Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Of water, fortifications and alligators  (Read 1209 times)

ManaUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Of water, fortifications and alligators
« on: April 25, 2010, 02:40:00 am »

It has long been known that on occasion creatures will somehow slip passed a fortification in a water (or magma) channel. Some people believe these creatures are pushed through by the current, others believe they can freely swim through. Well at long last, thanks to the testing arena, I think I can provide the answer: Both, in different circumstances.

Here's what I discovered, and how. I assumed control of an aligator in a custom made arena, with water flowing in a horseshoe shape through some fortifications. I quickly discovered that, yes indeed, water can and did push my through fortifications, however I was not able to move through voluntarily. So I thought that settled it, and knowing that only diffusing water I set about creating a creature proof-barrier. The plan was to put it at the bottom of a U-pipe so the water would always be 7/7. But what's this? Now I can swim right through! Apparently if (and only if) the water is 7/7, creatures can simply swim over the fortification.

Also if we assume that fortifications represent castle-wall–style crenelations, swimming over them in deep water isn't necessarily a bug, but the pushing effect shallow running water pretty clearly is.

Unfortunately it is not possible to avoid both of those situations at once. Nor does installing multiple layers of fortifications provide any added protection. Now an interesting question is how these limitations apply to vertical bars, horizontal bars and grates. But those can't be placed the arena, so someone will have to test it in Dwarf Mode, or perhaps Adventure Mode after building special testing area previously.
Akur Akir Akam!

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: Of water, fortifications and alligators
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 02:53:40 am »

Also if we assume that fortifications represent castle-wall–style crenelations, swimming over them in deep water isn't necessarily a bug, but the pushing effect shallow running water pretty clearly is.

Maybe not!
Water still has to travel over the fortifications, and at high enough speed would push things over. This is opposed to bars, that should never allow anything of a certain size through.

Any glitch is the idea of water only 2 deep still going over the fortifications.

ManaUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 03:40:04 am »

Maybe not!
Water still has to travel over the fortifications, and at high enough speed would push things over. This is opposed to bars, that should never allow anything of a certain size through.

Any glitch is the idea of water only 2 deep still going over the fortifications.
I see your point, but it all depends on what shape we imagine the fortifications. If they were kind of a cut-off pyramid (as I have sometimes seen them represented in visualizers) it might make sense that shallow water could get through. Of course they wouldn't be all that hard to climb either... but that's a separate problem I guess.
Akur Akir Akam!

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 04:16:40 am »

I always saw them as a sort of wall that covered the height of 2/3rds the Z level, and had slits cut down large enough to shoot a cross bow through.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010, 10:08:40 am »

I'm fairly sure that what the generic "fortification" tile is meant to represent depends on the context, covering crenelations, "murder holes" or even just a wall that only takes up part of the vertical space in a tile. They might or might not be separated once DF progresses to the beta phase.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2010, 11:56:33 am »

Actually you can push creatures through vertical bars. Build a retractable bridge, and "wall" around it with vertical barrs. Dump a hefty ammount of pets there and pull a lever attached to so said bridge. Some of them will be hurled through the bars.
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

Dekon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2010, 12:30:38 pm »

Actually you can push creatures through vertical bars. Build a retractable bridge, and "wall" around it with vertical barrs. Dump a hefty ammount of pets there and pull a lever attached to so said bridge. Some of them will be hurled through the bars.

This is how dwarves make french fries.