Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Where are you on the political compass? Economic belief is first, social belief second. Test is here: http://www.politicalcompass.org/test

Left - Authoritarian
Left - Centre
Left - Libertarian
Centre - Authoritarian
Centre - Centre
Centre - Libertarian
Right - Authoritarian
Right - Centre
Right - Libertarian
Other
Don't care to do the test / View poll

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 26

Author Topic: Where Are You On The Political Compass?  (Read 41177 times)

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
Re: Where Are You On The Political Compass?
« Reply #180 on: April 28, 2010, 01:47:14 pm »

RedKing:

Part 1, additional E:

Or cut off the 'Mighty and Glorious' US from it's oil reserves around the world. That wouldn't be so difficult. Especially that those oil reserves are mainly not in US ground.
The US has it's own oil... some of it's not as easy to get to though.  It would be plenty to support us while the prices go up and it's replaced with alternatives.  It may even be good for us, IMHO.

If an enormous country can sustain itself on it's territorial-only resources, then it's an Utopia.

And besides, most of your things are Made in China.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: April 28, 2010, 01:51:25 pm »

Nor is ANYONE qualified to make such a statement.  Because, like I said... as soon as that is in place, guns will be manufactured up to that point.  As you said, technology advances have made the assault rifles of yesteryear (shot and ball rifles) futile today.  This is ground you cannot tread because it's a living, moving target.
Er. No.
Not all guns will be manufactured up to that point.
There are already limitations, they just aren't very strict. As you said, your brother's AR-15 was stripped of Full Auto fire. Manufacturer's aren't going to stop making guns that exceed these limits. They sure as hell don't make most of their money from the civilian market anyway.

How do you intend on keeping the dirt air tight long enough to kill it?  Maybe you want to trap them, put them in a glass jar and kill them that way?  It's far easier, cheaper, and environmentally friendly to put a bullet in them.
Fumigation is the most common method of dealing with groundhogs. Personally I've never had to deal with them. However, numerous relatives who live further north have. Fumigation worked just fine for them.

Hold up!  Hold those tanks!  This military base is surrounded by a community.  Don't fire until we can get everyone away.  Thanks for your cooperation!

Invasion ALSO doesn't happen overnight.We'd know if they Chinese were about to launch an invasion. Especially not of a superpower by the next one.
Also again, The likelihood of your scenario, while less than the last. Is still extremely slim, perhaps 3 consecutive lottery wins.

It's good to plan for disaster. However, I don't walk around with a full-body rubber suit on because I know I could be struck by lighting. There is a limit. (That's also about a million times more likely then a Chinese invasion.
I know it's unrealistic, but I can't help but imagine little bearded babies for dwarves. In my mind, they come out of the womb fully bearded. That's how the mother carries them around, too, she just drags them around by the beard or ties it to her belt. When the father's on duty, he just ties their beards together and the baby just kind of hangs there, swinging to and fro with Urist McDaddy's movements.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: April 28, 2010, 01:51:40 pm »

The US has it's own oil... some of it's not as easy to get to though.  It would be plenty to support us while the prices go up and it's replaced with alternatives.  It may even be good for us, IMHO.

If an enormous country can sustain itself on it's territorial-only resources, then it's an Utopia.

You're arguing cost vs supply.  We have tons of oil in Alaska, Southwest states and offshore drilling to sustain our immediate need, but the cost of our labor and the cost to obtain that oil is prohibitive.  Also, some of it is on "protected" land.

We buy most of our goods from China because it's cheaper than having one of us make them.  It has nothing to do with natural resources.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: April 28, 2010, 01:53:21 pm »

RedKing:

Part 1, additional E:

Or cut off the 'Mighty and Glorious' US from it's oil reserves around the world. That wouldn't be so difficult. Especially that those oil reserves are mainly not in US ground.

Another reason why China wouldn't invade. The sheer amount of Metric shit-tons of their product we buy.

Also, China isn't our only source of oil. It's not like we can't make up the difference.
I know it's unrealistic, but I can't help but imagine little bearded babies for dwarves. In my mind, they come out of the womb fully bearded. That's how the mother carries them around, too, she just drags them around by the beard or ties it to her belt. When the father's on duty, he just ties their beards together and the baby just kind of hangs there, swinging to and fro with Urist McDaddy's movements.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: April 28, 2010, 01:53:32 pm »

RedKing:

Part 1, additional E:

Yes, but big-publicity environmentalist groups like the Sierra Club flip whenever drilling is mentioned. I heard something on the radio a while back that Montana has more oil than all of Saudi Arabia. The thing is that the oil is on national reserves, so any drilling there would likely cause a nationwide tantrum spiral.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: April 28, 2010, 01:55:16 pm »

RedKing:

Part 1, additional E:

Yes, but big-publicity environmentalist groups like the Sierra Club flip whenever drilling is mentioned. I heard something on the radio a while back that Montana has more oil than all of Saudi Arabia. The thing is that the oil is on national reserves, so any drilling there would likely cause a nationwide tantrum spiral.

