Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Love the Hospital!  (Read 8792 times)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Love the Hospital!
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2010, 07:09:18 pm »

Thanks to the tips from you all, I made sure to set restricted pathways to the hospital, which definitely helped with non-patients sleeping in the beds.  I also gave the hospital a dedicated well, free of all the blood and grime from the communal one.  No infections for my dwarves, as the wounds all get a good scrubbing upon arrival.  Also, no soap necessary with clean well water.  Anyway, I was totally surprised by how extensive the hospital system is!  The diagnosis and treatment plans are awesome.  I was not expecting to see each injured dwarf with a complete medical record, with date of procedure *and* name of clinician.  Cool stuff!

You'll even see what type of thread was used in sutures. I've had at least one dwarf sewn up with adamantine.

h3lblad3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2010, 07:21:18 pm »

Ulrist McGrey and Tor McHouse running around desperately tending to the wounded.

Tor McHouse running around desperately tending to the wounded.

Tor McHouse running around desperately.

McHouse running around.

House running

O_O
I was talking about importing alimunim.
And we were hypothesising about the sexual relations between elves and trees.

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2010, 07:33:39 pm »

I'm very fond of the Hospital System as well. I've dug out a large, grandiose area for that purpose, though I'm still furnishing it, and after the culling of 509 I didn't have the dwarf power to do much beyond finish cleaning up the bodies.

And I've found my sig of the week.
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2010, 07:37:28 pm »

Urist McSurgeon: Oh look, there seems to be rotting on this brain! Best to amputate...

caranha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2010, 09:08:30 pm »

(btw, am I the only one that names one doctor "House" and makes him chief medial dward?)  :D

How about naming your Doc McCoy and your Expedition Leader James?

"He is melted, Jim."
"Dammit Jim, I'm a Diagnoser, not a Gem Cutter!"

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2010, 09:15:56 pm »

Urist McSurgeon: Oh look, there seems to be rotting on this brain! Best to amputate...

Giant desert scorpion stings cause necrosis of the brain and nervous system. I'd be amused to see what sort of surgery would be prescribed for that...
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2010, 09:19:15 pm »

What I meant with the culling was that Goblins attacked multiple times.http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=15096.msg1198261#msg1198261 For full details.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2010, 09:20:00 pm »

Giant desert scorpion stings cause necrosis of the brain and nervous system. I'd be amused to see what sort of surgery would be prescribed for that...

Its the closest thing to a neurotoxin that we have, and it kills within hours in adventure mode in the arena. Without an antidote, even a megabeast who gets injected with it is going to be dead soon.

Yobgod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2010, 08:06:57 pm »

(btw, am I the only one that names one doctor "House" and makes him chief medial dward?)  :D

I'm sure you're not alone. Personally I prefer "Kelso"...

"Here's a riddle, what's got two thumbs and doesn't give a damn?" *points thumbs at chest* "Bob Kelso."

Marconius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2010, 09:24:42 pm »

The hospital system seems awesome, though still a bit buggy... My dwarves refuse to haul stuff to the place... sometimes. Not always, just sometimes. Maybe I need more coffers, hmmm...

On the other hand, only dogs and cats have actually sustained injuries in my current fortress so far, so that's cool... oh, and an Elf. Got eaten by a megabeast by drowning...

By the way, when did dwarves stop entombing animals and friendlies? They're kinda rotting in my garbage pile now...

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2010, 09:34:04 pm »

Hi!

(T_T)
I already mentioned on other occasions how awesome the hospital system is.
After losing one dwarf in my current fortress to the traction bench (and in a previous one, one dwarf because I created the hospital while she was already wounded), I had two dwarves with nasty wounds and they fully recovered (although they waited for a year before treatment began). Interestingly enough, even though they had broken bones, which stayed broken until treatment began, they seem to have healed completely the moment treatment was finished. It seems that once treatment is finished, the year they already rested gets counted towards their recovery.
Because, I was looking forward to see how the crutches work, so I checked on the dwarves when I saw they weren't resting anymore - and found them completely healed where there had been a red wound a short while ago. Only one of the two needed cleaning, though.

My approach to cleaning is not a dedicated well (I haven't had the spare dwarves to engage in that yet), but rather produce only as much soap as the hospital claims. As long as you do that, the soap will work properly and without any problems at all - no unnecessary error messages, no unnecessary hauling around, and it will be used in cleaning the patients. (However, directly after cleaning a patient, the soap bar will still be existent and may trigger one or two error messages before the hospital speaks up and says "Hey! That's mine!")

Marconius: Friendlies always went to the graveyard as far as I remember (save maybe dwarves, I am not sure about that). Only pets claimed by a dwarf would be buried, so stray animals, war/hunting animals, and any cats will not be buried. This has been around also for a long time.

Deathworks

Mercanthyr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2010, 11:09:26 pm »

While the bugs with the traction bench stand, is it better for your dwarf's safety to build a traction bench in case the doctor might be able to fix something with it, or is it safer to actually avoid building a traction bench?

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2010, 11:40:48 pm »

I don't think I have ever seen a traction bench used.  I mostly just see people lay in bed, or rot and die in my dining room, or go about there business with horrible injuries. 
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2010, 11:56:07 pm »

I haven't got to use it yet. Either my dorfs get covered in bruises and heal on their own, or die. Really shouldn't have embarked with a doctor.
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.

Urist McOverlord

• Bay Watcher
  • [Evil_Genius]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2010, 12:03:45 am »

How about naming your Doc McCoy and your Expedition Leader James?

"He is melted, Jim."
"Dammit Jim, I'm a Diagnoser, not a Gem Cutter!"

Good to know I'm not the only one with a couple "Urist McCoy"s floating around.
Magma: The cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.

If it moves, it wants to kill you. It may not try to, but it wants to.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5