Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 185

Author Topic: Elves of Amanereli - Paint adventure  (Read 624802 times)

Dorten

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAFFEINE_DEPENDENT ]
    • View Profile
Re: Elves of Amanereli - Paint adventure
« Reply #1515 on: January 14, 2011, 05:09:25 am »

I understood now!
They want Amala as their new god! And the knife is not for killing her, but for sacrificing poor innocent bypassing turtle to her!
Cacodemon 2nd Leutenant
medals: 8/40
specials: 30/44
badges: 13:8:3:0:0

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1516 on: January 14, 2011, 07:53:57 am »

We have a hidden gem on this forum. Great work.

Rexfelum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1517 on: January 14, 2011, 01:56:27 pm »

I guess I just think that since they were terrified of their god, and he was eating them, that they might be happy to have more religious freedom. Perhaps we need to try gaining some converts? Do we have any shamanic missionaries (whoa. role reversal) in our ranks?

Could be good, yes.  Had this merely been posted earlier in the thread and gotten more momentum behind it from the other players, I could see it going places.  Ah, what cruel fate!

Poor attempts at cynical humor aside, I note that the caravan left behind the diplomat with the silver tongue.  I think any language-based conflict resolution would be limited to things that are easy to shout in a high(-ish)-speed barge chase, like just asking what they want.  Unless you have any particular suggestions.

But, for all we know, the upcoming events will end in a stalemate that allows time to talk.

--Rexfelum

DarkerDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1518 on: January 14, 2011, 04:42:52 pm »

No update this week, as my sister ran off to visit relatives in New York, taking my laptop with her. She was supposed to be back today, but now they've extended the stay until Sunday.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1519 on: January 14, 2011, 04:48:02 pm »

Why did she take your laptop?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1520 on: January 14, 2011, 05:03:01 pm »

Why did she take your laptop?
Because sisters are like that?
I guess I just think that since they were terrified of their god, and he was eating them, that they might be happy to have more religious freedom. Perhaps we need to try gaining some converts? Do we have any shamanic missionaries (whoa. role reversal) in our ranks?

Could be good, yes.  Had this merely been posted earlier in the thread and gotten more momentum behind it from the other players, I could see it going places.  Ah, what cruel fate!

Poor attempts at cynical humor aside, I note that the caravan left behind the diplomat with the silver tongue.
Yeah, I wish I'd thought of it earlier. Whatever happens will still be awesome, though.

And yeah, leaving behind all religious and diplomatic figures has set us back a bit in this regard. It's probably why it wasn't earlier that I took the "we have your god" all the way to "want a new one?".
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 05:06:32 pm by Flaede »
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Rexfelum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1521 on: January 14, 2011, 05:43:57 pm »

Poor attempts at cynical humor aside, I note that the caravan left behind the diplomat with the silver tongue.

Yeah, I wish I'd thought of it earlier. Whatever happens will still be awesome, though.

And yeah, leaving behind all religious and diplomatic figures has set us back a bit in this regard. It's probably why it wasn't earlier that I took the "we have your god" all the way to "want a new one?".

Well, guess what?

No update this week, as my sister ran off to visit relatives in New York, taking my laptop with her. She was supposed to be back today, but now they've extended the stay until Sunday.

We've got time now.  Since all this stuff happens in DarkerDark's brain, we can toss out anything and see how it percolates through.  So, for example, I can share the mental picture I got of Valo finding that his old blade of grass had become hollow after days of chewing and could therefore serve as an unnoticeable "breathing reed" for someone who felt like swimming stealthily up to the barge, and who knows what would happen?

It would be awesome for the elven caravan to travel across the continent mending alliances and forging new friendships (for the greater glory of all Amanereli).  Peace with the amphibian men would be cool.  But did we pass the diplomatic point-of-no-return halfway through the last update?

--Rexfelum

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1522 on: January 14, 2011, 06:10:28 pm »

We've got time now.  Since all this stuff happens in DarkerDark's brain, we can toss out anything and see how it percolates through.  So, for example, I can share the mental picture I got of Valo finding that his old blade of grass had become hollow after days of chewing and could therefore serve as an unnoticeable "breathing reed" for someone who felt like swimming stealthily up to the barge, and who knows what would happen?
Ah, yes, Valo the reed chewer. Who Is Awesome. I'm just worried that if he goes off on his own he will Find Things out in the water. Or he could be like a Pitch Black Vin Diesel character, who does his best work alone ;)  I know he seems a little slim for that, but maybe he's brawny for an elf?

