Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Where are you on the political compass? Economic belief is first, social belief second. Test is here: http://www.politicalcompass.org/test

Left - Authoritarian
Left - Centre
Left - Libertarian
Centre - Authoritarian
Centre - Centre
Centre - Libertarian
Right - Authoritarian
Right - Centre
Right - Libertarian
Other
Don't care to do the test / View poll

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26

Author Topic: Where Are You On The Political Compass?  (Read 41019 times)

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
Re: Where Are You On The Political Compass?
« Reply #345 on: May 05, 2010, 06:50:38 pm »

Aqizzar, thank you. Without that, i could go on with my delusion that delusional Cristian nuts were semi-harmless!

Damn.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: May 05, 2010, 06:51:36 pm »

Still... maybe %0.01 of gun crimes...
I also vote to legalize rape because it only happens to .01% of women and that is acceptable.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: May 05, 2010, 06:53:31 pm »

And you would say exactly the same thing about any other list of incidents.  0.01% does add up you know.  I'm sure every one of those doctors killed in their home by an assassin they never saw with a perfectly legal weapon takes great solace in your insistence that ownership of a handgun and good training with it would have protected them from assault.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: May 05, 2010, 07:02:55 pm »

And you would say exactly the same thing about any other list of incidents.  0.01% does add up you know.  I'm sure every one of those doctors killed in their home by an assassin they never saw with a perfectly legal weapon takes great solace in your insistence that ownership of a handgun and good training with it would have protected them from assault.
So you're saying that the "doctors killed in their home" would not have been killed if someone had to do it with a baseball bat instead?  The people that killed them most likely would have done it with whatever weapon they could get their hands on...
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: May 05, 2010, 07:05:25 pm »

Firstly, without any regard to the rest of the debate... saying that something should be given special treatment in terms of regulation since it hasn't been used in crimes previously is fallacious.  It seems kindof like saying "My house has never been broken in to while other houses in my neighbourhood have, therefore I can start leaving my key in the lock".

And... in the grand scheme of things, that IS quite a lot of crimes considering the relative rarity and scarcity of the .50 cal.  Basically... it's a weapon that's VERY useful for taking someone out at a long distance without them noticing.

Quote from: Andir
So you're saying that the "doctors killed in their home" would not have been killed if someone had to do it with a baseball bat instead?  The people that killed them most likely would have done it with whatever weapon they could get their hands on...
And yet you have a far better chance of defending yourself or escaping from some nutter with a baseball bat...

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: May 05, 2010, 07:06:05 pm »

Killing someone by pulling a trigger is completely differnt that bashing there head in while they scream bloody murder.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Oglokoog

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERNET_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: May 05, 2010, 07:07:01 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Gun control is murder by proxy.
So we got monsters above, monsters below, dwarves in the middle and a party in the dining hall. Sounds good to me.
If all else fails, remember one thing:  kittens are delicious, nutritious little goblin-baiters, cavern explorers, and ambush-finders.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: May 05, 2010, 07:09:50 pm »

Killing someone by pulling a trigger is completely differnt that bashing there head in while they scream bloody murder.
Replace baseball bat with cut brake line, cut gas line, fireplace poker... What I'm saying is that those people were killed by someone motivated to kill.  The weapon was an instrument, not the motive.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 07:11:29 pm by Andir »
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: May 05, 2010, 07:13:15 pm »

Guns just make murder easier to do, both in the physical and mental sense.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: May 05, 2010, 07:17:07 pm »

You have something to back that up?  You do know you can be shot in a non-fatal way, right?  Simply being hit by a bullet is not a death sentence.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: May 05, 2010, 07:39:23 pm »

You have something to back that up?  You do know you can be shot in a non-fatal way, right?  Simply being hit by a bullet is not a death sentence.
...So?  It's still a lot easier to kill someone with a gun than it is to get your hands dirty.  Even if the person has a chance to survive being hit by a bullet, that means nothing.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: May 05, 2010, 07:52:31 pm »

...So?  It's still a lot easier to kill someone with a gun than it is to get your hands dirty.  Even if the person has a chance to survive being hit by a bullet, that means nothing.
How exactly does it make it easier to decide to kill someone?  If you've decided to kill someone, you will pick up the tool that makes it easy, sure... but simply having the gun does not place the thought in your head, "I need to kill someone!"

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: May 05, 2010, 07:54:00 pm »

It doesn't.  But it makes that thought a lot easier to turn into reality.

To take an extreme example, would Lee Harvey Oswald have been able to kill JFK with a baseball bat?

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: May 05, 2010, 08:16:43 pm »

To take an extreme example, would Lee Harvey Oswald have been able to kill JFK with a baseball bat?
Probably not a baseball bat, but a fast truck slamming into his open car might have.

I'm done with this conversation btw...

Here are stats detailing the drop in violent crime in America during a time of heavy ordinance purchases and lessening wait times for purchase... (ie: gun sales have been going up the past few years, crime has been going down)

http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/2009prelimsem/index.html
 - http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/2009prelimsem/table_1.html
 - http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/2009prelimsem/table_2.html
 - http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/2009prelimsem/table_3.html

There's plenty of data available if you get your fingers out of your ears.  The previous few posts have been concentrating on single incidents where even one gun could have done the damage.  In order to prevent such a thing, you'd have to totally eliminate every weapon on Earth to prevent these from happening.  Studies show that gun bans raise crime (look at the UK as the major example) and armed citizens deter crime.

For all those trying to follow along on-topic, I'm sorry for aggravating this discussion more than I should have.  I therefore ask you to continue your regularly scheduled thread and I'll be off.  Have a good time.  Again, I'm sorry.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: May 05, 2010, 08:17:59 pm »

The question is, did Lee Harvey Oswald kill JFK? </conspiracy theory>

There might have been a second batter on the grassy knoll...
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26