010, 12:18:31 pm »

My chief medical officer has treated patients a few times, but he's definitely more keen to diagnose patients.  Also, it seems like only the worst wounds leave a *tiny* scar. 

Guilliman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2010, 12:29:15 pm »

My chief medical dwarf is always a dwarf who is miserable, doesnt like anyone and some other stuff. I always name him HOUSE and give him an office + backoffice with tables, bed etc that resemble the offices in the series.

I think my next fortress I will have the full team based on their personality too!

Urist McOverlord

• Bay Watcher
  • [Evil_Genius]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2010, 12:56:28 pm »

You, sir, are now my hero. And your idea has been totally ripped off.
Magma: The cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.

If it moves, it wants to kill you. It may not try to, but it wants to.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2010, 01:08:06 pm »

Hi!

Well, the grey section in the description on my patient with the broken knee looks like this:

His upper body bears the marks of numerous old wounds, the chief among them a very short curving scar. His lower body bears the marks of old wounds, including a very short straight scar. His right upper arm bears a very short curving scar. His left upper arm bears the marks of old wounds, including a very short curving scar. His left foot bears a very short curving scar.

So, I guess you are better off if you have wounds that need medical attention :)
Actually, besides the knee, he also had a cyan lung and was bleeding extremely in the beginning. But by the time he got rescued, the lung had recovered and the bleeding had ended (much to my surprise, as I had given up hope on him).

Deathworks

tastypaste

• Bay Watcher
  • "It's delicious!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2010, 04:00:45 pm »

Is there a way to see former patients who were treated in a hospital? One of my dwarfs had his upper lip cut off and I want to see what his description is like now. Can't remember his name and he's not in the hospital anymore. Somewhere in my fort is a dwarf with no upper lip and really want to find him.
Denethor cancels stewardship:  Went Insane.
Denethor went berserk!

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2010, 04:39:21 pm »

Is there a way to see former patients who were treated in a hospital? One of my dwarfs had his upper lip cut off and I want to see what his description is like now. Can't remember his name and he's not in the hospital anymore. Somewhere in my fort is a dwarf with no upper lip and really want to find him.

Maybe health section of the z menu?
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.

tastypaste

• Bay Watcher
  • "It's delicious!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2010, 05:04:58 pm »

Maybe health section of the z menu?

Nothing in there that I can see about old wounds that are healed already.

On a semi-related note I noticed while playing around with the hospital just now that a cat in my fort keeps bringing dead vermin and dropping their corpses all around the patients resting. That can't be sanitary.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Denethor cancels stewardship:  Went Insane.
Denethor went berserk!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5