Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Magma Drill  (Read 4809 times)

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Magma Drill
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2010, 01:47:25 am »

A giant multi-story screwpump makes sense, but a vertical one really doesn't. I'm pretty sure you can't really make one of those beyond a certain angle, at least not effectively.

Of course, at that size, you might also need manufacturing capabilities/materials that the dwarves wouldn't have, considering how much torque you'd need to apply to that thing, and how long it is.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2010, 08:24:31 am »

The Principles of Dwarven Physics:
Emc2
WinWout
Fma

Quote from: Retro
Dwarven economics are still in the experimental stages. The humans have told them that they need to throw a lot of money around to get things going, but every time the dwarves try all they just end up with a bunch of coins lying all over the place.

The EPIC Dwarven Drinking Song of Many Names

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about logic/computing; I'm majoring in the topic.

GRead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2010, 08:43:06 am »

Wouldn't it be easier to make pipes buildable and just pipe the magma up?

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2010, 11:47:42 am »

Easier?  Yes.
More FUN?  No.

Besides, in the real world, pipes only work when pressurized.  Although, that could be how they work: they could act as a conduit for water to "teleport" through.  The only advantage here would be that it takes up less space, but if a buildingdestroyer came along...  It could act as a trap!
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 11:53:34 am by Arkenstone »

Dwarven economics are still in the experimental stages. The humans have told them that they need to throw a lot of money around to get things going, but every time the dwarves try all they just end up with a bunch of coins lying all over the place.

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about logic/computing; I'm majoring in the topic.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2010, 02:16:06 pm »

Yeah, pipes aren't magical make-liquids-travel-upwards anti-gravity devices. You still need a way to pump the stuff upwards, and I have no idea what would work there.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Alu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2010, 12:41:24 pm »

Ok some want to stick with the pump stack, because they find it more challenging and realistic.
I srsly understand your point, but maybe we can find a good solution.
How about a drill machine, that drills through 10 floors max and can only made with Adamantine or Platinum?
Plus its made of two components, the drill part and the machine part
Maybe like this
Code: [Select]
ooxxoo
oolloo
oolloo
oolloo
oolloo
oolloo
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 12:43:29 pm by Alu »
"He admired a wonderful Trap lately"

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2010, 04:34:22 pm »

How about a drill machine, that drills through 10 floors max and can only made with Adamantine or Platinum?

...Platinum?

Alu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2010, 04:42:46 pm »

...Platinum?

Is Steel harder to get? never tried this one until now.
If not, then adamantine only.

ps. is there a reason for not having Mithril?
"He admired a wonderful Trap lately"

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2010, 04:45:48 pm »

I remember hearing something about Toady worrying about getting sued if he used Mithril, so he went with adamantine. Not quite sure if memory serves there.
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

j0nas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2010, 05:19:34 pm »

I would like to agree with the suggestion to just use pipes.  We already have them, lets make them buildable and have them extend the pumping suction of the pump downwards through the z-levels, or even down then sideways along the x and y.

While we're at it, why not just make (pressurized) fluids flow through them in every way, by basically letting a square with a built pipe have a second, hidden fluid value.  This allows for a pipe running through the main, dry fortress, to refill the reservoir from the river, for example.  Since such pipes have set entries and exits, perhaps the fluid mechanics through them could be simplified to lessen CPU load.  Also, since such built pipes could be destroyed by tantruming dwarves, there's fun to be had for everyone!
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 05:22:36 pm by j0nas »

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2010, 07:04:33 pm »

...Platinum?

At what point does one need platinum to get steel (or vice versa)? ???

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2010, 08:54:09 pm »

I remember hearing something about Toady worrying about getting sued if he used Mithril, so he went with adamantine. Not quite sure if memory serves there.
If you want to be technical about it, Mithril=Adamantine; just the same as Goblin=Orc.

The terms Mithril and Orc are simply Tolkien's elvish words for Adamantine and Goblin.  It was only later, with D&D, etc. that the terms became associated with separate things.

Saint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2010, 08:14:02 am »

You don't even need a river for waterwheels.  You just need some source of replenishing water.  Making your own 'river' is easy, you just have to prime the pump, and it'll power itself.  Perpetual motion device is pertetual.

The only problem with water that doesn't replenish is it evaporates...

Underground waterwheels?
Hazordhu 2: Dwarven recruits wanted!
You should all be ashamed of yourselves.  The obvious solution is to chain the baby up at the entrance as a kobold detector.

Ilmoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2010, 12:20:34 pm »

...Platinum?

At what point does one need platinum to get steel (or vice versa)? ???

I think he's suggesting materials based on rarity/difficuly to acquire, not on actual properties of the material.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2010, 02:00:14 pm »

I think he's suggesting materials based on rarity/difficuly to acquire, not on actual properties of the material.

It should almost definitely be based on material properties, or it Makes No Sense.  Like making armor out of gold because "it looks cool, so should be more awesome."
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4