Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Where are you on the political compass? Economic belief is first, social belief second. Test is here: http://www.politicalcompass.org/test

Left - Authoritarian
Left - Centre
Left - Libertarian
Centre - Authoritarian
Centre - Centre
Centre - Libertarian
Right - Authoritarian
Right - Centre
Right - Libertarian
Other
Don't care to do the test / View poll

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 26

Author Topic: Where Are You On The Political Compass?  (Read 41093 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Where Are You On The Political Compass?
« Reply #255 on: May 01, 2010, 12:44:51 pm »

Rifles are not useful to anyone but hunters and only these who should have them, because, frankly, no one else has a bloody use for them (as stated a few words ago). If they are not useful, why should they be openly available? Hell, you can even buy sniper rifles on the internet.
It is easy for anyone to acquire such a weapon, and that is a risk.

Rifles are, in fact, useful. If an armed individual breaks into my house, a rifle will provide a much more effective deterrent than a frying pan or a threat of lawsuit.

Oh please. If you're going to defend your home against a (as Aqizzar pointed out probably not very professional) burglar, why would you want a rifle? It's considerably less wieldy than a handgun and both does the job just right.

Also, every moron (not literally!) in the USA can get a gun. If they'd require licenses at least, but no...

Because it's more fun to shoot the burglar and anyone for the next 50 yards behind him (give or take a few intervening barriers).

But yeah...for home defense, you optimally want high stopping power, low penetration. It's not like the average home intruder is going to be wearing body armor.

There is a Federal background check for purchasing a firearm, but sadly it's probably less thorough than the one you go through to get hired as a cashier at a Wal-Mart. All it does is check to see if you have a felony. There's nothing to check to see if someone has a history of mental illness, is on anti-psychotic medications, has had a restraining order files against them, etc. And it's pretty much dependent on the merchant being scrupulous enough to refuse to sell if the check comes up red-flagged. (Although ATF routinely audits gun shops to make sure all their paperwork squares up.)

It also doesn't check to see if there's a pattern of stockpiling. That falls to law enforcement and intel, to track gun puchases and try to figure out why that nice little old grandma has bought a dozen AR-15s in the last two months...

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: May 01, 2010, 01:04:43 pm »

Unless I'm mistaken you can buy guns at gun shows with absolutely no checks.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: May 01, 2010, 02:52:35 pm »

Guns shows are considered private sales so no check.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: May 01, 2010, 03:02:24 pm »

It also doesn't check to see if there's a pattern of stockpiling. That falls to law enforcement and intel, to track gun puchases and try to figure out why that nice little old grandma has bought a dozen AR-15s in the last two months...

Because the end-times are coming.

I don't even know why this is an issue.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: May 01, 2010, 04:21:32 pm »

Rifles are not useful to anyone but hunters and only these who should have them, because, frankly, no one else has a bloody use for them (as stated a few words ago). If they are not useful, why should they be openly available? Hell, you can even buy sniper rifles on the internet.

Rifles are, in fact, useful. If an armed individual breaks into my house, a rifle will provide a much more effective deterrent than a frying pan or a threat of lawsuit.

Oh please. If you're going to defend your home against a (as Aqizzar pointed out probably not very professional) burglar, why would you want a rifle? It's considerably less wieldy than a handgun and both does the job just right.

Let us assume that a rifle is the most convenient thing at the moment. The days of "chivalrous" burglary are over; I can't ask him to politely wait while I go purchase a handgun from my local sporting goods store.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: May 01, 2010, 04:53:04 pm »

why did you bought a riffle instead of a handgun then? unless you're a hunter, it's not more useful to you than a handgun, in fact, if youre fighting an armed burglar, you'd better have a better arm than him, and in close quarters one on one combat, a riffle is hardly better than the burglar's handgun

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: May 01, 2010, 05:10:34 pm »

Because the end-times are coming.

I don't even know why this is an issue.

Because stockpiling is often an indication of illegal activity. Either as a straw purchaser, identity theft, or precursor to some armed incident. Moreover, the question becomes how did Grandma *afford* a dozen AR-15s? Straw purchasing and pipelining of guns from the US to points south is a MAJOR issue.

