Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Recursive artifact of doooooom...  (Read 2604 times)

Marconius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Recursive artifact of doooooom...
« on: April 25, 2010, 01:00:09 am »

A dwarf with a strange mood has just made this:

It's an artifact... with a gem on it... that has an image on it... of the artifact itself... which has an image on it... of the artifact itself... which has an... *trails off*

I'm surprised the world didn't implode then and there!

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: Recursive artifact of doooooom...
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 01:04:02 am »

Clearly you have never felt the power of the strange mood. Reality bends to ITS will!

Coidzure Dreams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 01:05:05 am »

Dorfs can divide by 0.  Is just the power of the strange mood.

THEIRS ARE THE MOODS THAT WILL PIERCE THE HEAVENS!

ERrr... HELLS!

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 01:08:47 am »

Well, since DF artifacts are magical (word of god here IIRC), the incomprehensible recursion isn't entirely nuts.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010, 01:14:52 am »

When Chuck Norris a dwarf mood does push ups, he doesn't push himself up, he pushes the earth down.

Blackburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2010, 01:28:36 am »

When Chuck Norris a dwarf mood does push ups, he doesn't push himself up, he pushes the earth down.
TRUE DWARVES DO NOT RECYCLE OLD GAGS.

If a dwarf mood requires an entire mountain, it will use that entire mountain, and compress it into something the size of a cow.

Marconius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2010, 01:39:44 am »

This artifact was one of the few that actually didn't require me to run around trying to gather stuff before Urist McMoody went crazy.

The first one was a peasant... he wanted shells... he got a locked door instead. Have fun berserking in there, ha!

The third guy wanted cloth... so I went "Dude, there's a pile of silk over there!" but he just kept shouting "gimme cloth!"... so after pondering for a while, I figured he wanted -plant- cloth! Which gives the same message... how very tricky!

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2010, 01:41:48 am »

If a dwarf mood requires an entire mountain, it will use that entire mountain, and compress it into something the size of a cow.

The point was to draw attention to the awe inspiring nature of the dwarven mood by comparing it to the alleged power of chuck norris by means of a common known joke, not to make use of the joke itself.

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2010, 02:02:45 am »

If a dwarf mood requires an entire mountain, it will use that entire mountain, and compress it into something the size of anything from a ring to a cow.
Fixed.
くコ:彡

Box

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMINHUNTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2010, 01:28:53 am »

If a dwarf has a fell mood but there are no other dwarves, will he cut off a random body part and use it himself?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
You should come inside the box.

Then you'll know what I mean.

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2010, 01:31:33 am »

You've heard of euclidean geometry. This is fractal geometry.
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

Ghavrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2010, 03:52:29 am »

You've heard of euclidean geometry. This is fractal geometry.

"The shortest most fun distance pathing between two points is a straight line through magma."
~Urist McEuclid
Ramps in DF are these sort of hyperdimensional monstrosities capable of allowing you to walk upwards in whatever direction seems plausible at the time

orbcontrolled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2010, 06:05:23 am »

If not, he should, just so you can save a fort with one dwarf left, trying to wait for migrants, and then have your fort crumble to its end because your dwarf had a fell mood and lopped off its own head for the skin and skull.  Even if it would be terribly buggy sounding, it would be totally worth it.
I'm imagining a dwarf making an artifact consisting in part of their own skull, and finishing it before finally keeling over.

Dave Mongoose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2010, 06:37:52 am »

If not, he should, just so you can save a fort with one dwarf left, trying to wait for migrants, and then have your fort crumble to its end because your dwarf had a fell mood and lopped off its own head for the skin and skull.  Even if it would be terribly buggy sounding, it would be totally worth it.
I'm imagining a dwarf making an artifact consisting in part of their own skull, and finishing it before finally keeling over.

You don't get moods if you have less than a certain number of dwarves (I think it might be 10).

On topic: I had one recursive artifact that was a pair of trousers made from rope reed... the description was something like:
"NameIForget", the rope reed fiber trouser
This is a rope reed fiber trouser. On the rope reed fiber trouser is an image of "NameIForget" the rope reed fiber trouser in rope reed fiber.

If the image is made of the same stuff as the trousers and is itself a picture of the trousers, how can you even tell it's there? There's something for the philosopher to think about...

MaDeR Levap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2010, 12:32:42 pm »

You don't get moods if you have less than a certain number of dwarves (I think it might be 10)
Easy. Dwarf got mood, second later rest of fort is killed. Anyway he would went insane because of not fulfilled mood. Any bug with picking himself would be easy to spot, because I cannot imagine how that bug would work only if this dorf be only one alive in fort.

And even if that, this would just crash game. :P
Pages: [1] 2