Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 24

Author Topic: An Evolutionary RTD (Turn 14)  (Read 23462 times)

Knight85

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: An Evolutionary RTD (Turn 11)
« Reply #285 on: May 12, 2010, 11:07:38 am »

Its suppoused to be three on either side of the mouth, making 6 total.

Also, maybe we should state the size in inches, feet, whatever, rather than just saying size 2, size 3 and so on now that we are multicellular? I'm okay with the size 2, size 3, etc stuff, just a thought here as its up to you and whatever works best for you.

Anyways, maybe investigate the smaller yellow creatures.?

Sizes are relative just so that I don't have to deal with that :)

Paranatural

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: May 12, 2010, 11:08:19 am »

Move towards where the yellow creatures are and eat anything I can find there.
The corpses appear to be primarily concentrated under the dead cat.  - Untelligent
Mental Health 6/6. You easily comfort yourself knowing that Paranatural's Hot Stubble And Deliciously Unwashed Armpits will be  waiting for you whatever happens.

maxicaxi

• Bay Watcher
  • Why? I have no idea.
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: May 12, 2010, 11:09:33 am »

My actions will be: Investigate the smaller yellow creatures, eating everything edible in the way I happen to bounce into, and prepare for distraction and salvage if others decide to attack.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 02:51:01 am by maxicaxi »
I have absolutely no idea what's going on in this fort any more. Migrants arrive, they die for some reason, the fort is flooded for another reason, then dwarves go mad, more dwarves die and I'm just laughing in my distress.
you cannot defeat the potato.

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: May 12, 2010, 12:34:57 pm »

My actions will be: Investigate the smaller yellow creatures, eating everything edible in the way I happen to bounce into, and prepare for distraction and salvage if others decide to attack.
All generalizations are false....including this one.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: May 12, 2010, 01:22:41 pm »

Move to the yellows, eating anything I can on the way.  If I have to ram it first, fine.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: May 12, 2010, 01:34:40 pm »

Just an idea of mine here, I was thinking that maybe I could try to draw your creatures as well as mine? Maybe separately since it will be harder for me to make them look good in a small space since I have issues with fine motor control. Doing them individually on Paint.NET will be easier for me as I can look at it as a bigger whole.

I'm not planning on doing a drawing for everybodys creature every time it mutates or reaches a major evolutionary point as I wanted to just do mine. Since I'm going to have alot of free time soon since my class is ending, I just thought I'd do this for fun.

I already have an idea of how the creatures look like, now that they aren't just a single cell anymore, and yes I'll put carp-style barbels on yours maxicaxi :) . Not exactly sure about Paranatural's creature with the tiny fins all over and what that would look like.

If you guys don't want me to draw yours, I'll respect that.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 01:38:00 pm by smjjames »

NoctisVampire

• Bay Watcher
  • Has withdrawn from society.
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: May 13, 2010, 10:20:16 am »

Feel free to do that :)
I would have done things like that a lot if only I have any artistic talent, a scanner, or a tablet computer :D
Drawing with mouse in Paint or GIMP simply doesn't work for me...

maxicaxi

• Bay Watcher
  • Why? I have no idea.
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: May 14, 2010, 07:29:20 am »

Just an idea of mine here, I was thinking that maybe I could try to draw your creatures as well as mine? Maybe separately since it will be harder for me to make them look good in a small space since I have issues with fine motor control. Doing them individually on Paint.NET will be easier for me as I can look at it as a bigger whole.

I'm not planning on doing a drawing for everybodys creature every time it mutates or reaches a major evolutionary point as I wanted to just do mine. Since I'm going to have alot of free time soon since my class is ending, I just thought I'd do this for fun.

I already have an idea of how the creatures look like, now that they aren't just a single cell anymore, and yes I'll put carp-style barbels on yours maxicaxi :) . Not exactly sure about Paranatural's creature with the tiny fins all over and what that would look like.

If you guys don't want me to draw yours, I'll respect that.

drawing=epic!!! DO EET
I have absolutely no idea what's going on in this fort any more. Migrants arrive, they die for some reason, the fort is flooded for another reason, then dwarves go mad, more dwarves die and I'm just laughing in my distress.

Knight85

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: May 14, 2010, 08:10:03 am »

Rolls are final numbers after modifiers.

Spoiler: Frelock (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: smjjames (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Paranatural (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: NoctisVampire (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Toaster (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: maxicaxi (click to show/hide)

All of the cells decide to swim over to the school of little creatures buzzing around and find out what is going on with them. They seem to get a little spooked by smjjames constant color changing, but aren't yet hostile.  Frelock gets the wrong idea and decides to "distract" them with his tail.. *flash*

This serves to whip up the little group of yellow creatures into a frenzy, and now you have the undersea equivalent to an angry swarm of bees. You think you count about 7 of them, all pretty small cylinder shaped and moving around with some sort of water jet propulsion. And just like a bee, they have a spiked "stinger" on what looks to be their back end. You suspect this might just be poisonous.

So now you have an angry swarm of "bees" at hand, just how are you going to handle this?  If one creature gathers their attention, it might help the others, but put itself in danger..

