Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 185

Author Topic: Elves of Amanereli - Paint adventure  (Read 623412 times)

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
  • Innocence proves nothing.
    • View Profile
Re: Elves of Amanereli - Paint adventure
« Reply #90 on: April 28, 2010, 07:46:53 am »

Gods, awesome work. Makes me want to practice my painting again.

maxicaxi

• Bay Watcher
  • Why? I have no idea.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 28, 2010, 11:58:53 am »

bump
I have absolutely no idea what's going on in this fort any more. Migrants arrive, they die for some reason, the fort is flooded for another reason, then dwarves go mad, more dwarves die and I'm just laughing in my distress.
you cannot defeat the potato.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 28, 2010, 12:11:51 pm »

bump

After four hours? Shoo away with ye.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

maxicaxi

• Bay Watcher
  • Why? I have no idea.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 28, 2010, 12:28:31 pm »

bump

After four hours? Shoo away with ye.

i can do it when i want  to   :P
I have absolutely no idea what's going on in this fort any more. Migrants arrive, they die for some reason, the fort is flooded for another reason, then dwarves go mad, more dwarves die and I'm just laughing in my distress.
you cannot defeat the potato.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 28, 2010, 12:29:00 pm »

This is the 2nd most awsome thread on the forums.
You make Cacame... A little proud?
I dunno, he hates elves...
But I don't! Not anymore! :D
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 28, 2010, 12:55:16 pm »

I'd just like to kick it off by saying that the art involved in unbelievable.

Perform a montage with the elephants showing how species doesn't matter what sort of person you are. Live in a utopian happines with the elephants, merging into the herd and supporting their community.

Once you have their trust, lure them into smoking assorted herbs. Once they form a dependency, restrict supply and become extortionate, demanding more and more services from them for the herbs. There will doubtless be some more outspoken and troublesome of the elephants - they must be dealt with with discretion.

Even after the immediate labour needs of the tribe are fufilled, manipulate the elephants to build various megaprojects. The point of this is not to benefit from the megaprojects, but rather to change the social structure of the elephants. The once-mighty creatures, cripples by their addiction for the assorted herbs, shall live in a broken society. Living conditions for the elephants must be reduced so that they are only just surviving: they will not be aware of the long-term destruction of their society.

With time, the place of elephants will be firmly established. Broken creatures, they will beg and toil for the elves just for the next sweet hit of the assorted herbs. Elves will be established as the superior species, and as long as the living conditions of the elephants is kept poor, they will be unable to uprise and rebel. Of course, in order to maintain this, the elves need to establish a strict society: even though elves will be equal to elephants by the letter of the law, the practice will be different. By exaggerating the goblin menace as the root of all evils making scapegoats of troublesome elephants (claiming them to be agents for the goblins), a clear enemy can be established for the elephants to concern themselves with.

By offering large rewards of assorted herbs for any potential goblin agent elephants, any elephant that tries to disrupt proceedings will be quickly turned in. They will also be unable to identify with any other sympathisers, as they will not be able to tell them from the regular members of society.

A secret police will have to be established. The elephants sohuld be constantly living in fear, unable to shoe a moment's deviance from acceptable thoughts. The actual logistics of monitoring every elephant will be a huge problem, so the elephants must be unable to know if they are being watched or not. By establishing a series of underground tunnels underneath the elephant settlements where elves and elephants can be posted, the elephants will be able to be watched and heard at any time, but they will not know at any given point whether they are being monitored or not. They must therefore always act like they are being monitored, in case they are.

The knowledge and society of the elves must be heavily censored, too. The elves must establish a leader for the elephants to follow. The leader must himself be an elephant, called "prodigious pachyderm" Pictures of this leader will be placed everywhere. Since the leader is an elephant, the other elephants will be encouraged to act like him, and with time they will want to act like him. All new reaching the elephants must be completely fabriacted: they must be told how they live in an age of prosperity thanks to the glory of their leader and his following of the desired way of life, despite the filthy goblins who shall be seen as all that is bad. This leader does not need to actually exist; the elephants need to think that he exists.

