Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: US launches 1st military space drone  (Read 3359 times)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: US launches 1st military space drone
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2010, 02:16:41 pm »

Besides, there are far more cost-efficient ways to get payloads into space than developing a reusable robotic drone.

No... That's exactly the most cost efficient way, if you want to have any control over where the cargo ends up after it leaves the launchpad.

This whole conversation is remarkably silly.  A recoverable vehicle was launched that can carry a payload around?  Yeah, the Space Shuttle was doing that for years.  Anything can be a weapons-platform in space, because you could mount a blinder-laser or micro missile on anything you put up there.  Or even just put some unusually large maneuvering thrusters on a satellite and have it crash into another one.

Besides, as the Chinese have so aptly demonstrated, those camera-blinding lasers already work just fine when they're on the ground, probably better since that's where the camera is usually pointing.  You want to talk about cost efficiency, ask why you would bother putting weapons in space at all, when we're more than capable of destroying anything in orbit with ground-based weapons in the first place.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2010, 03:04:37 pm »

One of the national newspapers here had an article on the US's plans to develop conventional (that is non-nuclear) ICBM's to strike at targets of oppertunity within a realy short time (Like hitting a nuke while it's being hauled to the launch pad). Russia and China made a big fuzz about it because they won't be able to tell the difference beteen a nuclear payload and a conventional one. Anyway, this military space drone could be part of that project.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2010, 04:06:44 pm »

http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/2010/0423/Shhhh%21-Air-Force-launches-top-secret-X-37B-robot-space-plane

So...yeah. The X-37B. Bastard child of a Predator drone and the Space Shuttle. So far, more of a proof-of-concept than anything, but it's a paradigm shift in US policy towards space weaponization. And it means that the "PEW PEW LASERZ!" crowd over at the Air Force are winning out over...well, EVERYONE else in the US military and intelligence communities, who are unequivacably opposed to weaponizing space.

Discuss.

Conclusions, you jump to them. Why couldn't the Air Force just be using it for what they said: unmanned cargo transport?

That's like asking why couldn't Iran just be pursuing a peaceful nuclear energy program.
Besides, there are far more cost-efficient ways to get payloads into space than developing a reusable robotic drone.

Because there are tangible reasons to think Iran is pursuing nuclear weapons (the fact that they're enriching uranium beyond 20%, for instance). On the other hand, there's no evidence that the Air Force has put weapons on, or plans to put weapons on, the X-37.

Other than 20+ years of Air Force papers touting the importance of space superiority and global strike capability?

http://www.fas.org/spp/eprint/occppr06.htm
http://www.fas.org/spp/eprint/98-170.pdf
http://www.allacademic.com//meta/p_mla_apa_research_citation/3/1/3/2/4/pages313244/p313244-1.php

Just for starters.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Pwnzerfaust

• Bay Watcher
  • It's evolution, baby!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2010, 04:27:07 pm »

http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/2010/0423/Shhhh%21-Air-Force-launches-top-secret-X-37B-robot-space-plane

So...yeah. The X-37B. Bastard child of a Predator drone and the Space Shuttle. So far, more of a proof-of-concept than anything, but it's a paradigm shift in US policy towards space weaponization. And it means that the "PEW PEW LASERZ!" crowd over at the Air Force are winning out over...well, EVERYONE else in the US military and intelligence communities, who are unequivacably opposed to weaponizing space.

Discuss.

Conclusions, you jump to them. Why couldn't the Air Force just be using it for what they said: unmanned cargo transport?

That's like asking why couldn't Iran just be pursuing a peaceful nuclear energy program.

Because there are tangible reasons to think Iran is pursuing nuclear weapons (the fact that they're enriching uranium beyond 20%, for instance). On the other hand, there's no evidence that the Air Force has put weapons on, or plans to put weapons on, the X-37.

Other than 20+ years of Air Force papers touting the importance of space superiority and global strike capability?

http://www.fas.org/spp/eprint/occppr06.htm
http://www.fas.org/spp/eprint/98-170.pdf
http://www.allacademic.com//meta/p_mla_apa_research_citation/3/1/3/2/4/pages313244/p313244-1.php

Just for starters.

