Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 185

Author Topic: Elves of Amanereli - Paint adventure  (Read 624275 times)

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Elves of Amanereli - Paint adventure
« Reply #420 on: May 09, 2010, 04:30:39 pm »

The function of a palisade is to hamper and slow down whatever is coming for you by absorbing its mass.
The elephant will TRAMPLE the goods to get to you.
Spider Overhaul
Adding realistic spiders to Dwarf Fortress. (Discontinued.)

Godhood VIII
The latest installment in the Godhood roleplaying game series.

Samthere

• Bay Watcher
  • RRRRRAAAAAAOR! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: May 09, 2010, 05:42:13 pm »

Quickly order the elves to build makeshift palisades out of the trading goods some other elves.
Fixed. Don't wanna waste our precious goods.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: May 09, 2010, 05:45:03 pm »

Quickly order the elves to build makeshift palisades out of the trading goods some other elves.
Fixed. Don't wanna waste our precious goods.
Agreed. But build it out of the idiot elves who suggested the plan. It's only right to let natural selection take it's course.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: May 09, 2010, 07:04:46 pm »

I seriously doubt the killer elephant is going to go all benign on us just from removing the weight from its tusks or idly chatting with it. It's out for blood, and I think we'd need something better than pleasant conversation to calm it. Probably something better than good herbs as well.

For the moment, we might or might not be able to assume the rest of the herd is right behind the murderous one. We probably can assume that the herd has been following us under the direction of their new chieftain. As I see it, we really only have one option, depending on how well I understand tactics and rivers.

If it's just the one elephant, we can probably assume he'll value elf carnage above just about anything else. He was rather cautious in waiting for the proper time to attack, so he's not just a berserker, but between rescuing his caged fellow and murdering us all in an unholy rage I'd say he'll take the latter. Which means the best course of action, I think, maybe, would be to have the sentry hurl the torch in his eyes to buy him a few moments, then have every elf dash across the river, leaving our goods behind.

The bowelves will of course begin firing from across the river as soon as they've arrived- they'll probably be the fastest across anyway, and with luck this will also help convince the elephant to cross the river and murder us over there as opposed to hunting down the straggling civilians. We position our spearelves in front of our bowelves right at the river's edge, however, so when it thunders across, taking arrows the whole way, it finds itself trying to fight while in the river. That should give us enough edge to either drive it off or kill it.

Problems with this plan include that it assumes we're very, very close to the river, that there's only one elephant or that we can intimidate an entire herd away, and that it will die or flee rather than smash all our goods on the opposite side of the river, though if we're close enough to get across the river in the first place we're probably within bowshot from the other side. I suppose we might also have trouble seeing across the river into the darkness, but Amala and her rangers are probably accustomed to doing something about that.

Mind you, I would like to enact a diplomatic solution, but you've seen those eyes. I just don't think our animal taming skill is up to that level.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: May 09, 2010, 07:14:17 pm »

Alright, the dude with the torch is as good as dead. We should capitalize on his being near the elephant by having him kamikaze and stab the elephant in the nose with his torch.

Also, I think that Amala might've been the wrong choice... She was quite lax, for a ranger.

THIS WILL NOT END WELL
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: May 09, 2010, 07:40:39 pm »

I don't think we should give up on the sentry totally, though I agree he's probably hamburger. More importantly, I don't think a torch attack is going to accomplish more than a blinding toss, so what's good for the sentry is probably what's good for everyone anyway.

I'm actually surprised and pleased Amala took so well to our pampering, I assumed she'd think it was stupid. Though I am a little disturbed that she's being treated like a queen because she murdered a drunk and now everyone's afraid of her. Bad sign, you know?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: May 09, 2010, 07:44:16 pm »

I'm actually surprised and pleased Amala took so well to our pampering, I assumed she'd think it was stupid. Though I am a little disturbed that she's being treated like a queen because she murdered a drunk and now everyone's afraid of her. Bad sign, you know?

ALL HAIL QUEEN AMALA! Oh, did you say something?
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

Samthere

• Bay Watcher
  • RRRRRAAAAAAOR! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: May 09, 2010, 08:12:48 pm »

Eh, if she goes power-crazy, Ale'll just have to step in.

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: May 09, 2010, 08:13:26 pm »

But we left him back home...
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

Samthere

• Bay Watcher
  • RRRRRAAAAAAOR! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: May 09, 2010, 08:14:15 pm »

But we left him back home...
I meant when we get back and Amala decides she's obviously rightfully the queen. IF.

Julien Brightside

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Artblog
« Reply #430 on: May 09, 2010, 08:39:24 pm »

How about we focus on the matter at hand before we worry about regicide and revolution?

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: May 09, 2010, 08:44:43 pm »

Currently, Regicide and revolutionare at hand.

Tell the elephant to leave us the fu** alone. We were spreading seeds, not thorns!
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: May 09, 2010, 08:46:08 pm »

I seriously doubt the killer elephant is going to go all benign on us just from removing the weight from its tusks or idly chatting with it. It's out for blood, and I think we'd need something better than pleasant conversation to calm it. Probably something better than good herbs as well.

For the moment, we might or might not be able to assume the rest of the herd is right behind the murderous one. We probably can assume that the herd has been following us under the direction of their new chieftain. As I see it, we really only have one option, depending on how well I understand tactics and rivers.

If it's just the one elephant, we can probably assume he'll value elf carnage above just about anything else. He was rather cautious in waiting for the proper time to attack, so he's not just a berserker, but between rescuing his caged fellow and murdering us all in an unholy rage I'd say he'll take the latter. Which means the best course of action, I think, maybe, would be to have the sentry hurl the torch in his eyes to buy him a few moments, then have every elf dash across the river, leaving our goods behind.

The bowelves will of course begin firing from across the river as soon as they've arrived- they'll probably be the fastest across anyway, and with luck this will also help convince the elephant to cross the river and murder us over there as opposed to hunting down the straggling civilians. We position our spearelves in front of our bowelves right at the river's edge, however, so when it thunders across, taking arrows the whole way, it finds itself trying to fight while in the river. That should give us enough edge to either drive it off or kill it.

Problems with this plan include that it assumes we're very, very close to the river, that there's only one elephant or that we can intimidate an entire herd away, and that it will die or flee rather than smash all our goods on the opposite side of the river, though if we're close enough to get across the river in the first place we're probably within bowshot from the other side. I suppose we might also have trouble seeing across the river into the darkness, but Amala and her rangers are probably accustomed to doing something about that.

Mind you, I would like to enact a diplomatic solution, but you've seen those eyes. I just don't think our animal taming skill is up to that level.

I think this is the most plauible sullution for the current problem.
But I am sure we will loose a few elves whatever we do.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 11:34:02 pm by Ultimuh »

maxicaxi

• Bay Watcher
  • Why? I have no idea.
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: May 09, 2010, 10:47:54 pm »

take some herbs man........

WE WILL BE HIPPIES
I have absolutely no idea what's going on in this fort any more. Migrants arrive, they die for some reason, the fort is flooded for another reason, then dwarves go mad, more dwarves die and I'm just laughing in my distress.
you cannot defeat the potato.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: May 10, 2010, 01:01:19 am »

Also, I say we go south!

HUMAN MERCS YO
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 185