Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Sealtwinkling, the amazing war grizzly bear (some spoilers)  (Read 4381 times)

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Sealtwinkling, the amazing war grizzly bear (some spoilers)
« on: April 25, 2010, 04:26:45 am »

So a forgotten beast came.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Due to a flaw in my fortress design and his ability to fly he quickly ended up in my workshop district and started chasing my broker.
In the meantime my military commander, who was given the order to kill it, started chasing Crundles.

So the chase continued over some catwalks I had build over a giant undergound sea.
I was pretty certain I would lose that dwarf, before my commander would focus on the order he was given.

But out of nowhere my recently aquired grizzly bear, whom I had trained, charged the beast from the side and they both fell in the underground sea where he continued his relentless assault.
The outcome completely baffled me.

After he came out of the water I checked his wounds.

I just regret that I didn't make more screenshots.

Spong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sealtwinkling, the amazing war grizzly bear (some spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 05:03:55 am »

This is why bears are full of so much awesome win.

Also, I love how cutsey a name he has considering he is a ferocious warrior bear.

Spong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 07:12:21 am »

It only has a taste for giant tortoise blood, no biggie.

Slightly off-topic but has anyone tried taming/training Blind Cave Bears yet? Are they more like Black Bears or Grizzlies in terms of fighting prowess?

Marconius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010, 10:42:10 am »

I should refocus my efforts on capturing some polar bears... hopefully some will actually show up soon...

DwarfMan69

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatred, darkness, and Despair
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2010, 12:08:53 pm »

Slightly off-topic but has anyone tried taming/training Blind Cave Bears yet? Are they more like Black Bears or Grizzlies in terms of fighting prowess?

I'd imagine they're more of "Stand there and die because blind creatures don't attack anything" in terms of fighting prowess, but I've only seen them in adventure mode, so I'm not sure.

atomfullerene

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2010, 12:57:06 pm »

Do you have issues with tame grizzlies guzzling your booze?

Spong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2010, 02:44:24 pm »

I'd imagine they're more of "Stand there and die because blind creatures don't attack anything" in terms of fighting prowess, but I've only seen them in adventure mode, so I'm not sure.

I don't think this is true - if I recall in the last version release Toady said in the notes he had given Blind Cave Bears some trait that means they can sense things and effectively "see" even though they don't have eyes. I forget the name of the trait for now but its in the RAWs.

Holy Mittens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2010, 03:00:20 pm »

[EXTRAVISION]

It lets creatures without eyes still see.

Torchy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2010, 03:01:05 pm »

I don't think this is true - if I recall in the last version release Toady said in the notes he had given Blind Cave Bears some trait that means they can sense things and effectively "see" even though they don't have eyes. I forget the name of the trait for now but its in the RAWs.

Yeah, it's the [EXTRAVISION] tag. I think it's also used for stuff like Magmamen (and Blizzardmen?) who have to move around inside a vision-obscuring substance.
Lack of it is why Pond Grabbers are totally motionless right now, I think.

edit: aw cmon, 45 seconds?

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2010, 03:17:03 pm »

Wait. Wait. Wait.

WAR GRIZZLIES CAN SWIM!?!

This calls for a radical new defense plan for my next fortress. Perhaps a flooding trap, except instead of just flooding, they are also mauled by bears. Or a pit trap into a deep pool of water. Full of bears. Or...

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2010, 03:17:21 pm »

Bears are ferocious fighters. Enough bears and you probably don't even need a military. Be sure to rig up falling traps to pen the goblins in, and then drop the goblins into a pit full of bears.

Hilarity ensues.  :D

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2010, 03:18:21 pm »

Wait. Wait. Wait.

This calls for a radical new defense plan for my next fortress. Perhaps a flooding trap, except instead of just flooding, they are also mauled by bears. Or a pit trap into a deep pool of water. Full of bears. Or...

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2010, 03:44:08 pm »

Wait. Wait. Wait.

Oh, I'm just waiting for the day when dworfs can mount creatures...

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2010, 06:15:30 pm »

Exactly what I was thinking. Dwarven bear cavalry would be the bomb.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: [1] 2