Treatises on the future of warfare on space? Wowzers, that's convincing. Except not really. Those are essays about potential future scenarios and plans. Concrete evidence that they're sticking weapons on the X-37 would be preferable.
Give an elf a fire and he's warm for a night. Drop an elf in magma and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2010, 04:41:25 pm »

Treatises on the future of warfare on space? Wowzers, that's convincing. Except not really. Those are essays about potential future scenarios and plans. Concrete evidence that they're sticking weapons on the X-37 would be preferable.

If they're not putting weapons on it, you can probably thank somebody outside the Air Force for that.  They have an unmatched and undying hardon for expensive, dangerous hardware that nobody needs.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2010, 08:55:06 pm »

Yea, the Air Force tends to have a hard on to have toys for a war they'll never fight. The Raptor is a great example. Its designed to out rival Chinese, and other misc. south east asian threats for the next 20 years, that will probably never happen. The F-16, F-14, and A-10 ect... are still quite competitive if not superior for that area.

As for this being the first Military satellite, that seems kinda of silly. The Transit sats were dev. by the Navy in the 60's. So there been military satellites as long as there been ability to do so.

Overall, I think its far more practical to have anti orbital weaponry ground base then to have float in the sky. The US and China have proved to have the ability to take out Satellites from ground anyhow.

Even if this became a weaponized platform, I don't think it would start a space arms race. Simply due to inability for most countries to do so.  India, Japan and China may be able to, though we have an install base to launch, maintain assests in orbit already. So they'll be starting with the Atari 2600 where as we have PS2s.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2010, 09:05:01 pm »

Weapons in space?
Blasphemy!

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2010, 11:40:48 pm »

I don't see why the Air Force really needs a robotic space drone, unless this is the fall back option for satellite delivery once the Space Shuttles is retired for good, and Russia starts charging too much. A weapons platform in space just doesn't make sense. It's too vulnerable, too exposed. Blinding lasers can make them simply useless, a stray bit of rock utterly smash them, man made debris turn them into swiss cheese when they're needed, and so on.

They'd be worse than useless, they'd be a hazard to their owner, especially in peace time where other nations are encourage to weaponize space themselves to be competitive strategically. Do you really want communist space nukes looking down at you all the time?
!!&!!

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2010, 11:45:41 pm »

I'm surprised no one has brought up Reagan and his Star Wars debacle.

PEW PEW PEW

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2010, 12:30:17 am »

Imagine the power to drop a crowbar from space on to anywhere on the planet. Wreck a tank or obliterate an enemy commander... It is the perfect weapon system, capable of absolutely discriminatory payload delivery with no risk to material and no effective defense short of living in a mine shaft. You just need someone responsible and sane to control this system.

I nominate me.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2010, 12:35:36 am »

I read an article earlier this year for my Game Theory class that basically claimed that world peace is most stable when EVERY MAJOR POWER has nuclear weapons, and modern enough ones to hit any target on the globe.

Sounded like bull at first, but when I finished it, it kind of made sense. Essentially, if anyone attacks another country, they know that they're going to get simultaneously with ICBMs from a dozen different countries. Of course, they essentially LOSE if they get hit, even if they hit the intended target.

The idea is that no one can defend against nuclear attacks, but they can still retaliate. When playing with rational, self-preserving entities, no one will fire missiles except in a last-ditch "FU" counterattack.

(Only problem is, it may or may not work when dealing with insane North Korean rulers or suicidal Jihad-warriors.)
Imagine the power to drop a crowbar from space on to anywhere on the planet. Wreck a tank or obliterate an enemy commander... It is the perfect weapon system, capable of absolutely discriminatory payload delivery with no risk to material and no effective defense short of living in a mine shaft. You just need someone responsible and sane to control this system.

I nominate me.

No. Bad. Fail. It would burn up in the atmosphere, just like anything smaller than a large meteorite.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2010, 12:42:24 am »

The Europeans had devised a system by which, if any country decided to attack any other country they would all lose, that seems roughly the same as what that game theory class proposed. It went marvelously well, actually. Right up until it caused World War I.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2010, 12:45:30 am »

I think that we should make a Nuclear Doomsday Device like in Dr. Strangelove, then procrastinate on announcing it.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2010, 12:57:08 am »

Mutually Assured Destruction.
Keeping the peace since since 1945.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2010, 06:12:34 am »

Actually, I'm pretty sure the Soviets didn't have the bomb (or at least didn't test one, thus announcing it to the world) until ~1949.
Pages: 1 [2] 3