*Man you guys had some crappy rolls, I had intended to for this to be the first major threat to the lives of some of your cells, but your rolls dug the hole a little deeper*  Might want to think a little creatively with how you coordinate your actions on this one. 

-2 RTD: Frelock,NoctisVampire
-1 RTD: Paranatural,smjjames
+2 Attack: maxicaxi

Turn 14
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 08:53:00 am by Knight85 »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: May 14, 2010, 10:18:43 am »

Maybe instead of confronting those, we should RUN! or rather SWIM LIKE HELL AWAY! And considering the bad rolls we got....

Also, to repeat, I'm suppoused to have 6 tentacles total, three on either side of the head.

I'll leave running like hell as a reserve option, but now that I've thought about it for a bit, I think i have an idea.

1. Maxicaxi swims just ahead of us and unleashes his biological flashbang (minus the bang), that way if he overshoots, he is less likely to paralyze all of us.

2. Not sure what the herbivores can do, but I know what the carnivores should do. Toaster, ram full speed into the group, given their small size, that will either seriously wound some and maybe kill a few. Since I'm the only one with a mouth weapon at this point (and in the proccess of evolving primitive jaws at that. Toaster and Maxicaxi, it might be a good idea to evolve mouth weapons ASAP), chomp away at the creatures. I have enough damage that I could probably kill one without a crit. I guess Maxicaxi could get at any open wounds or something. At the same time, we can eat any meat and DNA since we're going to have to heal on the fly if we get stung.

3. Perhaps the herbivores can be on healing duty and/or distraction duty? We should be able to heal ourselves with any food reserves, although I'm the only carnivore with significant food reserves atm.

Edit: Knight85, shouldn't Toasters head shield count as one point of armor in his stats?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 10:58:02 am by smjjames »

Knight85

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: May 14, 2010, 10:58:12 am »

It only counts as armor against defensive weapons when he is attacking. Not a full armor. AKA, he's less likely to impale himself on a spike while ramming :)

Remember, these things are smaller than you, but fast. Getting away is possible, but not all of you will necessarily make it.

Ill make a change to the tentacle description, but as far as practical application, they still function the same as your previous pseudopods. Pretty much just for grabbing. A little hint, with two damage, if you get a hit you're going to get a kill.

1. Maxicaxi swims just ahead of us and unleashes his biological flashbang (minus the bang), that way if he overshoots, he is less likely to paralyze all of us.

Now thats thinking :)  Assuming Maxicaxi agrees, an overshoot would likely end up as a good overshoot.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 11:06:27 am by Knight85 »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: May 14, 2010, 11:06:52 am »

Ill make a change to the tentacle description, but as far as practical application, they still function the same as your previous pseudopods. Pretty much just for grabbing.

Okay cool, thanks. I knew the function wouldn't change, just wanted to get the description right.

Now thats thinking :)  Assuming Maxicaxi agrees, an overshoot would likely end up as a good overshoot.

Yea, I really don't want a repeat of what happened previously.

Paranatural

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: May 14, 2010, 11:26:38 am »

Even with a 5 herbivores are pretty much useless at doing anything other than distraction. I was trying to get enough food/DNA to mutate a weapon/defense system but it there doesn't seem to be anything for herbivores around here.

I guess we could try and make with the whole 'distract' thing again. I have 4 health so even if I get an overshoot and they hit me I should be able to survive a round. Unless they all hit.
The corpses appear to be primarily concentrated under the dead cat.  - Untelligent
Mental Health 6/6. You easily comfort yourself knowing that Paranatural's Hot Stubble And Deliciously Unwashed Armpits will be  waiting for you whatever happens.

maxicaxi

• Bay Watcher
  • Why? I have no idea.
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: May 14, 2010, 11:45:48 am »

Ill make a change to the tentacle description, but as far as practical application, they still function the same as your previous pseudopods. Pretty much just for grabbing.

Okay cool, thanks. I knew the function wouldn't change, just wanted to get the description right.

Yea, I really don't want a repeat of what happened previously.

IMA FIRING MY LAZORZ BLARGH

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: May 14, 2010, 01:37:46 pm »

2. Not sure what the herbivores can do, but I know what the carnivores should do. Toaster, ram full speed into the group, given their small size, that will either seriously wound some and maybe kill a few. Since I'm the only one with a mouth weapon at this point (and in the proccess of evolving primitive jaws at that. Toaster and Maxicaxi, it might be a good idea to evolve mouth weapons ASAP), chomp away at the creatures. I have enough damage that I could probably kill one without a crit. I guess Maxicaxi could get at any open wounds or something. At the same time, we can eat any meat and DNA since we're going to have to heal on the fly if we get stung.

3. Perhaps the herbivores can be on healing duty and/or distraction duty? We should be able to heal ourselves with any food reserves, although I'm the only carnivore with significant food reserves atm.

If more people agree with this, then I'll definetly go for this one since we have the healers to keep us alive. Whether the plan works or not depends alot, if not entirely, on maxicaxis lazor getting a good roll, and his attack boost for this turn means that the worst he can roll and still overshoot is a 4. So there is a very good chance of this working.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 24