Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Plantfolk Mod *Under Construction*  (Read 4404 times)

Tinker Thinker

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRESSES_BUTTONS:RED]
    • View Profile
Plantfolk Mod *Under Construction*
« on: April 25, 2010, 02:39:01 pm »

The idea here is to create a civilization composed of a diverse group of sentient, mobile plantforms.

I'll be discussing the actual construction of them later in the post, but first I have something that is actually complete, and I endorse for the usage of any other plantpersonthing:
Plantfolk Mod's directory listing, but the only extant file: the Language.

As described on the page, this currently only contains the file for a Plantfolk language. It was made using DFLang, and operates on certain assumptions about Plantfolk: These are not humanoid plantfolk with a mouth and vocal cords. Instead, these use water dripping in a cavity (which they can reshape at will to modify the sound)  to project certain sharp sounds (t, for instance), as well as to make the ' sound (which can be made yourself by slapping your tongue against the bottom of your mouth. Sounds like droplets.) Then they use branches and leaves to create numerous sibilants and the constant h sounds. This means that they can make long and complex words that are actually impossible for a human to articulate. So you don't have to try.

Now, this civilization will abuse the caste system like a [Redacted].

Some caste ideas:

Thresher: Hulking, shambling masses, with a few combined (i.e., assembled as a rope from several smaller ones) tentacles. These are the most generalized members of the plantfolk, and will be the mainstay of their activity. High incidence rate. Don't be surprised if you start a fortress composed entirely of these.
Proposed tile: &
Proposed construction: four legs, dorf size body. two tentacles for arms and graspers. Maybe have splay-out points and extraneous pieces to increase their combat toughness. Will have a brain core present in the tentacle-side of the body.

Slider: Smaller, lighter creatures, with no actual legs, instead moving with a snakelike propulsion system*. This simplicity of motion makes them very quick, but they are not suited to combat. These are best at doing repetitive, high motion tasks. Farming, hauling, brewing, composting.
Proposed tile: Z (thanks for the suggestion)
Proposed construction: scoot along on their lower body, maybe give them four arms for extra hauling capacity, if that would make a difference. Will also use the brain core piece.
*The idea, currently, is this: They lower a forward point of their lower body, and retract the backpoint of their lower body, creating a mossy rolling motion. They can do this at very high speed, of course, and don't have to worry terribly much about tripping and such.

Neither of these two I've just described will have blood or other complex systems, being moss and fungi based.

Snapper: Descendants of fly-traps, these grew to enormous size, and grew straightforward root legs, due to the increasing prevalence of creatures which are fatal for them to swallow, and are highly suited to combat, with their natural bite being both powerful and poisonous.
Proposed tile: T (for triffid)
Proposed construction: sap blood, they've got a similar shape to triffids, but can use their mouths for grasping objects (by splaying the teeth outward and clamping down tightly), and can wear special armour.

Walker: Colossal, tough creatures, with very slow recuperation, and very low speed. You should be reminded of ents about now. They live for a very long time,  and are rarely born. This makes them perfect for beautiful craftsmanship: You get a great deal for your investment. But they're not good for repetitive, necessary tasks. Essentially, the more movement a task requires (and combat requires a great deal), the less useful they are.
Proposed tile: Y (evokes a tree)
Construction: They're ents. Not that hard to figure. These will use the sap blood as well.

Obviously, these later two will have "skin" and underlying components, to facilitate correct sap leakage.

Workshop: Composting Heap. This can be used to create fodder from wood and other types of ordinarily inedible organic matter. Obviously, you won't have much need for it, but they can eat what they like. It operates on the premise that they already have things composting in there, and operate on an honour system: unit in, take some other unit out.

Weaponry: Aside from natural weapons, the plantfolk will not use highly mechanical weapons, and will prefer to use long, heavy weapons. Ideally, the Slider will be so small, comparatively, that the larger one-handed weapons will be two-handed for them. The Walker will easily be able to use the largest weapons with one-hand, but, again, will be so slow regardless that the enemy can attack multiple times to its once, and they're really a better investment at home.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 09:17:25 pm by Tinker Thinker »
Does anyone else find my avatar looks crooked?

