Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Is it just me or is 31.XX alot better than the D## series FPS wise.  (Read 1745 times)

C4lv1n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I can usually run DF at 120FPS when I have my average number of creatures (20 Dorfs, 6-10 cows, 3-4 dogs, and 1 cat), with D19 it stayed around 90. I was even draining half a volcanoe into an ocean, and I maintained 100FPS the whole 3 seasons it took to drain and solidify. I don't even have the accelerator installed.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 08:31:11 pm by C4lv1n »
I've played a guitar with my penis.

Bishop36

• Bay Watcher
  • It is known.
    • View Profile
Re: Is it just me is 31.XX alot better than the D## series FPS wise.
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 08:30:34 pm »

I noticed this as well. It could be because I am starting on smaller embarks and making more vertical forts. But I would think that all the extra z-level-goodness would counteract the difference between a 4x5 and a 3x3 embark
"Things that make noise should never be sold to small children. Only adults can handle that responsibility."

-Justin from Left-Hand Toons

soupcan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is it just me or is 31.XX alot better than the D## series FPS wise.
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 08:34:40 pm »

I assume Toady's done some significant optimization, though I haven't noticed that much of a difference. On the more bonus side, merging the OpenGL stuff in should further increase the framerate, AFAIK.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 08:37:07 pm by soupcan »

Tallefred

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 08:38:34 pm »

It's been running significantly slower for me. Can't wait for the merge.
This is to make me recognizable.

Foxbyte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010, 08:39:55 pm »

Every dwarf I get in 31.xx reduces my FPS by 1. I start at a hundred, at 50 I'm down to 50. :/

At least it's consistent.
There is an engraving of three dwarves in a dining room. The third dwarf is a soaper.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2010, 08:42:09 pm »

I definitely noticed better FPS during rain as well as when I founded settlements next to the ocean, although aside from those two situations most other aspects seemed pretty comparable to previous versions.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2010, 09:35:09 pm »

Seems better on the temporary laptop I've got, worse on my desktop by a bit, and lousy on my friend's laptop (which ought to run it fairly well per system specs as far as I can tell.)

When I get my permanent laptop back I will probably see similar values to this loaner I'm on what with it basically being made of higher performance everything while being very similar in other regards.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

stormyseasons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2010, 09:39:15 pm »

Considering my poor little laptop, and the inefficiency of the fan at keeping the processor at proper temperature...

As good as the D##. Considering that now in every embark, I'm guaranteed a magma source, lots of ore, and at least one cavern layer, including Fun stuff if I didn't remove the option in worldgen. That said, my current glacier fort which has tapped the first cavern layer, and is adjacent to a artic ocean, with temperature and weather turned on, moves at a fair clip on my laptop - i.e., at embark, 100FPS, my FPS limit. Previously in the 40D less than 100 at embark, what with the wave action.... Faster on a desktop, because all the home desktops have faster processors and more RAM anyway...
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper GOLD - 475+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2010, 09:57:08 pm »

What the hell? My fps fell off a freakin cliff with the new release. I got really frustrated if fps was below 100 in 40d11+, and I get 30fps at disembark in 31.XX
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2010, 10:01:38 pm »

After a few tests I found that DF2010 performs incredibly well for having twice (or more) times the z-levels. An equivalent tile count to an old 6x6 embark resulted in about half the performance. 420 fps versus 200ish.

I'm curious why the standard regions tend to have half the z-levels as an island... I can't see anything that'd cause that, other than some worldgen setting.

Can't wait for the 40d# merge though, performance should skyrocket.

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
  • The Answer is always POUR MAGMA ON IT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2010, 10:10:27 pm »

2010 was much much slower than 40d for me right off the bat.

for anyone who's having fps woes, i would recommend checking this out:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=51957.0
apparently doesn't work for everyone, but more than doubled my fps

Shiv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2010, 11:00:36 pm »

Naw I get worse FPS with the 31 series.  Though the Accelerator did help a bit, but not to 40d standards.
I still don't think I'm crazy enough to play this game properly.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2010, 11:37:16 pm »

Yep, definatly seeing an improvement in 31 over d18, at least in my low pop forts. I haven't gotten a 50+ dwarf fort yet to compare the higher range, but I am quite happy. The merge and running natively can only improve things.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

DarkDragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2010, 01:00:54 am »

I think some of the reason people are noticing better performance prior to the graphical merge is that a lot of people were using the d-series versions on ATI cards. The people in charge of coding the D# series have outright said that ATI users are not their concern and are screwed.

I too have noticed better performance in 31.X versions than I did in the 40d versions, and I use an ATI card.

Sadly, the developers in charge of the graphical coding of the game seem un-interested in providing support for ATI, and when I asked about it I was more or less told to "deal with it" or "get an NVidia card". Translation to me was "we don't care about ATI users getting bad performance"

I suspect when the graphical merge is complete my performance will go down the tubes again, since I'm on ATI and have no intention of switching hardware for this game.

Narmio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2010, 01:15:19 am »

The people in charge of coding the D# series have outright said that ATI users are not their concern and are screwed.

Let's be honest here, that's not true.  Baughn said, if I recall, that ATI didn't follow some standards with some of their implementations, and that he wasn't going to learn to do things "The ATI way" to optimise for their hardware.  Not when they were the ones to follow non-standard practices, not him.

So rage if you will, but at ATI, not at those who are volunteering their time and knowledge free of charge to make this game better.
Pages: [1] 2