Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Way to disable goblins ambushes?  (Read 3502 times)

Chroniss

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Way to disable goblins ambushes?
« on: April 25, 2010, 05:57:07 pm »

Is there some game file I can edit to just stop goblin ambushes or change goblin equipment?  They come every few months with like 10-15 goblins in full iron gear.  Fighting them head on is suicide (I have full iron gear as well but I guess my skills aren't as good as theirs because I lose) so i just build tons of cage traps and trap them all.  The problem is I spend 90% of my time building replacement traps, and I am up to about 30 caged goblins now and its just rinse and repeat....not fun.

I would rather just stop their ambushes...I have such an awesome underground map (open caverns with trees, lakes, then magma and bottomless pits below that) and I just want to explore that without this annoying goblin stuff. 

Right now they just killed a child who was wandering outside and now the forts entering a tantrum spiral because of it, I can recover but its a recovery to just repeat the same thing over and over and over...there has to be a way to stop this.

Chroniss

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Way to disable goblins ambushes?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 06:08:12 pm »

I tried restarting btw...I can't believe the map I got my first time around, It's forested with water and neutral against a mountain.  Half the way down it opens up to a massive underground cavern with all sorts of species and a huge underground lake with trees and food.  Below that it becomes solid rock again, and then about 5 more levels down the magma starts and then theres eerie pits and demons and really cool stuff.  All the maps I restarted too have rock...rock...rock...and that's about it.  I don't want to abandon the fortress but the goblin stuff is making it almost unplayable.

Quantum Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • Schrödinger's Breakfast
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 06:11:25 pm »

Not sure if it still works the same way in the new version, but in 40d you open up data\init\init.txt and look for a bit that says [INVADERS:YES]. I think you can guess what to change it to.
That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 06:11:35 pm »

Set invaders to no in the init file.
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

Chroniss

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010, 06:17:20 pm »

Thanks guys, that's really simple and I looked through the .ini that but didn't see it.  Gonna go try it out for a year and see if it takes affect.

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
  • A Dwarven Demon, yeah, he is pissed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2010, 08:12:59 pm »

If you removed the Invaders tag,  wouldn't hostile races that are underground stop attacking you? What about the endless waves of trolls? Would they stop coming?
huh. took a bunch of sleeping pills and slept in a pharmacist, wake up, i am now albino. 
Story of my life.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2010, 11:02:18 pm »

If you're OK with regenning, and only want to remove ambushes while leaving sieges intact, replace the goblin (civ)'s [BABYSNATCHER] and (creature)'s [INTELLIGENT] tags with [CAN_LEARN] and [CAN_CIV] in the creature RAW.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2010, 05:25:29 am »

Hi!

If you removed the Invaders tag,  wouldn't hostile races that are underground stop attacking you? What about the endless waves of trolls? Would they stop coming?

I have been playing with INVADERS OFF for most my time in 31, and that has not stopped a troll from attacking my dwarves. At least what is underground right from the start on will be ready to get back at you. But I don't know about their respawning, though.

INVADER OFF will block goblins, kobolds, and forgotten beasts.

Deathworks

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2010, 06:25:43 am »

There is nothing that cannot be solved with cage traps.

Even uncagable enemies. Your dwarves will pass out and be saved by the nigh-unbreakable escape capsule, where they can wait until the beast has moved on and friends rescue him!
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

endimiao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2010, 06:49:10 am »

According to research being made in the weapons research thread any metal armor is good enough to stop iron.. but only bronze and steel pierces iron effectively.

So, if you want to kill goblins with ease, aim for bronze or better weapons while keeping your iron suits.

Chroniss

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2010, 02:42:01 pm »

If you're OK with regenning, and only want to remove ambushes while leaving sieges intact, replace the goblin (civ)'s [BABYSNATCHER] and (creature)'s [INTELLIGENT] tags with [CAN_LEARN] and [CAN_CIV] in the creature RAW.

I'm going to try this, thanks for pointing it out.  I did not know that this new version makes every underground game interesting, because I went back to the previous version and tried like 6 times to find a fun underground area and that's why I didnt want to regen. 

Now that every game has this underground stuff I think I will restart, and this is more what I am looking for, to stop the annoying nonstop ambushes (4 at once in my current game, swords, crossbows,whips, and a bunch of slaves all at the same time) but keep the fun siege and invasions intact.

Also I did some creature testing in the arena and I see what you are saying about weapon types, iron vs iron doesnt do much damage, but once you go up a tier it slaughters the opponents.  I had one goblin kill a dragon/cyclops/other beasts by himself just because he had steel.  I'm going to focus on ironing up and like you said, equipping steel weapons to slice through their armor quick.

Although I have to say I think the equipment focus is nice, but too radical in its current implementation.  One goblin in all iron vs 10 dwarves in all copper...goblin won without much effort, and the ganging up should account for massive damage IMO.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2010, 02:50:19 pm »

The invaders tag in the init will prevent sieges, ambushes, babysnatchers, thieves, and even megabeasts.

It will not prevent the local ambient wildlife from showing up, even if the local ambient wildlife happens to be skeletal cave crocodiles.

Zuboki

• Escaped Lunatic
  • ...*gasp*...*gasp*...*gasp*...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2010, 05:52:28 pm »

Assuming you haven't reset already, you could rebound into an excellent military. You need to completely close your fortress off to the outside world (walling it off) for a little bit- hopefully you are self-sufficient enough, if not start farming- and then go into the stocks and de-forbid and dump all equipment attached to the goblins. You can then equip as many dwarves as possible with this equipment, preferably haulers and those with combat skills, and station them all next to your cage stockpile. Let the unequipped gobbos out one by one until all are dead, and have your mechanic restock whatever cage traps are accessable with the empty cages. This should give you a large, moderately trained military, that, if managed correctly, can outnumber and kill most ambush squads. It is important that you try to engage them underground or in an enclosed to minimize archer effectiveness and allow for the wounded to be recovered easily.

Chroniss

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2010, 07:21:06 pm »

Assuming you haven't reset already, you could rebound into an excellent military. You need to completely close your fortress off to the outside world (walling it off) for a little bit- hopefully you are self-sufficient enough, if not start farming- and then go into the stocks and de-forbid and dump all equipment attached to the goblins. You can then equip as many dwarves as possible with this equipment, preferably haulers and those with combat skills, and station them all next to your cage stockpile. Let the unequipped gobbos out one by one until all are dead, and have your mechanic restock whatever cage traps are accessable with the empty cages. This should give you a large, moderately trained military, that, if managed correctly, can outnumber and kill most ambush squads. It is important that you try to engage them underground or in an enclosed to minimize archer effectiveness and allow for the wounded to be recovered easily.

How do you see whats the goblins stuff in stocks?  My stocks for headwear for instance reads 100? 200?

The 100? is brown and the 200? is red.  All the options on the bottom right are greyed out, and the Tab: Mode button does nothing.  I can only see lists if something is less then 10 items.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2010, 07:22:52 pm »

How do you see whats the goblins stuff in stocks?  My stocks for headwear for instance reads 100? 200?

The 100? is brown and the 200? is red.  All the options on the bottom right are greyed out, and the Tab: Mode button does nothing.  I can only see lists if something is less then 10 items.

You need to assign a bookkeeper, give him an office, and have him counting your inventory so you can see the details.