If China INVADES, I think those environmentalist voices are going to lose a bit of their volume.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: April 28, 2010, 02:00:14 pm »

If China INVADES, I think those environmentalist voices are going to lose a bit of their volume.

They don't really need to invade they can just recall some of the national debt instead :)
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: April 28, 2010, 02:01:22 pm »

RedKing:

Part 1, additional E:

And that's a reason to screw with oil of other countries, srsly? :P
SigFlags!
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: April 28, 2010, 02:03:46 pm »

And that's a reason to screw with oil of other countries, srsly? :P

Even the wise Lord Dakoth does not pretend to understand the motives and intentions the Sierra Club. Or the government's decision to pay any attention to them, for that matter.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: April 28, 2010, 02:03:55 pm »

Honestly, I'd just rather we all stop arguing about these extremely unlikely scenarios.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: April 28, 2010, 02:05:27 pm »

Nor is ANYONE qualified to make such a statement.  Because, like I said... as soon as that is in place, guns will be manufactured up to that point.  As you said, technology advances have made the assault rifles of yesteryear (shot and ball rifles) futile today.  This is ground you cannot tread because it's a living, moving target.
Er. No.
Not all guns will be manufactured up to that point.
There are already limitations, they just aren't very strict. As you said, your brother's AR-15 was stripped of Full Auto fire. Manufacturer's aren't going to stop making guns that exceed these limits. They sure as hell don't make most of their money from the civilian market anyway.
Not all of them, but let's say that there is a law stating that no guns can be produced that shoot over 50 rounds a minute.  Now manufacturers are going to create a gun that shoots no more than 50 rounds a minute, but maybe those rounds break apart mid flight to cause the most damage.  They could also begin more research into shot filled bullets... technology will outpace some arbitrary restrictions.

I can't think of the model right now, but there's a rifle (categorized by barrel length) that can be concealed and carried because the barrel was moved back inside the gun.  It looks just like a sub-machine gun, but only fires one round per trigger pull.  Someone created a classification, and a manufacturer worked around it.  That's what happens.

How do you intend on keeping the dirt air tight long enough to kill it?  Maybe you want to trap them, put them in a glass jar and kill them that way?  It's far easier, cheaper, and environmentally friendly to put a bullet in them.
Fumigation is the most common method of dealing with groundhogs. Personally I've never had to deal with them. However, numerous relatives who live further north have. Fumigation worked just fine for them.
The fumigation that you are referring to requires a ton of chemicals and could most definitely harm creatures that were not your intended targets.

Invasion ALSO doesn't happen overnight.We'd know if they Chinese were about to launch an invasion. Especially not of a superpower by the next one.
Also again, The likelihood of your scenario, while less than the last. Is still extremely slim, perhaps 3 consecutive lottery wins.

It's good to plan for disaster. However, I don't walk around with a full-body rubber suit on because I know I could be struck by lighting. There is a limit. (That's also about a million times more likely then a Chinese invasion.

Perhaps you all missed where I put in parenthesis the word "arbitrary"... biological, explosive, and nuclear weapons also do not selectively only kill military as is exemplified by the whole middle east conflict and someone flying a plane into a building.  (I won't even get into the idea that there could have been someone on that plane who could have prevented that incident... because you are all trained to think of guns as "evil" and will likely find an excuse to justify your position.)

Guns, in any shape or form are not evil, bad, forsaken, or otherwise intentional weapons of destruction.  They may have been designed for purposes of war, but so did Radar, X-Rays, rubber, Teflon...heck, even knifes and those purposes do not extend to items created from such technology.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: April 28, 2010, 02:09:11 pm »

Honestly, I'd just rather we all stop arguing about these extremely unlikely scenarios.
As long as you understand that regulation will always be "worked around" and loop-holed to high heavens.  Also, that gun's sole purpose in life (although by design) is not the extermination of man and placing undue restrictions on one such item is ridiculous.  "Sometimes you just want to blow shit up."

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #192 on: April 28, 2010, 02:15:27 pm »

RedKing:

Part 1, additional E:

I'm afraid that's incorrect. The US has very little oil- we've been declining in production since the '60s. If the world stopped sending us oil, we'd see massive disruption within hours.

Luckily, nobody wants to do that, because we would still have a few day's worth of fuel for military use, and we'd be angry.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: April 28, 2010, 02:16:34 pm »

RedKing:

Part 1, additional E:

I'm afraid that's incorrect. The US has very little oil- we've been declining in production since the '60s. If the world stopped sending us oil, we'd see massive disruption within hours.

Luckily, nobody wants to do that, because we would still have a few day's worth of fuel for military use, and we'd be angry.

What is one angry country against whole world :P
SigFlags!

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: April 28, 2010, 02:18:39 pm »

One angry country that spends more on its military than the next fifteen countries combined, that's what.

In This Thread: People who watched Red Dawn too many times, people who never watched Caddyshack, people who think the government gives a fuck about the Sierra Club, people who have no idea what shale is, people who don't watch the news at all.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 26