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
Re: Plantfolk Mod *Under Construction*
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 03:34:50 pm »

Sounds pretty ambitious! I'm making some desert-based cactusmen, myself; the language file might be quite useful in that regard. Keep it up!
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 03:38:50 pm »

I'd be interested in seeing how this turns out. Can't help but think of Day of the Triffids.

Picture of one by the original author
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Tinker Thinker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 03:58:20 pm »

The only one that would resemble a triffid is the Snapper. Otherwise, NEAT!

Also, thanks for the feedback. Now if I can just get help on their construction from the other threads, I'm set. I've already got most of the tricky details down, but I don't know all the details of creating /them/ yet.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010, 04:16:53 pm »

I'd be interested in seeing how this turns out. Can't help but think of Day of the Triffids.

Picture of one by the original author

Heh. The sad thing is, I don't think I've ever seen another illustration of a triffid that looked anything like that.

Tinker Thinker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2010, 06:23:59 pm »

Made some further modifications to the top post. I've mostly worked out what traits they'll have in common, but I'm still missing crucial information in Deciphering the Raws and .31 MODDERS WORKSHOP.

Any assistance appreciated, as all assistance brings us closer to The Day of The Plantfolk.

turgidtoupee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2010, 11:06:58 pm »

I like the idea for this mod, it sounds very interesting indeed. I'll try to help with any questions you might have. In general my advice is copy a vanilla creature and change it to suit what you need; think along the lines of a plump helmet man, for instance. As far as I know everything you've proposed should be possible.

Also, be aware creature size is not relative to anything. A dwarf is 60000, a cow is 600000.

Now that I think about it, would these plant creatures be farmable in some way? Like, when they're dead can you harvest their bits for seeds or whatever, and grow some type of crop from them? My imagination is racing just thinking about the possibilities...
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 11:35:17 pm by turgidtoupee »

Von Krieger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2010, 03:54:16 am »

I could've sworn someone said that creature size was, approximately, the average weight of a creature, in grams. So a dwarf is 60kg and a cow is 600kg.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2010, 04:10:12 am »

Hey, why don't you also make a sort of wild animal similar to a Saproling from MtG, simply to accentuate the awesome ideas this mod has?
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2010, 04:11:42 am »

I'm thinking now that we can make creatures shoot solid "gobs" on a substance of our choice, deku shrub anybody?

turgidtoupee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2010, 05:14:06 am »

I could've sworn someone said that creature size was, approximately, the average weight of a creature, in grams. So a dwarf is 60kg and a cow is 600kg.

Makes sense, you could be right.

Tinker Thinker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2010, 05:25:04 am »

Saproling? Why not. To fit their design, they'd be very powerful as far as a default pet goes, but about as tough as a scrap of tissue paper (really, the fewer body parts a creature has, the easier it is to kill them in one blow in this game).

As for basing things off the Plump Helmet Man: In .31.03 MODDERS GUIDE, I've had some results from testing PHM tested against dwarves, which proved that the PHM's issue isn't just training (most people run into a PHM with quite a bit of training), but also that it genuinely is worthless. Which is why I've been looking to simulate wood but improve it to face off with bone.

varkarrus

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity and a knife go well together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2010, 06:54:28 am »

Make them seigers that don't bring any weapons.
Dip Stick! The newest candy! Just dip it, then lick it!
Or try FUBAR! The best chocolate bar ever!
And you can't eat them, either, sadly. Even though it'd make sieges so much more fun; dwarves lining the walls, drooling and carrying sharp knives and forks, ready for the upcoming meals.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2010, 08:34:56 am »

That is right. Size is in cubic centimetres - which is about a gram of flesh.

turgidtoupee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2010, 08:55:10 am »

That is right. Size is in cubic centimetres - which is about a gram of flesh.

MIND=BLOWN. I always assumed it was just some arbitrary value that determined attack power. Time to redo my pokemon mod with weights rather than heights I think.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 09:00:19 am by turgidtoupee »
Pages: [1] 2 3