Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Love the Hospital!  (Read 8784 times)

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Love the Hospital!
« on: April 26, 2010, 11:51:52 am »

Thanks to the tips from you all, I made sure to set restricted pathways to the hospital, which definitely helped with non-patients sleeping in the beds.  I also gave the hospital a dedicated well, free of all the blood and grime from the communal one.  No infections for my dwarves, as the wounds all get a good scrubbing upon arrival.  Also, no soap necessary with clean well water.  Anyway, I was totally surprised by how extensive the hospital system is!  The diagnosis and treatment plans are awesome.  I was not expecting to see each injured dwarf with a complete medical record, with date of procedure *and* name of clinician.  Cool stuff!

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
Re: Love the Hospital!
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 12:11:07 pm »

I think this may be one of the first compliments the DF medical system has ever gotten.
くコ:彡

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 12:41:37 pm »

HEY! I too, like new health system very, very much!

It is just that I find watching my dorfs die horibly because of eye infection eating them alive much more amusing.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Dave Mongoose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 12:42:18 pm »

I think this may be one of the first compliments the DF medical system has ever gotten.

I think once it runs smoothly, it will be awesome. It adds a lot of character to long-serving dwarves - when they're scarred or missing limbs but still doing their part for the fortress. I can't wait to have a dwarf reach 'legendary crutch walker', lol.

Duane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010, 12:52:48 pm »

It's not *extremely* bugged, just hard. Setting everything up just right is damn ridiculous.
Same with the military, I guess.

Erotic Bootlace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2010, 01:02:43 pm »

The hospital is fantastic, and much better than the old system. I've yet to get a hospital properly working, but the potential is epic. I can just imagine that after a cave in or ambush it suddenly becoming full of wounded, with Ulrist McGrey and Tor McHouse running around desperately tending to the wounded. I intend on having my defensive traps 'accidentally' go off when migrants arive just to spark such incidents and get the doctors trained to a high standard.

I also think that it's very appropriate for the hospital to be a zone rather than designated from a room; means that you can quickly and easily set your communal bedrooms as hospitals in the event of mass casulaties. It kind of reminds me of those war movies where you see houses requisitioned into hospitals, staffed by a few desperate doctors and nurses after (or during) a big battle.
intPostCount = intPostCount + 1

ReverseWill

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs cigarettes to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2010, 01:06:40 pm »

I haven't gotten to play with the hospital too much. Either I have doctors and no supplies, supplies and no doctors, or both and no injuries during a time where they would be treatable.
Just because that tamed alligator killed someone earlier doesn't mean it wouldn't make a great pet now.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2010, 01:34:20 pm »

I gave one of my starting Seven 10 points spread across all the medical disciplines, weighted toward diagnosis and wound dressing.  From what I've read, other players' doctors have a bad habit of sitting around twiddling their thumbs instead of actually helping their patients.  I think this *might* be from misdiagnosis.  My chief med dwarf wastes no time in diagnosing patients and cleaning their wounds.  Then he moves on to the next patient while other medical dwarves get to work on stitching them up and setting bones.  Oh, and don't worry about plaster.  My hospital has dealt with broken bones with just splints.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2010, 01:53:17 pm »

I'm very fond of the Hospital System as well. I've dug out a large, grandiose area for that purpose, though I'm still furnishing it, and after the culling of 509 I didn't have the dwarf power to do much beyond finish cleaning up the bodies.

Right now though things are getting more complicated, I've got food stores, and eventually I intend to have a well, although I have only a murky pool for water, so that will be difficult.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2010, 02:03:27 pm »

Make that well a priority!  Lots of people have mentioned dwarves getting infections from things as small as finger cuts.  I've had all kinds of gruesome injuries, and as long as they're not dead on arrival, the hospital gets them back into shape without complications.  Or I could be amazingly lucky.  I'd like to think it's that pristine well, though ;).

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2010, 04:50:55 pm »

I would really like too, it rains an awful lot on my map, It's just that Dwarven made cisterns don't hold rainwater. it makes me sad. it means I have to slowly channel square by square to keep it at useable levels.

*Mayor facepalms*

Stik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2010, 05:00:59 pm »

All i did was channel a big hole beside a murkey pool and 4 levels down i started a square 3x4 and then i channelled the whole thing doewn, made a wall with the dirt that i mined and made a whole bunch of stairs to the surface then channelled the 1 tile between the hole and the murky pool metal is so easily obtained i quickly made a path and a well ontop, a well if reccomended IMO.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2010, 05:46:08 pm »

My only concern is that I have ONLY one. as far as I have seen. It'd mean that they'd just end up mucking up the medical well methinks.

*Mayor facepalms*

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2010, 05:49:16 pm »

I have 2-3 dwarves dedicated entirely to healthcare. They do no hauling, not even cleaning, and do all healthcare tasks. This ensures that there is always a dwarf on duty to tend to the wounded.

They patch up the dwarves quiet well. Sadly, they could not cure the case of Urist McHouse, who was stuck in the upper leg by a poison dart from an antman, and now hobbles around my fortress slowly and clumsily. He's also always drowsy and dizzy.

Guilliman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2010, 05:54:50 pm »

I build a custom workshop to train hospital skills

Asigning the shop and having my HOUSE train on it until legendary = win!

(btw, am I the only one that names one doctor "House" and makes him chief medial dward?)  :D
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5