But if he went off alone Rambo Style, then who would he make wry insightful comments to? The audience?

It would be awesome for the elven caravan to travel across the continent mending alliances and forging new friendships (for the greater glory of all Amanereli). 
Word. (The Word? The Word Made Wood?) What is the elves' weird shamanic religion? We've had some hints from the "meanwhile back at the tree" interlude). Perhaps they can all connect to the planet a la the crazy plant-based-internet in Avatar?

But did we pass the diplomatic point-of-no-return halfway through the last update?
Maaaybe? Yeah. I'm worried we did.
But at least it could be a tragic tree-hugging "why can't we just all get along?" thing, while we fill them with arrows. Maybe if instead we could sing disney-esque songs to have the other woodland swamp creatures ally with us, and save Amala bite our enemies' faces off? I just have to think of some lyrics.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
[/quote]

Rexfelum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1523 on: January 14, 2011, 06:37:29 pm »

But if he went off alone Rambo Style, then who would he make wry insightful comments to? The audience?

Hmm.  Depends.  If he sneaks along the shore with other ambushers, well, then that's all set.  If he gets over to the barge to engage in at-swordpoint diplomacy before anything else happens, then he could talk to the amphibian men.  If the archers on the water kill most of the amphibian men, and the knife-wielding leader stops the elven assault by holding Amala hostage, and Valo single-handedly saves the day by assassinating that last foe and then catching Amala's falling form, discovering it was at this exact moment that she came to her senses, then he might very well have a thing or two to say to her.  Assuming she let him get a word in edgewise.

And yes, it is most critical to establish these sorts of things out of everything we could be doing with the game.

What is the elves' weird shamanic religion? We've had some hints from the "meanwhile back at the tree" interlude.

Yeah, can't help you.  All I know from Dwarf Fortress is that there are "forces" out there (or some other term like that).  We haven't really heard religious expressions in conversation, and the most vehement "oath-taking" was "By the Tranquil Forest, Yes!"  Which, interestingly, was also from a hallucinogenic interlude.  Draw what conclusions you will.

Maybe if instead we could sing disney-esque songs to have the other woodland swamp creatures ally with us, and save Amala bite our enemies' faces off? I just have to think of some lyrics.

Awake ye scary great old ones?

--Rexfelum

DrunkDorfPally

• Bay Watcher
  • "Mess wi' meh booze n' die!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1524 on: January 14, 2011, 08:17:55 pm »

Awake ye scary great old ones?

--Rexfelum

YES!  THAT Song!  XD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbzuzSbCyfQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9gRtHX6c08

And we shall use the  forbidden word/sigil/rune of "+#!$" to summan the Mother of a Thousand Young and her children to save nature from these foul Deep One ripoffs!  IA IA!  XD
Lemme introduce yer ta me friends: righty axe and lefty axe. They want ta kiss yer bloody face!
Lemme, AXE you a question!

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1525 on: January 15, 2011, 03:30:04 am »

I always liked "It's beginning to look a lot like Fishmen".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tTHn2tHhcI
[/quote]

DrunkDorfPally

• Bay Watcher
  • "Mess wi' meh booze n' die!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1526 on: January 15, 2011, 11:06:44 am »

Shouldn't that be "Frogmen?"  Kek!  XD
Lemme introduce yer ta me friends: righty axe and lefty axe. They want ta kiss yer bloody face!
Lemme, AXE you a question!

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1527 on: January 15, 2011, 11:09:52 am »

I was thinking that fishmen might help us elves when diplomacy with the froggies breaks down.
Although if we want to get on the good side of the frogs... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CImi8VwNN1A

INTERRUPTION: FROGMEN CANCELS KIDNAP: Free Soda Pop and Crackers.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 11:14:47 am by Flaede »
[/quote]

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1528 on: January 15, 2011, 11:24:12 am »

I was thinking that fishmen might help us elves when diplomacy with the froggies breaks down.
When diplomacy breaks down? It broke down when we tried this.

quip

• Bay Watcher
  • ???
    • View Profile
« Reply #1529 on: January 15, 2011, 04:13:50 pm »

When diplomacy breaks down? It broke down when we tried this.
We're elves! When our caravans drown in floods of magma during trade negotiations in dwarven forts we send another caravan in exactly the same! Repeating failed tactics is the elven definiton of brilliant planning!
Hell hath no fury like an angry vampire pimp.
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 185