Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Plantfolk Mod *Under Construction*  (Read 4401 times)

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
Re: Plantfolk Mod *Under Construction*
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2010, 08:57:14 am »

OH NO HIS MING EXPLODED
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

turgidtoupee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2010, 09:00:59 am »

Damn keyboards. Would be so much more efficient if it just read the words from my ming.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2010, 09:08:45 am »

MIND=BLOWN. I always assumed it was just some arbitrary value that determined attack power. Time to redo my pokemon mod with weights rather than heights I think.

Well, pokemon always seemed to have pretty bizarre weights. I mean Onix was 28 feet long, and made of rock, but only weighed about 400 pounds or something, instead of around 8-10 tonnes like it ought to. Gyrados and Snorlax were pretty bizarre too - should at least be a couple of tonnes each. Wailord could feasibly be pushing 100 tonnes, but is around 400 kg.

Actually when you consider how light they are, and how they're supposed to be able to withstand attacks that can melt glaciers, and level mountains, I guess that pokémon can only be made from adamantine.

turgidtoupee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2010, 09:24:47 am »

MIND=BLOWN. I always assumed it was just some arbitrary value that determined attack power. Time to redo my pokemon mod with weights rather than heights I think.

Well, pokemon always seemed to have pretty bizarre weights. I mean Onix was 28 feet long, and made of rock, but only weighed about 400 pounds or something, instead of around 8-10 tonnes like it ought to. Gyrados and Snorlax were pretty bizarre too - should at least be a couple of tonnes each. Wailord could feasibly be pushing 100 tonnes, but is around 400 kg.

Actually when you consider how light they are, and how they're supposed to be able to withstand attacks that can melt glaciers, and level mountains, I guess that pokémon can only be made from adamantine.

Does the bodysize actually change anything in-game? I'm fairly sure it affects attack power, but I can't actually be sure.

Tinker Thinker

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRESSES_BUTTONS:RED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2010, 11:22:28 pm »

Mild frustration: There's no way to make any of the entity stuff caste-specific, is there?

Things I am considering: Making them alcohol dependent. Alcohol could be pretty good fuel, so it might be that with straight water they're not getting enough, and become sluggish. . .

Another thing I am trying to sort out: I don't want the non-combat castes being in the sieges as much as possible. This shouldn't be an issue for the Walker, who will have a very low population percentage, and they can certainly soak up some damage (even if the damage you cause will be fatal fairly early in the fight), but the Slider will be a problem. They're meant to hold a significant section of the populace, but I really don't want them taking part in sieges if it can be helped. If it can't, then there should be a way to ensure they're armed properly when they head into a siege.

Also, does anyone know if size will affect Sliders' hauling speed much? I don't want them being lightning fast and suddenly crawling slower than the walkers under the burden of their <steel table>.

Which brings me to another thing: There's bound to be a way to make fire above and beyond the most dangerous thing a Plantfolk can face.

Some comparison tables with the currently existent races (based on certain assumptions):
Size:
Slider - Just under one kobold.
Thresher - Dwarven
Snapper - Human
Walker - Maybe 130-170% Human size.

Speed:
Slider - two (maybe three) urists
Snapper - 1.1 urists (justification: Encourage their rapid attacks)
Thresher - .95 urists (justification: They will more than likely end up tougher than the average dwarf. Just a slight nerf).
Walker: .5-.6 urists - maybe less, depending on their efficiency.

Specials:
Thresher will not have an easily severable "head", Slider will.
Snapper's bite is poisonous. - Want to find a way to get it to use weapons /and/ bite attacks. Snapper's defenses will leave something to be desired (which is intended). The poison will likely be necrotic.
Walker will have absurd defenses (multiple layers of bone-tough defense to work your way through), but if grievously injured are probably best fed to the magma pipe. Will live 300yrs minimum if left to their own devices. I'm trying to find a way to make them very attractive workers in addition to their nice investment bonuses.

