Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Magma Drill  (Read 4801 times)

Alu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Magma Drill
« on: April 26, 2010, 05:40:08 am »

I have a suggestion for a new kind of magma-extraction.

The Magma Drill

This is just the basic idea, but in my opinion way better than a pump stack through 150 floors.

If the drill tiles could only hold up to 3/3 Magma, it would even cause less lag.

What do you think? :X
(don't kill me ._.)
"He admired a wonderful Trap lately"

Grumman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Magma Drill
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 06:07:50 am »

I like the idea of a "pre-assembled" pump stack layer, complete with walls, as a way for newbies to get access to magma with less chance of accidental magma death, and for old hands to build simple pump stacks without as much micromanagement. I'd suggest making it assembled level by level, with each level either a intermediate section (that connects to another magma drill section above), or the top section, that pumps out to the north, south, east or west (as decided at designation, sort of like drawbridges).

You could treat the entire stack as a single object that uses 10*n power and contains 7*n units of liquid, where n is the number of levels. When you power it up, the internal capacity starts to fill up. Once it's full, magma starts coming out the spout at the same rate it's drawn in from below.

Possible cross-section:
Code: [Select]
┌-┐
┌┘ └┐
│ X │
└┐ ┌┘
 └-┘
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 06:09:31 am by Grumman »

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 01:17:39 pm »

How would you power that?
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

lucusLoC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 04:02:41 pm »

power input at the top i would think, just for balance and constancy. don't want to make it too easy :-)
Quantum dumps are proof of "memory" being a perfectly normal dimension in DF. ~Gazz

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010, 04:16:59 pm »

power input at the top i would think, just for balance and constancy. don't want to make it too easy :-)
I meant, how the heck would you come up with enough power?
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2010, 04:17:23 pm »

We need legendary pump operators!
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2010, 04:26:27 pm »

First off, the power isn't an issue if you have a nearby river.  Second, the whole point of having separate pumps is so that it's harder to do stuff like this; it's part of the challenge of the game.

Quote from: Retro
Dwarven economics are still in the experimental stages. The humans have told them that they need to throw a lot of money around to get things going, but every time the dwarves try all they just end up with a bunch of coins lying all over the place.

The EPIC Dwarven Drinking Song of Many Names

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about logic/computing; I'm majoring in the topic.

Dakkan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2010, 06:40:32 pm »

Yeh, takes about 1600 power for my current pump stack, but that could be cut down a bit if I didn't have to avoid caverns and was pumping it into a tank of top of a tower. Lotta windmills. I really like this idea, but I may have to agree that it might make things too convienent.

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2010, 08:17:58 pm »

Windmills?

A single watermill is worth 5 times one of them!  Or better yet, a magmamill!  (Is that even possible?)

Dwarven economics are still in the experimental stages. The humans have told them that they need to throw a lot of money around to get things going, but every time the dwarves try all they just end up with a bunch of coins lying all over the place.

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about logic/computing; I'm majoring in the topic.

Grumman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2010, 10:08:45 pm »

Second, the whole point of having separate pumps is so that it's harder to do stuff like this; it's part of the challenge of the game.
It's not really a challenge, though, just time intensive. You're just doing the same half-dozen steps over and over again, using the same pump stack design as everyone else. I think letting you reduce this to a three step process (hollow out 5*5 shaft with staircases, drop roof to destroy staircases, build drill level by level) would be a good thing.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2010, 04:05:12 pm »

A single watermill is worth 5 times one of them!

Only if you have low wind.  Some maps windmills generate 40 power.

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2010, 05:09:39 pm »

Oh yeah?  You still can't have an underground perpetual wind tunnel!  (although it would be cool to have thermals and such) 

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2010, 06:04:10 pm »

Oh yeah?  You still can't have an underground perpetual wind tunnel!  (although it would be cool to have thermals and such)

I just had a wonderful, wonderful realization.

There is a very solid chance that, given the complexity of dwarf fortress, some of the stated goals, and the general design philosophy, that there will come a day when I build a fortress with Positive Pressure to keep it safe from airborne infections from outside.
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2010, 06:10:22 pm »

What, never seen something like this?

I forget what the phenomenon is called, but at night, the cold desert air fills the hole and warms up to approximately 10C, (average temperature of the air in caverns), and once it warms up, it has to escape.

I saw one out in Arizona, its pretty nifty for a few minutes.

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2010, 06:30:29 pm »

You don't even need a river for waterwheels.  You just need some source of replenishing water.  Making your own 'river' is easy, you just have to prime the pump, and it'll power itself.  Perpetual motion device is pertetual.

The only problem with water that doesn't replenish is it evaporates...
Pages: [1] 2 3 4