Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 163 164 [165] 166 167 ... 185

Author Topic: Elves of Amanereli - Paint adventure  (Read 623635 times)

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Elves of Amanereli - Paint adventure
« Reply #2460 on: December 21, 2011, 01:12:54 am »

I personally prefer the less detailed artwork, except for rare occasions....

Spoiler: This One (click to show/hide)

Totally a Lord of the Rings reference.

The action request that everyone wanted DD to draw was a video of Legolas killing the war-elephant. That was an epic update.

Steam ID: The Fool [B12]
A Flexible Mind (Suggestion Game)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #2461 on: December 21, 2011, 03:25:39 am »

I personally prefer the less detailed artwork, except for rare occasions....

Spoiler: This One (click to show/hide)

Totally a Lord of the Rings reference.

The action request that everyone wanted DD to draw was a video of Legolas killing the war-elephant. That was an epic update.
And...come to think of it, this was the first in-detail picture compared to the rest at the time, that or a close up makes everything better.

Elves of amanereli, generating avatars since early 2010.

A note though;  the art seems more grim than in the first images.  I think it might benefit from cleaner lines to make it seem slightly more comical.

EDIT: that was rather vague, however the earlier images artwork seems more playful

Yeah, the earlier art was a bit more comical, wasn't it? Maybe that's why I haven't had any good jokes lately. The artwork is too serious. Hmmm...

Phantom of The Library

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO: SUDDEN DISAPPEARANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2462 on: December 22, 2011, 07:52:30 pm »

Looking at the art from a few updates back, it seems that the extreme detail only came into being on the last update (although he did say that he was going to try to make it more detailed on Jan. 2nd), so it's doubtful that that's what's been the problem, however if he feels that it's holding him back then go for it.
Personally I liked the simpler version better; except for as ashton said on rare or dramatic occasions (which I considered this to be one), I feel that the simpler style lends to a more comic feel rather than, as we have now, a grimmer, planning feel.

Speaking of plans.
For the elves, I say finish with the ceremonies for now.  If not all elves are required to attend, I would suggest sending out a scout to map out the surrounding area so we can best navigate it (or if necessary island hop out through the swamps, since I'm pretty sure that two barges aren't going to be enough to carry everything at once, and after checking our current supplies, we probably don't have enough to make another)
Also, depending on how paranoid we are by this point, we might consider sending out a chain of scouts; each one in sight range of the other, so there's no chance of mysterious disappearances. 

For Amala, I think that we should just go with the flow, do what seems natural.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: To Darkerdark: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 06:11:00 pm by Phantom of The Library »
Gnosis - Torn Ajar -- Text Suggestion Games.
This is what happens when we randomly murder people.

You get attacked by a Yandere triangle monster.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2463 on: December 22, 2011, 08:33:45 pm »

On a related note, how do I put descriptions into my spoilers?
Like this:

Code: [Select]
[spoiler=spoiler description]
spoiler text
[/spoiler]
becomes:
Spoiler: spoiler description (click to show/hide)

Phantom of The Library

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2464 on: December 22, 2011, 09:09:48 pm »

Thank you kind (sir? I'm assuming from the name, if not then ma'am)  I checked the SMF index but I couldn't find anything on spoilers at all. 

Also, sorry for the derail.
Spoiler: Kinda' Like This (click to show/hide)

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2465 on: December 22, 2011, 09:38:24 pm »

[stupid]I have an idea about the story behind the art change! Remember how early on people would say things like 'replace all the warriors with armless children' and 'use elephant noises to lure elephants to the cage trap'? As we started going on to such important matters as this:
Spoiler: Serious Business (click to show/hide)
the art style became more grim. I propose we all make retarded suggestions, give Amala a few reasons to kill another elf
Spoiler: Like So (click to show/hide)
and the illustrations will be cartoony again within an update or two from now![/stupid]

In all seriousness, I actually kinda like how the art has changed. It feels like the comic's drawings are matching up with the location; back when the elves were in their happy homeland, everything was light and silly. Now that they're in the dangerous and soggy swamps, the lines are thinner and their are more of them, which is reminiscent of a drizzling rain to me. Maybe when the caravan reaches the mountainhome, the art will be blockier and more minimalistic, fitting with the dwarven theme. At any rate, the art throughout the entire comic has been consistently the highest quality out of any long-running thread.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #2466 on: December 22, 2011, 11:13:00 pm »

Elves will die.