You wanna know why the situation in Mexico is so incredibly fucked up right now? Look no further than the gun dealer in Yuma busted for selling .50 "sniper rifles" that are basically anti-tank rifles with a 2km range. Legal in the US, would be considered military-grade hardware in any other country. Dude knowingly sold three to what he thought were Mexican nationals, but were actually undercover agents. Why? Because he stood to make $150K off three guns. People like that sicken me. They'll gladly sell BFGs to drug cartels, because it's "down there".

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: May 01, 2010, 06:25:54 pm »

why did you bought a riffle instead of a handgun then? unless you're a hunter, it's not more useful to you than a handgun, in fact, if youre fighting an armed burglar, you'd better have a better arm than him, and in close quarters one on one combat, a riffle is hardly better than the burglar's handgun

Because he probably bought it for hunting, simple enough. And it's probably the only gun in his house.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: May 01, 2010, 06:39:35 pm »

Let us assume that a rifle is the most convenient thing at the moment. The days of "chivalrous" burglary are over; I can't ask him to politely wait while I go purchase a handgun from my local sporting goods store.

i just think he forgot what he was trying to say

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: May 01, 2010, 06:57:38 pm »

You wanna know why the situation in Mexico is so incredibly fucked up right now?  stuff

I doubt arms smuggling is Mexico's greatest problem, let alone its only problem.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: May 01, 2010, 08:00:21 pm »

The arm-smuggling is a small problem compared to their gastrointestinal terrorism on American tourists.
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Forumsdwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: May 02, 2010, 05:45:59 am »

What I don't get is why someone would need a freaking hunting, battle or whatever-rifle or shotgun when for simple defence a handgun is completely sufficient.
A shotgun isn't a rifle, hunting, battle, or otherwise.  In fact, a semi-automatic riot shotgun is almost a perfect weapon for home defense.
Unlike a rifle, which fires a single very powerful bullet, a shotgun fires numerous small pellets in a conical arc in front of the weapon.  The width of a shotgun's arc determines the shotgun's stopping power and likelihood of hitting a target at a given range.  The wider the spray, the shorter the shotgun's ideal range.  The riot shotgun goes for a fairly wide, short-range arc perfect for home defense.
The most important characteristic of the shotgun is accuracy, good and bad: good, because with the spread pattern a homeowner is more likely to hit a target just by pointing and shooting, and bad, because the spread will also almost certainly hit things the defender wasn't aiming at.  A final consideration of the way shotguns are aimed is that very little training is required to become nominally proficient.
The semi-auto is just in case your first shot misses.  Within your likely target ranges you're throwing a cone with a diameter somewhere between that of a coffee cup and a dinner plate.  You can still miss.
When we get to penetration versus stopping power shotguns are in a class by themselves.  A shotgun blast has brutally lethal stopping power but doesn't typically penetrate walls or doors, a huge advantage for home defense.  A hunting rifle could well shoot through a wall and hit an innocent bystander.  A 12ga shotgun blast might obliterate a wall, but it probably won't penetrate.  Think of it as a spiked sledgehammer and you've got the right idea.

Funny you should ask how a rifle might be used for home defense.  I happen to know the answer.
On farms they are the best choice for defending people and livestock against predators.
Against human attackers rifles are the best option for defending from cover at long range, a situation which while rare actually does come up during civil disturbances, most famously the LA Riots.  In neighborhoods where property owners were armed the mob turned aside.  Dug in as the defenders were, on roofs or behind vehicles and armed with rifles, the mob was completely outclassed.
"Let them eat XXtroutXX!" -Troas

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: May 02, 2010, 05:50:08 am »

Exactly how often do armed race riots sweep through your neighborhood anyway?

Of course, the biggest baddest gun in the world does absolutely nothing to "protect your home" or whatever if you aren't there to brandish it.  The best home defense solution from the dawn of time to today is still a 75+lbs dog.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: May 02, 2010, 06:02:10 am »

Exactly how often do armed race riots sweep through your neighborhood anyway?

Of course, the biggest baddest gun in the world does absolutely nothing to "protect your home" or whatever if you aren't there to brandish it.  The best home defense solution from the dawn of time to today is still a 75+lbs dog.

unless the bad guys have shotguns themselves...in which case your dog should be wearing kevlar helmet and vest, as well as carry a firearm himself

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: May 02, 2010, 08:51:31 am »

Guns shows are considered private sales so no check.
I don't see how this negates the stupidity of being able to buy guns with absolutely no background checks.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 26