Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10

Author Topic: Where you in the D&D moral alignment?  (Read 13511 times)

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
Re: Where you in the D&D moral alignment?
« Reply #120 on: April 28, 2010, 09:00:50 pm »

I don't fit into the 3.5 DnD Alignment System, the WotC test for example, most of the questions do not have the answers i would choose. So i fit into the 4e "Unaligned" Alignment.

As for the Enneagram + Jung:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 28, 2010, 09:52:39 pm »

Spoiler: Jung (click to show/hide)

Always the same.  Only once have I gotten INTP, and I wasn't answering quite honestly that time.
Shoes...

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 29, 2010, 01:33:35 am »

So you put more value in emotions than thoughts, why do you seem to imply that is a bad thing?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 29, 2010, 01:50:39 am »

I don't.  By not honest, I mean I was in a more cerebral mood, and answered questions more to the thinking side.  Not that I don't want to be like that.
Shoes...

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 29, 2010, 01:53:08 am »

oic

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 29, 2010, 04:22:56 am »

If anyone stat plots, type 5 intp.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 29, 2010, 12:01:43 pm »

This is amusing. I got Chaotic Evil on the alignment test, and an ENTP Type 8/sexual on the Jung-Enneagram. Which is entirely different to the way I see myself. Either I've gotten something consistently wrong, or... eh. When I last tried one of these I got INTJ, but that was several years ago.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 29, 2010, 12:54:38 pm »

I got true neutral, and I think I got the INTP for the other one (don't really remember - I took it some time ago, and I can't be bothered to do it again).

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 29, 2010, 04:40:44 pm »

Also, I think it is cool that my Jung type has shifted since last year when I took it. I've been making an effort this year to be more out-going, even if it isn't going great, and I went from ... to ISTJ from INTP.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 29, 2010, 06:22:56 pm »

One problem with a test like this, giving you an alignment, is that the D&D alignment system has gone through revisions of meaning over the years. And the source material has very different things to say about Law vs Chaos for example than ever made it into publication.

And of course there's the perennial contentiousness around what certain alignments mean.

And this.

A secondary problem is that these personality tests are skewed by the preconceptions of the test maker. The language itself, and the words used in the test, skew the takers perception in different ways whether he's a native or non-native speaker (or if the test was translated!). The specific questions asked may or may not be understood in the way the test maker intended. The answers given may not be exactly what the test maker had in mind. The restrictiveness of a multiple-choice test is compounded by the test maker's choice in potential answers. The very order in which the answers are provided will subtly shift answers over the whole population of test-takers.

A tertiary problem is in the daily variances in our answers. One is not a substantially different person day to day, yet the test may yield different results. Are you tired? Drunk? High? Hungry? Need to pee? All of these may or may not influence your decision-making.

Finally, mapping the outcomes of one bad test with the outcomes of another bad test, which are only superficially related, and which are re-imagined to match better with each other, is of limited value.

Specifically relating to the D&D quiz, I take exception to the statement that "lawful people tend to work at secure jobs -- this doesn't mean that working a steady job makes you lawful". Practicing being good, or bad, or sloppy, or neat, or cowardly, or courageous, will actually change your decision-making process in the future. What we experience changes us, sometimes in fundamental ways. Just look at most people who spend time in the military. They exit with certain habits relating to hygiene and sleep schedule common to members of their unit. That the test maker succumbs to such a simple mistake suggests that deeper, more profound disasters of methodology are possible.

The D&D quiz also seemingly gives you a numerical value in some way for each answer, then averages them. In this way, answering "I like to give money to everyone" and "I like to eat babies and kick puppies" would average you out at Neutral when clearly there is a more complex conclusion.

One specific question in the D&D quiz asks:
A powerful but corrupt judge offers you wealth if you'll testify against a friend. Do you:

1: Condemn your friend and take the money
2: Take the money and testify, but try to keep your testimony ineffective
3: Refuse the offer and refuse to testify
4: Testify on your friend's behalf, no matter the consequences

Nowhere in the answers is "testify truthfully regardless of loyalty to the friend or the judge", "bring a recording device to get evidence and turn in the judge", "take the money and murder the judge", "murder the judge immediately upon his offer", "break your friend out of jail and help him escape", or the strange choice "refuse the money but testify against your friend anyway because you're petty and cruel for its own sake". All of the people who would have answered any of those get left out in the cold, and instead of showing up on the population graph as what they really are, they are crammed into one of the other categories.

I've taken enough of these to understand that they're meaningless. I haven't seen a personality test that's any good unless it focuses strictly on one aspect of your personality, and even then the test is extensive and the possible outcomes have many millions of permutations.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 06:25:25 pm by LeoLeonardoIII »
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 29, 2010, 07:16:38 pm »

The point, I suppose, is that ideally, such a test should be well-constructed enough so that the answer chosen reflects whatever attribute is being looked for in the participant in a general fashion and allows for a valid conclusion to be reached by the time that all the questions have been answered. (That was a long sentence.)

That said, I'm surprised that what was presumably the choice of attempting to veil the implications of answers given in the alignment quiz was made - if there was blatantly one answer to each question for each possible alignment, sure, people might be tempted to try to deliberately play into certain roles rather than answering naturally, but that always happens with hypothetical-situation-multiple-choice things like this, and you'd probably end up with a better result in the end. Perhaps whoever was responsible simply couldn't think of enough answers.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 07:35:57 pm by 3 »

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 29, 2010, 08:23:06 pm »

It's a Dungeons and Dragons Alignment Test, why on earth were you expecting world-class psychology?

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 30, 2010, 07:02:50 am »

Spoiler: Cattel 16 (click to show/hide)

So, I'm a very passive sloth? Sounds about right to me.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 30, 2010, 01:33:43 pm »

Watch out Jreengus, all that anxiety can't be good for you.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 30, 2010, 01:37:28 pm »

Spoiler: AGPT (click to show/hide)
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10