Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: Affecting the Future  (Read 5775 times)

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Affecting the Future
« Reply #75 on: April 28, 2010, 01:21:18 pm »

they produce it in quantity, everybody does, they're just not as good at shoving it up everyone's ass

They make a lot of money at it though, so I guess that is a plus if you work in films.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 28, 2010, 04:51:27 pm »

America doesn't corner the market on crappy movies by any stretch of the imagination. Hong Kong and Mumbai can shovel out the crap just as well as Hollywood.

Are you insinuating that movies from Bollywood and Chow Yun Fat are bad?

Shame on you!
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 28, 2010, 05:00:32 pm »

Wow.  Chow Yun-Fat is so popular the Chinese movie industry is named after him?  :P

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 28, 2010, 05:08:27 pm »

America doesn't corner the market on crappy movies by any stretch of the imagination. Hong Kong and Mumbai can shovel out the crap just as well as Hollywood.

Shame on you!

Chow Yun Fat, no. Don't get me wrong, I have mad love for Tsui Hark, Stephen Chow, Wong Kar-wai, etc. But there's tons of schlock, exploitation films and crass sex comedies to go around. Ditto for Bollywood.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 28, 2010, 05:28:09 pm »

Bollywood is great, though.

I mean, all the actors are named 'Khan', and are probably all related, but watching a movie where they speak 5 or 6 different languages at a time is just so entertaining!
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 29, 2010, 01:54:00 am »

regardless of it being good or bad, my local cinemas never played any of them.

I'm just saying that even though i know 10 cinemas in my local city, only one of them plays European or Portuguese movies regularly while the other 9 regularly vomit American mainstream crap. It insults and bothers me that American presidential elections had more media coverage in Portugal than the Portuguese abortion suffrage.

(also, I'd like to say that i don't think that everything American or everything mainstream is crap)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 29, 2010, 04:00:53 am »

plays European or Portuguese movies
Damn, let's hope there are no Portugese people reading this.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 29, 2010, 04:33:35 am »

I obviously am. it's harder to find national products than American products, and the fact nobody finds this strange bothers me a bit. Also, I'm the least patriotic person you will ever know and couldn't care less for a film's origin, if only American cultural hegemony wasn't so blatant, but hey, it's not like American culture is being forced on us... or actually it is, but not by america itself, rather by our own media who's too lazy to produce its own intellectually cheap products and prefers to import Brazilian soap operas and American tv series.
My point is, American influence is bad enough already without the American government actively trying to shove it on everybody else's ass.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 29, 2010, 04:36:38 am »

I was just nitpicking on your Portugal=not in Europe slip. Haven't got really anything else to add on the subject.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 29, 2010, 04:42:32 am »

I was just nitpicking on your Portugal=not in Europe slip. Haven't got really anything else to add on the subject.

It seems fairly common for Europeans to say Europe when meaning the rest of Europe, not sure if that is true of elsewhere as well.

Americans get off easier there as they are both American (USA) and American (Americas). (Also the fact they are Americans is a good way to annoy Canadians).
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 29, 2010, 04:47:25 am »

Ah, that! I thought it would be reasonable to separate national movies and movies from the rest of europe, a bit like we can talk about usa and the world, even tough usa is included in the world. But i see how the confusion could arise

ninjaed; and
(Also the fact they are Americans is a good way to annoy Canadians).
canadians, mexicans, brazilians columbian, cubans, peruvians, bolivian, blah blah! canadians have it worse because they can't be "north-american"

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 29, 2010, 04:50:50 am »

I've found something that "the Americans" would love:

You print it on a toilet roll, you see?

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 29, 2010, 06:27:51 am »

is that a... toiletisphere?

cganya

• Bay Watcher
  • Commander Anya Snow
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 29, 2010, 09:47:00 am »

I'd like to add to the little side topic that my wife gets really annoyed when someone refers to north America but not Mexico. like if the topic was about Mexico and you interjected "well in north America, we do things such and such way)
My current project: Playing through might and magic 6 and posting the videos on youtube.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=136329.msg5003966#msg5003966

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 29, 2010, 09:55:50 am »

well, the usa are at least to the north of mexico, and when i think of mexico i think *central america*. I know it's not really a continent, but meh, europe and asia arent really geological continents either
also usa's monopoly of the american or north-american designation isn't really it's fault, how does your wife designates the inhabitants of the united states of america? "inhabitants of the united states of america"?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7