Over time, a stable society will be formed. Elephants will be brainwashed into pure hatred of the goblins, and loving their leader and his agents, the elves. They shall see the leader and the elves as the source of all that is good: Their society, their defence against goblins and their assorted herbs. The mere concept of society as anything different will be outside what they can convieve: the language that they use shall have to be changed after a time to make even expressing an unfavourable thought impossible. They shall live in constant fear, though. They shall be terrified of goblin agents, and that they might be thought to be goblin agents.

Disappearances in such a society would be common, and thus nobody would notice when an elephant is taken away to be traded to the dwarves. They will not be told of the dwarves, though. Whenever an elephant is needed for trading, one shall be taken, a problematic one if preferable.

HailFire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 28, 2010, 01:02:05 pm »

That's a great plan except that it takes waaaay too long for our purposes. We don't need an elephant in five years, we need one right now.
[22:59] <apotheoseGrifter> COMMIT SUDOKU ALL NIGHT LONG FUCK YEAH
[18:14] <The_Gamemaster> I am here.
[18:14] <The_Gamemaster> I am always here.
[18:15] <The_Gamemaster> I have always been here, and I always will be here. I am the alpha and the omega, the beginning and the end.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 28, 2010, 01:07:56 pm »

Your art is SO amazing, it's making Armok himself mourn ELVES. Know thee, DarkerDark, what thou hasth done. :'(

I say we go with the poisoned arrow plan.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 28, 2010, 01:24:48 pm »

That's a great plan except that it takes waaaay too long for our purposes. We don't need an elephant in five years, we need one right now.

Five years?  You think that complete social structuring, including indoctrination of the young, addition of advanced surveillance equipment, revision of language to where an elephant literally can't even think about rebelling, and making sure that the elephants forget(though they never forget) about their old way of life takes five years?  I'd give it two weeks, tops.  These are elves after all; can't they talk with and control animals anyways?

However, I think that it might be better to just follow irony's plan.
All generalizations are false....including this one.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 28, 2010, 01:34:37 pm »

You've got to keep in mind that its advantages are not only in the future, it also had advantages now.

For example, the elephants are currently posing a big threat to the elves: The montage would fix that.

Once we've gained their trust, we can send some diplomats. These diplomats will talk about how mutual social and economic advancement would be be advantaged by the integration of societies and compounding of knowledge of elves and elephants. They can then advance the proposal that such things would be encouraged by the immediate mixing and interaction of the two people: some elephants live with the elves, and some elves live with the elephants.

The elves living with the elephants would start the plan outlined above.

Due to the gap between elven and elephant society, the elephants do not know about the cities and societies of the elves. For this reason, we can claim that we are taking the elephant representatives back to our capital city, and under this pretence, bring them along to the dwarven outpost. During the journey, they will be at our mercy several times (such as when sleeping), and at a suitable one of these times, we can restrain the elephants, ready to be traded.

abculatter_2

• Bay Watcher
  • HOPE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 28, 2010, 02:41:35 pm »

We must do Ed Boy's plan, if only because he put the effort into typing it up.
Don't think of it as being besieged by thralls/husks, think of it as having your own personal moat of life hating mutilated menaces

Now wall yourself in quickly

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 28, 2010, 03:46:14 pm »

Elves in the trees hide in treetops with nets.

One elf on the ground at the edge scatters more thorns and flees into the forest.

As the elephant runs past, the treetop elves net it.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 28, 2010, 04:23:38 pm »

I'm not sure that cloth nets could stop a rampaging bull elephant...but we could try it and check anyways.  For SCIENCE!

Pit trap is most likely to work; preferably with cage already installed.
All generalizations are false....including this one.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 28, 2010, 04:26:32 pm »

I'm not sure that cloth nets could stop a rampaging bull elephant...but we could try it and check anyways.  For SCIENCE!

Pit trap is most likely to work; preferably with cage already installed.

That would be a lovely thing to do several days before we got into this mess.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Dorten

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAFFEINE_DEPENDENT ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 28, 2010, 10:29:50 pm »

This plan won't work. You see, at the point of "restrict supply and become extortionate" elephants will just stomp the elves and take the herbs, thats all...
Cacodemon 2nd Leutenant
medals: 8/40
specials: 30/44
badges: 13:8:3:0:0
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 185