Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Breeding Stock From Elves  (Read 1970 times)

Yiab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Breeding Stock From Elves
« on: April 25, 2010, 07:02:30 pm »

I've had a bunch of animals purchased from elves for a while, now. I've kept them hooked to ropes/chains next to each other, and while the domestic animals I brought with me have given birth several times, the animals I bought from elves haven't even once (yes, I've made sure there are both male and female of the same species). Since I seem to be suffering from a bug where I never get a baron (and therefore, have no dungeon master), I was hoping to use elven trade to raise my stock of animal types.

According to the wiki, animals bought from elves don't breed at all. Is this true? If so, is there any way to change it in the raws?

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Breeding Stock From Elves
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 07:13:24 pm »

So, does that mean Bob Barker is an elf?

Bishop36

• Bay Watcher
  • It is known.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 07:18:30 pm »

I thought this was going to be about force-breeding elves.  :-\
"Things that make noise should never be sold to small children. Only adults can handle that responsibility."

-Justin from Left-Hand Toons

PopeRichardCorey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 07:19:41 pm »

Come to think of it, the only time I've seen them breed is War Grizzly Bears, which I had to retrain myself...  Maybe only animals you train/retrain can breed in this context?
And when you build your fortress walls from the bones of skeletal elephants, slain my weapons forged from melted goblin plunder, fed on cattle that graze on grass that blinks.  Then, you will know dwarfdom.

ElthMysterius

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Musician
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010, 07:24:55 pm »

Seems highly unlikely that the elves would spay and neuter their animals, what with being friends of nature and all.

Then again, they stick them in cages and ship them off to murderous dwarves, so maybe it makes sense.
"Strike the earth!"
"A section of the cavern has collapsed"
"Your fortress has crumbled to its end"
Yeah, in the future you probably shouldn't strike the earth quite so hard

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2010, 07:31:53 pm »

In 40d, elf-source animals breeded like normal. Not sure if DF2010 changed that and if so, if that's a bug or feature.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Holy Mittens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2010, 09:39:39 pm »

Are the animals marked as Stray? Because there's a bug where elves bring you tamed Exotics and the Exotics don't have the Stray tag, so you can't butcher them and things. That may be the cause.

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2010, 09:46:38 pm »

Are the animals marked as Stray? Because there's a bug where elves bring you tamed Exotics and the Exotics don't have the Stray tag, so you can't butcher them and things. That may be the cause.

I have Stray War Dogs from my own fort and War Leopards I trained from elf purchase, so no they don't have stray. Don't you just need a dungeon master? 
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2010, 05:30:49 am »

Hi!

In 40d, black bears (untrainable) and grizzly bears (trainable) both bred without problems. I think wolves also bred. However, giant eagles would NOT breed.

In 31, I have bought a lot of giant felines, an alligator, giant eagles, and elephants. Thus far, only the elephants have been breeding - it seems that giant tigers/war giant tigers do not care to do so.

As for butchering animals that are not listed in the Animal list in the status screen - simply 'v'iew the unit and access their labors: you can set an animal to be slaughtered from there.

Deathworks

endimiao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2010, 06:56:36 am »

There are some animals that do not breed. Giant Tigers do breed though, at least according to the raws.
Also, oddly enough,
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Firehound

• Bay Watcher
  • !!human!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2010, 07:05:40 am »

I can personally say this rumor is false. Though I have not seen any eaglets yet, there are a few grizzly bear cubs and brown bear cubs around my fortress.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

NFossil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2010, 07:30:47 am »

Come to think of it, the only time I've seen them breed is War Grizzly Bears, which I had to retrain myself...  Maybe only animals you train/retrain can breed in this context?
Yeah, had to train them to fight LIKE DWARVES! Perhaps elven war bears just walk around annoying stuff.

Scribble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2010, 09:15:08 am »

I am a great fan of building zoos by caging varius animals in glass walled pits then releasing them. So far I've found that big cats, simians, mountain goats, and aligators don't breed ( usually 3-4 of both gender in a two by 2 room) Elephants breed like crazy however and it is my dearest wish to force breed albino cave mamoths.

Jong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2010, 09:41:31 am »

I thought you needed a dungeon master to breed certain exotic pets?

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2010, 11:49:26 am »

speaking of which, I had the option to choose my baron/baroness, but I have yet to have a dungeon master show up.  I am playing the latest version.

Not a big deal... One thing I did want to do is butcher some of those animals I bought and I don't have the option, so they are sitting in cages.

Also, any ideas what I should do with all the tame monarch butterflies, toads, bluejays, and fluffly mumpkins (or whatever they are called) that I seem to be accumulating?
igless
Pages: [1] 2