Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Where are you on the political compass? Economic belief is first, social belief second. Test is here: http://www.politicalcompass.org/test

Left - Authoritarian
Left - Centre
Left - Libertarian
Centre - Authoritarian
Centre - Centre
Centre - Libertarian
Right - Authoritarian
Right - Centre
Right - Libertarian
Other
Don't care to do the test / View poll

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 26

Author Topic: Where Are You On The Political Compass?  (Read 41122 times)

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
Re: Where Are You On The Political Compass?
« Reply #105 on: April 25, 2010, 11:29:24 pm »

Sooooo. Shall we call it a stable time loop and get on with our lives?

Second that. Also...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 25, 2010, 11:30:52 pm »

Even the avatars expire eventually.

Pwnzerfaust

• Bay Watcher
  • It's evolution, baby!
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 25, 2010, 11:31:32 pm »

Sooooo. Shall we call it a stable time loop and get on with our lives?

Second that. Also...

Give an elf a fire and he's warm for a night. Drop an elf in magma and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 25, 2010, 11:35:16 pm »

Economic Left/Right: -0.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.31

I'm the most neutral person on earth. You guys are all extremists :P
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 25, 2010, 11:57:02 pm »

True that, and damn proud of it. Compared to the results of everyone else here, I'm probably among the most radical here.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Pathos

« Reply #110 on: April 26, 2010, 05:38:31 am »

Anyone remember Elf Quest?  Remember when Rayek tries to go back in time to save the first elves from being murdered by cavemen, which would in turn destroy the entire elven race that currently existed?  I liked Elf Quest.  I never did get much past that point though. :(

You know you can read it online, right?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 10:42:47 am by Pathos »

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 26, 2010, 10:21:53 am »

Economic Left/Right: -0.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.31

Nuhuh, that makes you an EXTREME MODERATE.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 26, 2010, 10:28:11 am »

Economic Left/Right: -4.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.74

I look to be just a notch or two away from Gandhi. Which is weird, cause I'm pretty sure Gandhi wouldn't have agreed with a lot of what I answered. That's the problem with aggregating all those dimensions down to two. I could advocate the death penalty for shoplifting, and also advocate free weed for everybody, and it'd average out to "moderate". (Gee, kinda like losing a friend to tragedy and eating in a legendary dining room...)

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 26, 2010, 10:41:02 am »

Economic Left/Right: -5.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.49

Slightly left of the centre of the left/liberal square, I'm not convinced of some of the questions though I'm fairly sure the agree/disagree scale is a little ambiguous for them.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Forumsdwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 26, 2010, 03:13:21 pm »

Giving serial killers parole would be very libertarian, but not even Libertarians want that

I would disagree on it being very libertarian, libertarians, at least those that believe in only negative liberty, would say the killer has violated another's liberty or rights and sacrificed their own.  Most libertarians don't oppose enforcing and protecting those natural rights, so the question of military becomes an iffy one.  How could a libertarian support a police force bringing in a serial killer, if they oppose a force to capture Hitler?  All this test really proves is there's a million different positions out there that shouldn't be simplified on some little graph.
Wow... Libertarians would want to free killers?

I think he's confusing Libertarians with Anarchists.

My original quote:

NOT even Libertarians would want that.

I can make the "not" bigger if necessary ...
"Let them eat XXtroutXX!" -Troas

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 26, 2010, 05:00:40 pm »

Giving serial killers parole would be very libertarian, but not even Libertarians want that

I would disagree on it being very libertarian, libertarians, at least those that believe in only negative liberty, would say the killer has violated another's liberty or rights and sacrificed their own.  Most libertarians don't oppose enforcing and protecting those natural rights, so the question of military becomes an iffy one.  How could a libertarian support a police force bringing in a serial killer, if they oppose a force to capture Hitler?  All this test really proves is there's a million different positions out there that shouldn't be simplified on some little graph.
Wow... Libertarians would want to free killers?

I think he's confusing Libertarians with Anarchists.

My original quote:

NOT even Libertarians would want that.

I can make the "not" bigger if necessary ...
The way it's phrased would say that freeing killers IS a libertarian ideal (which it's not) even though Libertarians (big L) would not want that.  So you are saying that freeing killers is a libertarian aspect... which it's not.  It's very anarchistic as they wouldn't have imprisoned them in the first place.  Libertarians very much understand that you can't have society without some law and oversight... just very little.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Pathos

« Reply #116 on: April 27, 2010, 12:29:08 am »

The way it's phrased would say that freeing killers IS a libertarian ideal (which it's not) even though Libertarians (big L) would not want that.  So you are saying that freeing killers is a libertarian aspect... which it's not.  It's very anarchistic as they wouldn't have imprisoned them in the first place.  Libertarians very much understand that you can't have society without some law and oversight... just very little.

A better example would've been drugs:
Libertarian - Anyone should be allowed to take drugs, as long as they don't hurt someone.
Authoritarian - No one should be allowed to take drugs, to prevent them from hurting someone.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #117 on: April 27, 2010, 01:03:20 am »

5.38 Leftiness points, Factor 7.28 Libertarian.

I think I'm kinda more extreme than the test thinks though. My ideal is "You may do anything so long as it does not infringe on the rights of others to do anything."
There's a lot of gray area in that, I'll admit. Particularly sharing resources... It's a work in progress.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Forumsdwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 27, 2010, 02:19:11 am »

A better example would've been drugs
I mentioned drugs, both prescription and the always illegal kind.  For some reason everyone seems to be most interested in my casual speculation on what "libertarian extremism" might look like.  Ironically it was probably the least important part of what I wrote.

A belief in rehabilitation so extreme it would permit the parole of serial killers seems a decent depiction of extremist libertarianism, so extreme that no actual libertarian would actually believe in it.

While not directly analogous, the "Free Mumia" movement is a pretty good example of how extreme libertarian extremists can get.  (On the authoritarian - libertarian axis.)

I agree with those who have said that libertarians -- and Libertarians -- believe that a lack of law and order diminishes liberty.  That's why the "Free Mumia" libertarians I flagged as extremists not even Libertarians would make common cause with.  Yet the extreme faction does exist, and it would be hard to argue they were extremist authoritarians, so unless you want to take the position that they're bat shit crazy and don't belong on the graph at all they have to go somewhere.
"Let them eat XXtroutXX!" -Troas

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 27, 2010, 02:23:05 am »

Libertarian - Anyone should be allowed to take drugs, as long as they don't hurt someone.
Authoritarian - No one should be allowed to take drugs, to prevent them from hurting someone.

Depends what you count as hurting someone. When you have a free healthcare the issues some drugs can cause can be a drain on it and so in turn remove resources from those that aren't suffering self inflicted harm. Personally I'm pro legalisation but there are still issues that would have to be considered, probably along the lines of a tax on the drugs to pay for care but that doesn't cover the costs of currently legal drugs very well so it's all debatable.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 26