Saprolings:
I don't want to call them this, but they will be basically mouths with bodies, with strong bite attacks. They'll move quickly, but they're going to have absurd turnover rates. High birthrate will offset this. You'll definitely be wanting to use these guys, if only to protect your framerate from a saprolingsplosion - And to avoid manipulating this, there isn't much point to butchery.
Wurms: Obviously, we'll have to have some mounts for these guys. Only a wurm would be heavy-duty enough to carry the odd walker into battle, and that would be a sight to behold, I should think.

Looking for ideas for further plant races, if they can be worked in. Also looking for ideas for special plant weapons.
Does anyone else find my avatar looks crooked?

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2010, 11:24:45 pm »

MUSHROOM MEN.

YOU MUST MAKE AN ANATOMICALLY CORRECT MUSHROOM AND ADD LIMBS

YES, I LOVE CAPSLOCK
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Odd!x

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2010, 11:45:49 pm »

this stuff is great! I've always loved plant people :)

I will watch this thread.
We are who we are, depending on who we were.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2010, 01:31:08 am »

Which brings me to another thing: There's bound to be a way to make fire above and beyond the most dangerous thing a Plantfolk can face.

Oh that's easy! Just make them more flammable! Remembering that tissues are made from materials, and materials have propertys like how flammable it is, make the plant tissue FREAKISHLY flammable. Borrow some values from coal or something...

Ya'll don't realy want it
Don't realy want it
You'll don't realy want it with me!

*Prays somebody gets the reference*

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2010, 01:44:59 am »

Things I am considering: Making them alcohol dependent. Alcohol could be pretty good fuel, so it might be that with straight water they're not getting enough, and become sluggish. . .

This fits fairly well, think Ent draught from the LotR books.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2010, 02:13:17 am »

So, planning on making any of them shoot deadly pollen?

Tinker Thinker

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRESSES_BUTTONS:RED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2010, 05:23:50 am »

@Max White: I've been thinking about range/breath weapons for them. But, I haven't been able to settle on a good one that would fit with a new race. It may be, if nothing comes up, a second update.

Also, I thought of something that would make Walkers more attractive as workers: Don't have to train up the conversationalists so much so often.

Vattic has sealed their boozing fate.

I don't really know about making plain mushroom men. . . I do want to make a mushroom-based one, though.
Does anyone else find my avatar looks crooked?

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2010, 05:34:26 am »

Well if it lets you sleep tonight, mushrooms and a fungi, not a plant. They come from compleatly different kingdoms of living creatures.

Vertigon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2010, 06:05:02 am »

Slider: Smaller, lighter creatures, with no actual legs, instead moving with a snakelike propulsion system*. This simplicity of motion makes them very quick, but they are not suited to combat. These are best at doing repetitive, high motion tasks. Farming, hauling, brewing, composting.
Proposed tile: L (mean to evoke their body shape)
Proposed construction: scoot along on their lower body, maybe give them four arms for extra hauling capacity, if that would make a difference. Will also use the brain core piece.
*The idea, currently, is this: They lower a forward point of their lower body, and retract the backpoint of their lower body, creating a mossy rolling motion. They can do this at very high speed, of course, and don't have to worry terribly much about tripping and such.

Just throwing something out there, maybe they should be a Z.

Odd!x

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2010, 10:57:16 am »

Well if it lets you sleep tonight, mushrooms and a fungi, not a plant. They come from compleatly different kingdoms of living creatures.
I agree with this, but (in my mind anyway) this is a race of creatures that aren't exactly a single race, but more like a small collection of symbiotic races, like the zot fot pik from star control II.  Also keep in mind that irl plants, especially certain trees, have built powerful relationships with different specimens from the fungi kingdom.  It wouldn't be stretching the imagination to have mushroom men, I think.

besides I think that Tinker mentioned already that one of the castes was based off of a mold.
We are who we are, depending on who we were.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2010, 11:01:22 am »

Meh, either way, I hold no objection to mushroom men, just trying to take an obligation away from a modder.
Pages: 1 [2] 3