We still have a long way to go, stating again we haven't met any other humanoids.

At any rate, the art throughout the entire comic has been consistently the highest quality out of any long-running thread.

Fully agree.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #2467 on: December 23, 2011, 07:39:53 am »

What Araph said.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Phantom of The Library

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2468 on: December 23, 2011, 04:22:46 pm »

[stupid]I have an idea about the story behind the art change! Remember how early on people would say things like 'replace all the warriors with armless children' and 'use elephant noises to lure elephants to the cage trap'? As we started going on to such important matters as this:
Spoiler: Serious Business (click to show/hide)
the art style became more grim. I propose we all make retarded suggestions, give Amala a few reasons to kill another elf
Spoiler: Like So (click to show/hide)
and the illustrations will be cartoony again within an update or two from now![/stupid]

[silly]You're quite right; clearly we should have all the elves form a bridge, using themselves, tickle the Titan, and have a large, noisy party in celebration of their victory, inviting all of the frogmen over to our camp to sing thiiiis while playing pin the tail on the Titan.[/silly]

It feels like the comic's drawings are matching up with the location; back when the elves were in their happy homeland, everything was light and silly. Now that they're in the dangerous and soggy swamps, the lines are thinner and their are more of them, which is reminiscent of a drizzling rain to me. Maybe when the caravan reaches the mountainhome, the art will be blockier and more minimalistic, fitting with the dwarven theme.
You raise a valid point, I didn't consider this.

Elves will die.
Yep.

We still have a long way to go, stating again we haven't met any other humanoids.
I understand what you mean by that, but wouldn't the frogmen be considered humanoid?

At any rate, the art throughout the entire comic has been consistently the highest quality out of any long-running thread.

Fully agree.
What Araph said.
I don't think it's possible to disagree.

Hitty40

• Bay Watcher
  • Poker face, motherfucker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2469 on: December 23, 2011, 05:19:51 pm »

I request a picture of an elf wearing the iron helmet from Skyrim shouting at a troll on top of a mountain 'FUS RO DAH'.

With an arrow in the knee.
Ho Ho Ho! I'm going to be sticking economic stone so far up your stockings, you'll be coughing up gemstone windows!
You see, when the devil comes on to your forums and begins dropping F bombs and shouts 'GIVE ALL YOUR WOMEN!', he's in a happy mood.
if there's lots of g's and z's, it's gobbo. If you don't really recognize it, it's human. if it's called Urist, it's dwarf.

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2470 on: December 23, 2011, 05:39:27 pm »

'FUS RO DAH'.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooo.....

Sorry, that phrase just brings up bad memories. Terrible memories. Memories of the one time a pair of fools dared to challenge my grasp of Elder Scrolls lore. Challenges like that are one of my berserk buttons.

Hitty40

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2471 on: December 23, 2011, 05:43:54 pm »

'FUS RO DAH'.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooo.....

Sorry, that phrase just brings up bad memories. Terrible memories. Memories of the one time a pair of fools dared to challenge my grasp of Elder Scrolls lore. Challenges like that are one of my berserk buttons.

Ho Ho Ho! I'm going to be sticking economic stone so far up your stockings, you'll be coughing up gemstone windows!
You see, when the devil comes on to your forums and begins dropping F bombs and shouts 'GIVE ALL YOUR WOMEN!', he's in a happy mood.
if there's lots of g's and z's, it's gobbo. If you don't really recognize it, it's human. if it's called Urist, it's dwarf.

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2472 on: December 23, 2011, 05:46:33 pm »

Well, it's only really bad if you get the spelling and order of the words wrong, them argue with me when I correct you. Like some people did. *grumble grumble*

Hitty40

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2473 on: December 23, 2011, 05:48:17 pm »

Well, it's only really bad if you get the spelling and order of the words wrong, them argue with me when I correct you. Like some people did. *grumble grumble*

DAH FUS RO!

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2474 on: December 23, 2011, 05:53:21 pm »

Why do you hate me so?
Pages: 1 ... 163 164 [165] 166 167 ... 185