Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 24

Author Topic: An Evolutionary RTD (Turn 14)  (Read 23501 times)

Knight85

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: An Evolutionary RTD (Turn 11)
« Reply #255 on: May 09, 2010, 04:52:40 pm »

Well I wasn't going to let this out, but I think I'm going to spring multicellularity on you pretty soon, regardless of size. Just makes it easier on both of us mutation wise :)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: May 09, 2010, 05:49:11 pm »

Well I wasn't going to let this out, but I think I'm going to spring multicellularity on you pretty soon, regardless of size. Just makes it easier on both of us mutation wise :)

True, and I don't think I have to point out a very good reason from a extremely major point in the history of life. :)

Knight85

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: May 10, 2010, 08:59:24 am »

Rolls are final numbers after modifiers.

Spoiler: Frelock (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: smjjames (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Paranatural (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: NoctisVampire (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Toaster (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: maxicaxi (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 09:10:15 am by Knight85 »

Knight85

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: May 10, 2010, 09:08:27 am »

Soon after the final cell is killed, we leave our adventurers behind and move forward in time. We find that the creatures who's ancestors had killed those two cells are still hanging together, but now they have evolved into more advanced multi-cellular creatures.

However, as larger creatures, the top layer of the sea all of a sudden seems barren, and now seems to be the time for the group of creatures to dive deeper, with that dive brings more challenges, but greater rewards.  But now they'll most certainly have to work harder for those rewards, and be at greater risk to being killed.

Down below you see (you all have eyes now.. colors may come into play) a large bright red creature, about twice as big as anyone else in your group.  You could go down and confront this creature, or dive down somewhere else away from the creature.

You are all multicellular, this means you need to determine the shape of your creature, appendages become tails, arms, etc..  Functional parts are still from mutation. So you can have a tail from "growth" but in order to gain propulsion, that tail needs a fin from "mutation"

So along with your orders for next turn, I need you instructions on converting to a multi-cellular creature. If you have growth or mutation available you can add those along as normal.

Turn 12
Spoiler: Frelock (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: smjjames (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Paranatural (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Noctisvampire (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Toaster (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: maxicaxi (click to show/hide)
As usual, if I made any mistakes, point them out.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 09:14:24 am by Knight85 »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: May 10, 2010, 09:52:29 am »

Coolness :) Onward to the Cambrian Explosion!!  :D :D

As for mutation:
1. Make the ring of teeth bigger, longer, curved, and mobile from muscles at the base. (creating a precursor to jaws eventually).
2. Evolve chromatophores.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromatophore for info. I was thinking of eventually having cephalopod style chromatophores, but it will take a while to evolve the complexity they have with them, so I have to evolve them first.

As for conversion to multicellular:

Color: Develop countershading and make the green into a darker green with white where the belly would be.

Single celled mutation conversion: For the pseudopoda, make those develop into a set of retractable tentacles around the mouth, 3 on each side. Keep the cillia for movement (lots of microscopic animals use them).

Shape: Become elongated and wormlike. Use a bilateral body plan with eyes situated on the sides near the mouth, the mouth and the end of the gut are in expected locations for an animal with a bilateral body plan.

Appendages: None yet, heh.

Edit: Oh yea, the action.

We should dive down somewhere else away from the creature, it would be a good idea to be a bit cautious at this point.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 10:14:20 pm by smjjames »

NoctisVampire

• Bay Watcher
  • Has withdrawn from society.
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: May 10, 2010, 09:58:49 am »

Finally...Multicellular! :D
My instructions on conversion:
Color: If possible, change back to brown, with dots/patches of all sort of colors around.
Shape: Long spindle, but not as long as smjjames(for speed and maneuverability.)
Appendage: Become a tail.

(Is mutations from monocellular stages invalidated? If not, add fins to the tail, if so, then it's still fine)
Actions:
Follow the group, if the group decided to attack the Big Red I will join, and do distracting, if not I will still follow them whereever they decided to submerge deeper.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: May 10, 2010, 10:18:35 am »

Finally...Multicellular! :D
My instructions on conversion:
Color: If possible, change back to brown, with dots/patches of all sort of colors around.
Shape: Long spindle, but not as long as smjjames(for speed and maneuverability.)
Appendage: Become a tail.

(Is mutations from monocellular stages invalidated? If not, add fins to the tail, if so, then it's still fine)
Actions:

It would depend on what mutations they are, for example my pseudopod ability would be invalidated because we are now too big for that to be of much use even though still microscopic. The cillia, which me and Paranatural have, are still used by many microscopic animals, so that is keepable. A similar conversion could be done for flagellae as well.

NoctisVampire

• Bay Watcher
  • Has withdrawn from society.
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: May 10, 2010, 10:28:10 am »

You are right...So...addendum on conversion:
Keep those flagella on every cell in the skin tissue in place, and they should help movement since it works in a similiar way to cilia on monocellular cells, and nevermind that "fin to the tail" order.

Knight85

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: May 10, 2010, 11:41:42 am »

@Noctis
Mutations previously just become something else (or the same if it fits being multicellular), you still end up with the same net of mutations/growths.

Paranatural

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: May 10, 2010, 01:00:04 pm »

Color: Purple, with bright green spots.
Shape: Flat oval, a mouth at the 'tip' of the oval, cillia all over, and eyes on either side of my body.
Appendages: None, yet.

I vote we go deeper, past the red thing, as well. When/if we get there I scrounge for algae and DNA
The corpses appear to be primarily concentrated under the dead cat.  - Untelligent
Mental Health 6/6. You easily comfort yourself knowing that Paranatural's Hot Stubble And Deliciously Unwashed Armpits will be  waiting for you whatever happens.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: May 10, 2010, 03:00:49 pm »

@Noctis
Mutations previously just become something else (or the same if it fits being multicellular), you still end up with the same net of mutations/growths.

What should I do with the pseudopoda mutation though? Although it wasn't really so much a mutation than stretching the cytoplasm...... actually, I have an idea...
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 03:06:19 pm by smjjames »

Knight85

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: May 10, 2010, 03:24:42 pm »

@Noctis

What should I do with the pseudopoda mutation though? Although it wasn't really so much a mutation than stretching the cytoplasm...... actually, I have an idea...

As it was a special gained through actions, you lose it, unless.. you come up with something creative that convinces me to keep it. hehe.

Maxicaxi is likely to hold hold on to his bio-luminescence, especially because it is related to his weapon.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: May 10, 2010, 03:28:38 pm »

How about the tentacle stuff that I put up?

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: May 10, 2010, 09:13:43 pm »

Hmm.... trying to think of how the flagellae would be represented in a larger form.

Are we just larger microscopic organisms, or are we small sea life?

Shape:  Generally cigar shaped, with the mouth at the end under the hard plate.
Color:  Still red.
Flagellae: Still generally in place at the back end of the cell, providing the same function of bursts of speed.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Knight85

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: May 10, 2010, 09:18:16 pm »

How about the tentacle stuff that I put up?

Durr... I wasn't paying attention.   Cephalopod!  Yeah tentacles fit perfectly.

Are we just larger microscopic organisms, or are we small sea life?
Well because I just allowed smjjames to be a cephalopod. (smallest being an inch long squid)Lets go with really tiny but visible eh?

Might as well go all the way and make things fun as animals now eh?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 09:21:09 pm by Knight85 »
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 24